Eurosport Rankings

MVM

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BigG, can you offer any comments or provide a source that can speak to the almost unanimous inconsistencies in the polls? Each year there are one, sometimes two questions. This year it seems very little of the rankings has to do with wins, losses, or strength of opponents. Frankly, it's almost an embarrassment.

There is a link on the Eurosport website on the bottom of the page that says " Please send any questions about TN High School Soccer to: Coach Bill McCloskey II at smyrnasoccer@yahoo.com " . But, I honestly don't think it is Eurosports "fault" for the inaccuracies of the polls. I think that would come from the submissions of the nominations. Some possible reasons are that they are not getting enough submissions or if they are, the submissions they are getting are not accurate or well thought out.

One of the problems is that it truly does take time to make your submissions accurate. You have to do research, cross reference scores, read articles across the state, and then try and come up with the most objective "top 10" that you can. And even then, how accurate can it be, since you haven't actually seen those teams play? Are coaches doing that? I don't know. The one's I know are, but that doesn't mean that they all are. How does one become a voting member? Again, not sure... I am a member of the NSCAA, the THSSCA, NFHS, and TACA... I think it is one of those (if I had to guess, it would be the NSCAA). I was just contacted to submit my weekly votes to a region rep. (I don't do this for the girls season, just the guys).

Polls are both loved and hated (sometimes in the same breath!) and great fodder for debate, BUT they won't get you a place in the tournament. They can be a blessing and a curse; pump a team up to play you, or intimidate a team that is playing you.

I don't think polls will ever satisfy everyone, but I would agree that, at least in the girls season so far this year, they could be a little more accurate than they are.

I will take the time to share thoughts with potential solutions rather than obvious problems. To re-state, on a scale of 1-10, the polls are generally an 8 or at least a solid seven on an accuracy scale. THis year, I would give them a 3. ALl kidding aside, I find many more oddities than one can find normal. I guess if you are on the upside, your not complaining but I am still looking for a pattern or irregularity, as the obvious seems non-existent.