Brentwood Acadamy

Germantown

Cleveland

Melrose

Hillsboro

Brentwood

Maplewood

Alcoa

Thank you kwc. I always respect your opinion especially on memphis related teams.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is Oakland on this list? They have the best record in the best region in tennessee

Thats a matter of opinion. In my opinion ... Oakland didn't make the cut. In my opinion ... 8-5A is the hardest region. Thats what makes this forum so great. You have your opinion. I have mine. Who is wrong? It's all subjective, no matter how you look at it. Therefore, in MY opinion ... Oakland got left out. They aren't the only GOOD team left off ... it happens.

Thank you kwc. I always respect your opinion especially on memphis related teams.

YW patriot04. I wasn't going to participate in this because it's no way to possibly know who the best are. If you wouldn't have asked me by name I would have gladly side stepped this subject altogether. This is an opinion thing based upon a persons first hand knowledge and their interpretations of data and what not. Those on the east side of the state all think the eastern teams are the cats pajamas. Those in the middle will favor the middle. Those of us in the west will favor west teams. Its what we know best because we are familiar with them. The truth is somewhere in the mix ... but who knows really? My list mainly consist of large schools. There are no 1A teams. Alcoa is the only 2A team, and I had to seriously debate whether or not to put them on the list; and as you can see, they are at the bottom. There are no 3A teams on my list either. In my opinion, a really good 5A team will beat a really good 3A and below team. Thats just how I see it. My list consist of 4A and above ... and I still left off Cookville and Oakland to name a few.

YW patriot04. I wasn't going to participate in this because it's no way to possibly know who the best are. If you wouldn't have asked me by name I would have gladly side stepped this subject altogether. This is an opinion thing based upon a persons first hand knowledge and their interpretations of data and what not. Those on the east side of the state all think the eastern teams are the cats pajamas. Those in the middle will favor the middle. Those of us in the west will favor west teams. Its what we know best because we are familiar with them. The truth is somewhere in the mix ... but who knows really? My list mainly consist of large schools. There are no 1A teams. Alcoa is the only 2A team, and I had to seriously debate whether or not to put them on the list; and as you can see, they are at the bottom. There are no 3A teams on my list either. In my opinion, a really good 5A team will beat a really good 3A and below team. Thats just how I see it. My list consist of 4A and above ... and I still left off Cookville and Oakland to name a few.

I believe we ( Alcoa) could beat most 3A teams this year and a handful of 4 and 5A teams

uh lets see the last few years east tennessee has won the 2, 3, and 4a titles almost every year so until that changes i dont think u can claim to be the best.

if u consider 1-5A champions , which means 5 gold balls a year

Out of the last 4 years , 10 out of 20 gold balls have come home to East Tennessee

The Apocalypse must be imminent when there are even any remote implications of MBA and Brentwood Academy ducking competition. Let??™s see what we??™ve witnessed since the advent of DII:

1997/98 ??“ MBA??™s non-conference schedule includes defending 4A runner-up Knoxville Halls and defending (and future) 4A champion Pearl-Cohn. P-C??™s only loss in 1997 is to MBA. PC is defending again in 1998.

1999/2000 ??“ MBA??™s non-conference schedule in 1999 includes a game at Lincoln County??™s ???The Pit???, a game at defending 5A champion Oakland, and a home game with Bolles (FL), a program less than 4 years removed from a number one national ranking for much of the 1995 season.

2001/2002 - MBA??™s non-conference schedule includes a matchup with the state??™s all-time wins leader, Dobyns-Bennett.

2003/2004 ??“ MBA??™s non-conference schedule includes a matchup against Trinity (KY), fresh off a Top 5 national ranking in 2002 and having the one of the nation??™s top-rated quarterbacks, and an athletic northern Mississippi team (Southaven). Trinity wins KY state in 2003.

2005/2006 ??“ MBA??™s non-conference schedule in 2005 includes Trinity again (and a state title winner in 2005 and 2006) and Byrnes (SC), a team itself destined for a Top 5 national ranking in 2005. Byrnes drops off the schedule in 2006 for another KY team (Dunbar).

2007/2008 - MBA??™s non-conference schedule in 2007 includes Independence (future 5A runner-up in 2007), defending 5A runner-up Ravenwood, and defending 4A runner-up Hillsboro. Independence drops off in 2008 and is replaced with Cincinnati Moeller, a program with multiple national titles and member of what is arguably one of the nation??™s most competitive leagues in a football-rich state.

Look at Brentwood Academy and it??™s much of the same: many past and future large DI classification champs beaten (Brentwood, Ravenwood, Smyrna), not to mention an out-of-conference slate that spans about 8 states ??“ including Alaska (as if Brentwood Academy would rather go to Alaska than east Tennessee?). And that slate includes programs like Cincinnati St. Xavier (league member with Moeller and itself a mythical national champion in 2007) and Prattville, the back-to-back large school champ in Alabama.

No, Maryville??™s phone is not ringing off the hook from MBA and BA (when a school plays the same non-conference schedule for 12 years, I think the message is clear that gate/county games are more important than marquee matchups, and I have no problem with that whatsoever), but even if Maryville had schedule openings, how could you even suggest that MBA and BA would not make that phone call? I challenge anyone to name two programs that have shown the ???any time, any place??? rallying cry that those two Nashville-area schools have shown in putting together their non-conference slates for the past dozen seasons. And, given that MBA and BA play in a classification that has, far and away, dominated all other classifications in DI in head-to-head matchups since the split, the fact that MBA and BA still choose to tackle their monsters schedules says even more about those schools??™ views on competition.

And, as for ???Maryville football [being the] the standard in the state of Tennessee right now???, I certainly will not dispute anyone who espouses that belief. Sixty-four wins in a row and four titles in a row is a feat that makes a program more than deserving of recognition as being the standard in any state. However, I can guarantee you that there are plenty of dissenting views as well ??“ both in this state and around the country ??“ that label other Tennessee schools as the standard, and those people aren??™t exactly standing on wooden legs themselves.

Boy you really hit the spot. Your coaches at MBA recruit better than the University of Tennessee. Watch out, or you might loose some of those great recruiters to Brentwood Academy, HA HA. You rich folks at MBA never look at the big picture.

Boy you really hit the spot. Your coaches at MBA recruit better than the University of Tennessee. Watch out, or you might loose some of those great recruiters to Brentwood Academy, HA HA. You rich folks at MBA never look at the big picture.

What is the "big picture" as it relates to scheduling - the issue to which I responded? Is acknowledging - and not having a problem with - the schedule that Maryville chooses to play for financial purposes not looking at the big picture?

Thats a matter of opinion. In my opinion ... Oakland didn't make the cut. In my opinion ... 8-5A is the hardest region. Thats what makes this forum so great. You have your opinion. I have mine. Who is wrong? It's all subjective, no matter how you look at it. Therefore, in MY opinion ... Oakland got left out. They aren't the only GOOD team left off ... it happens.

Yea, well they were ranked 6th in the associated press so opinion or not they know more than both of us. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

You really can't say who the best team is yeah Maryville is 64-0 and Alcoa has only lost to Maryville but the thing is every team in the state doesn't play one another in order to truly get an accurate ranking you would have to play a round robin type tourney to cut to the chase and get the rankings truly correct. Same with college ball the rankings mean absolutely nothing. Oboma/Palin for president no rank that........................

What is the "big picture" as it relates to scheduling - the issue to which I responded? Is acknowledging - and not having a problem with - the schedule that Maryville chooses to play for financial purposes not looking at the big picture?

Finally someone that speaks the truth.........

Yea, well they were ranked 6th in the associated press so opinion or not they know more than both of us. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

That's a nice sounding statement, but what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? I don't give a Fig Newton about where the AP has them ranked. I submitted what I THOUGHT. The tittle of this thread asked individuals who THEY think are the best, not who the AP selected. Whether or not the writers association has a better grasp of what goes on throughout the state ... (They have no more then their working knowledge of the area in which they cover, nothing more, nothing less ... it's a numbers thing with them) ... has no bearing on this thread.

The "big picture" is that when you have the ability to recruit as a high school team, you can pretty much schedule whom ever you like. And you are probablly going to match up against anyone who comes your way. I guess thats just life, but I'm pretty sure that MBA or any other private school for that matter would not have the loads of tallent that they have if it was not for the generous donations to your athletic fund. Just my opinion, but you know what they say about those. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />