Week 4 Big games in Memphis

kwc

Ok folks, this is week 4 and Region play is beginning to get underway. This week there are quite a few big games going on. I will list the games that I think are big as follows:

MUS vs CBHS:

This may be THE big game of all of the big games this week. Both are presently undefeated. CBHS has beat FOUR area 5A teams in a row; White Station and Wooddale from 8-5A and Ridgeway and Craigmont from 7-5A. Three of those games CBHS only had one TD scored on then in the entire game. Against Wooddale, they surrendered 12 points. Their offense was held to 10 points against White Station but against every one else they have scored 21 points or better. MUS has two wins against area 4A teams, Melrose and Kingsbury; one victory against 2A Carver; and a victory against MS power Olive Branch who is in the largest classification for Mississippi high schools. MUS had a one point victory over Melrose, but their other victories were by wider margins. They put 45 on Kingsbury and 59 on Carver. Both teams are disciplined. Both teams have good defenses. Both teams have played quality opponents. The game will be played at CBHS but that's not going to be too much of a factor because this rivalry goes back so far. Both have good defenses. The only thing I see is that MUS has a more prolific offense then CBHS.

Pick: MUS

Whitehaven vs Collierville

There is already a thread started on this game so I won't go into much detail. You already know that I am a Whitehaven fan so you know who I'm going to pick. Collierville is a very good 8-5A team and the region is so tough, every 8-5A region victory is crucial.

Pick: Whitehaven

Germantown vs. White Station

White Station has started off this season 1-2. They lost to CBHS and Whitehaven while beating East pretty convincingly. Germantown on the otherhand is 3-0 with three victories over 5A teams; Arlington, Bartlett and Collierville. White Station is hosting Germantown but that's not going to be too much of a factor; even when White Station was winning games under coach Wright, White Station didn't have capacity crowds then. This is a crucial game for both teams. Germantown is the favorite in this game.

Pick: Germantown

I will finish the rest later. (Now to finish what I started earlier)

Bolton vs Craigmont

This is a clash between 7-5A teams with both Bolton and Craigmont are 1-2; but this is a must win game for both teams because they both have a region loss already. Bolton loss a heart breaker to Cordova last week in a defensive battle by a score of 7-3. Craigmont had Millinton on the ropes last week comming up on the plus side of the turnover battle +6 or something crazy like that; but they didn't come away with the victory losing 17-12. So, both teams have to pick themselves up and dust themselves off because it another week and the competition for post season play is tight. Both have played against good competition to date. Craigmont has played Raleigh-Egypt (3A), CBHS (D2-2A), and Millington (5A). Bolton has played against three 5A teams in Houston, Bartlett, and Cordova. Bolton's D has pretty much kept their opponents in check. Houston put 21 on them, but Cordova scored only once and so did Bartlett. Craigmont has given up at least 2 TD in each game. Craigmont has scored at least twice in each game except againt CBHS where they scored only once. Bolton's O is enemic putting up 13 against Bartlett, 7 against Houston, and a field goal against Cordova. This is a hard game to choose so I'm just going with my gut on this one.

Pick: Bolton

Melrose vs Kingsbury

This is a 8-4A match up that looked pretty intriguing before the season started. With Kingsbury being without the services of their outstanding RB, Gabriel Hunter, due to a knee injury sustained in their horrible loss to MUS earlier this season, I'm going with the favorite.

Pick: Melrose

Kirby vs Hamilton

Another 8-5A battle that may shed some light on the Kirby football program process. Hamilton is 1-1 with a victory over 2A Hillcrest and a terrible 64-6 pounding from Houston. The game against Fayette-Ware didn't count for some reason. Meanwhile, Kirby is 4-0 currently. They beat three 3A teams in Raleigh-Egypt, Fayette Ware, and Haywood. Thier other victory was against fellow 8-5A member Wooddale by a score of 22-6. Kirby has put up 40 points twice and 30 points against Haywood. Thier D has given up 21 against Haywood, but all of the other games they only gave up one TD. A win here has Kirby with two 8-5A victories looking good going into the meat of the 8-5A schedule.

Pick: Kirby

Briarcrest vs BGA

This is a very intriguing non region match-up between two undefeated teams. BGA is a D2-AA team with victories over East Hickman (6-2A), Davidson Acadamy (D2-A), Father Ryan (D2-AA), and Ezell-Harding (5-2A). Briarcrest has victories over Carver (8-2A), St. Georges (D2-A), Southwind (future 7-5A), and Sheffield (8-3A). BGA's only competative game was against Father Ryan which they won 7-3. Briarcrest had two competative vitories; a 28-20 win over Southwind and a 27-24 win over Sheffield. This is going to be a good one. I think BGA beating Father Ryan is a huge win for them. Both are battle tested. BGA has to travel from middle Tennessee. I'm going with the home team.

Pick: Briarcrest.

Well ... that's it for me. Jump on in and tell me what you think.

I agree that MUS will beat CBHS, but this a rivalry so I don't think it will be easy. Gotta go with Whitehaven over Collierville. I just don't think the Dragons can be physical enough or athletic enough. Too much speed! Germantown and White Station will be interesting. Is Germantown returning to form? Have the Spartans adjusted to their new coach's style? Questions that may be answered Friday night. I'm gonna give the edge to Germantown in this one. But only slightly.

I agree that MUS will beat CBHS, but this a rivalry so I don't think it will be easy. Gotta go with Whitehaven over Collierville. I just don't think the Dragons can be physical enough or athletic enough. Too much speed! Germantown and White Station will be interesting. Is Germantown returning to form? Have the Spartans adjusted to their new coach's style? Questions that may be answered Friday night. I'm gonna give the edge to Germantown in this one. But only slightly.

You guys are lucky to watch your teams play. There is a team close to the church I ptor here in Pittsburgh named Bethel Park, they re awesome but it is hard to connect with them.

Good to se you Galilee. I think Mitchell beats Hillcrest this Friday. I know you have talked to your folks at Mitchell already. What was their explanation for allowing Fairley to put up 64? What was that all about? That score shocked me.

I knew going into the season our DL would would have to grow up fast. Loosing 3 starters who all are playing college ball now hurt us bad. I think we win the region still. We are 0-4 but we were 1-3 at this stage last year. Turnovers are killing us at QB with the ints. Ken Torry is impossible to replace. Coach had a meeting and the team attitude is great. I hope we can get it together.

I knew going into the season our DL would would have to grow up fast. Loosing 3 starters who all are playing college ball now hurt us bad. I think we win the region still. We are 0-4 but we were 1-3 at this stage last year. Turnovers are killing us at QB with the ints. Ken Torry is impossible to replace. Coach had a meeting and the team attitude is great. I hope we can get it together.

I'm glad their attitude is good. Man ... just think ... CBHS is still on the schedule. But ... they will be ready for the post season, that's for sure.