mba vs ravenwood

whoisjeff

as bigreddad said, the game was terribly officiated.

ravenwoods fans were really disapointing for all the hype rappy gave them. mba's fans had more character and intensity.

mba could have easily blown that game out more than they did as they had some big drops, one being an easy touchdown, but a good win to have while playing mediocre football.

ravenwood played well, their running back is very elusive and their qb is very scrappy and tough.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as bigreddad said, the game was terribly officiated.

ravenwoods fans were really disapointing for all the hype rappy gave them. mba's fans had more character and intensity.

mba could have easily blown that game out more than they did as they had some big drops, one being an easy touchdown, but a good win to have while playing mediocre football.

ravenwood played well, their running back is very elusive and their qb is very scrappy and tough.

Ravenwood was not very big, but their Oline was tall. Trying to find that running back was like trying to find a mouse behind a snowplow, but after the first drive I though MBA adjusted pretty well, just like they did last week against JPII. They made a whole lot better adjustments then the Vols did against UCLA. Goes to show you what good coaching will do.

Well, the Ravenwood that beat BA and BHS showed up tonight; not the one that lost the opener to Goodpasture. RHS had Bo Gilroy in the Goodpasture game and still could only put 7 on the board - amazing considering what some other schools have put up on Goodpasture's D. Tonight's game reinforced the quality coach I think Rector is - this Ravenwood team looked light years better than what I saw in the Goodpasture game.

Ravenwood's offense looked good. The QB looked poised and had nice protection; good, quick, RB also. The defense looked pretty good, too - secondary was a little vulnerable but the front 7 did well against the run, save for a few gashes here and there.

Fitz Lassing (FB/LB) for MBA is a bull - he looks like an old-school fullback and can glide just as much as he can bulldoze tacklers.

This was indeed a good game, despite the aforementioned issues.

I just caught the last 8 minutes or so on the internet feed. The officiating was unbelievable!

There was a "no call" on a clear late hit by a Ravenwood lineman that was overlooked. A few plays later a two-handed hold by a Ravenwood lineman (witnessed by the entire stadium) was overlooked while Ravenwood threw for a first down. The same player held again on the next play (another completion) and still no call.

A personal foul was called against MBA for roughing the passer. The hit occurred while the ball was still in his hand and he was throwing it. That call negated an interception that would have put the game on ice. The flag did not come out until the ball was in MBA's hands.

Finally, the clock debacle at the end was a joke.

Listen, if the TSSAA can't avoid bias in these games, we will need to complete the public-private split by bringing in out-of-state officials to work these games. It was an embarrassment to Tennessee football and a disservice to the kids and coaches who try to do things with the expectation of a level playing field.

I understand that no one is perfect, but, if Ed Hochuli was excoriated for the one error that he made in the Chargers-Broncos game, these guys should be banished to Youth League Football. Mr. Referee, you should return your paycheck for your work tonight.

Well, the Ravenwood that beat BA and BHS showed up tonight; not the one that lost the opener to Goodpasture. RHS had Bo Gilroy in the Goodpasture game and still could only put 7 on the board - amazing considering what some other schools have put up on Goodpasture's D. Tonight's game reinforced the quality coach I think Rector is - this Ravenwood team looked light years better than what I saw in the Goodpasture game.

Ravenwood's offense looked good. The QB looked poised and had nice protection; good, quick, RB also. The defense looked pretty good, too - secondary was a little vulnerable but the front 7 did well against the run, save for a few gashes here and there.

Fitz Lassing (FB/LB) for MBA is a bull - he looks like an old-school fullback and can glide just as much as he can bulldoze tacklers.

This was indeed a good game, despite the aforementioned issues.

Someone please explain to me how this Ravenwood team lost to Goodpasture.

This was an exciting game to watch, but it will not be fun in the film room tomorrow.

Ravenwood was very well prepared and was certainly capable of winning this game. I think MBA had about 10 false starts when Ravenwood would pre-snap slide gap. There is no excuse for that. MBA is not putting teams away, and it will come back to haunt them at some point this season; I just hope that it is before the playoffs. MBA had two potential TD passes dropped tonight that would have significantly impacted the game early in the 3rd quarter.

MBA was out of control defensively in the first half, flying up field and creating running lanes that the Ravenwood RB had a lot of fun with. He is a really good player. MBA's pass rush was also out of control; not until the last Ravenwood drive did an MBA pass rusher stay under control and get a solid sack. A big "hats off" to the Ravenwood QB; he is smooth under pressure, and has a good ability to elude the rush while keeping his eyes focused downfield to find the open receiver.

Against the run, MBA stayed level in the second half and eliminated the running lanes that occur when defenders get too far upfield; that had a significant impact on Ravenwood's ability to run.

As for the officiating, it was awful. I'd have to say the worst was starting the clock after an incomplete pass by Ravenwood. Ravenwood had to lose 15 to 20 seconds off the clock, and if they would have moved the ball down the field, those seconds would have been critical.

Dropped passes and penalties will get you beat at some point this year MBA. Correct it now; it is simply unacceptable for an MBA team; you are better prepared than that.

All in all, this was another exciting HS football game.

Thanks to both schools for scheduling quality opponents and not ducking the competition.

Roll Red Roll

I just caught the last 8 minutes or so on the internet feed. The officiating was unbelievable!

There was a "no call" on a clear late hit by a Ravenwood lineman that was overlooked. A few plays later a clean hit was called a personal foul against MBA.

A personal foul was called against MBA for roughing the passer. The hit occurred while the ball was still in his hand and he was throwing it. That call negated an interception that would have put the game on ice. The flag did not come out until the ball was in MBA's hands.

Finally, the clock debacle at the end was a joke.

Listen, if the TSSAA can't avoid bias in these games, we will need to complete the public-private split by bringing in out-of-state officials to work these games. It was an embarrassment to Tennessee football and a disservice to the kids and coaches who try to do things with the expectation of a level playing field.

I understand that no one is perfect, but, if Ed Hochuli was excoriated for the one error that he made in the Chargers-Broncos game, these guys should be banished to Youth League Football. Mr. Referee, you should return your paycheck for your work tonight.

After the referee (yes, the white haired man wearing the white hat) gave the ball back to Ravenwood after Corcoran intercepted it because he judged that MBA had roughed the QB (unbelievably bad call for the pass had been tipped) smugly said to one of the MBA defenders, "It looks like the mighty have fallen!"

Another call they missed was the fumble of the Ravenwood QB. The referee (white hat) made the call on a play where he couldn't see the ball. The very first cardinal rule in officiating is don't blow the whistle or make a call unless you can see the ball. I was on the MBA sideline and could see the ball coming out. There was no way the white haired ref could have made the call he did because he was out of position and his line of sight was blocked by the body of the Ravenwood QB. Yet he gave the ball back to Ravenwood. Afterward, two Ravenwood parents said, "We got some bad calls against us, but you guys got jobbed tonight [by the refs]; it was embarrassing. Especially on the interception and the fumble! I sarcastically replied, "You think?" Then they asked, "Where did you dig those guys up?" I said, "We don't get them; the TSSAA assigns them!"

Several times late in the 4th qtr. the referee would signal the ECO to start the clock and he wouldn't start (this went against both teams). Then, there were several times when the whistle would blow to signal the play was dead and the ECO would not stop the clock.

There was a no call on a Ravenwood defender was on top of and throwing punches at MBA's #53. I've seen players ejected for doing that, twice. Once in a high school game and once in a college game.

On third and long in the 4th qtr. MBA's #8 had his man beaten on a fly pattern and as the ball came down the defender reached out and grabbed a hand full of jersey thus keeping #8 from catching the pass...no call! MBA fans went nuts on that one. Had he caught he only had about 20 yards to go for a TD and probably would have scored.

This crew was incompetent...it looked like their very first game to ever officiate...their mechanics were poor....they were out of position because the didn't run well...and were biased against MBA...they made a number of no-calls that had they been called against Ravenwood the game wouldn't have been close. Another TSSAA crew that favored the public school over the private school. And when the referee smugly and clearly verbalizes his bias against MBA to an MBA player on the field...if there ever was a crew that deserves a suspension it was this one.

You know I hear you about bad refs. DB saw some of the worst refs last week against Jeff Co. DB fans generally don't get good call at home because the refs are made up of Tri Cities area crews many of who played ball and got beat by DB in their playing days because DB has dominated that area for a long time. Going to Knoxville is no better (many are conference games) because we usually win there too and we feel like we get a raw deal.

By the way DB vs MBA in 2000 & 2001 was as good as football gets. The thing is, you gotta calculate those factors in. When most want to beat you, chances are some refs might not mind you losing. But, to other teams you are lumped in as a whiner and or a sore winner (usually) loser (sometimes). To me if a ref said those things, it is hearsay at best and second or third hand info. If a ref really said that, lord help us. But, you guys won and perhaps it could have been by more. Keep winning classy and that is all that matters.

This was an exciting game to watch, but it will not be fun in the film room tomorrow.

Ravenwood was very well prepared and was certainly capable of winning this game. I think MBA had about 10 false starts when Ravenwood would pre-snap slide gap. There is no excuse for that. MBA is not putting teams away, and it will come back to haunt them at some point this season; I just hope that it is before the playoffs. MBA had two potential TD passes dropped tonight that would have significantly impacted the game early in the 3rd quarter.

MBA was out of control defensively in the first half, flying up field and creating running lanes that the Ravenwood RB had a lot of fun with. He is a really good player. MBA's pass rush was also out of control; not until the last Ravenwood drive did an MBA pass rusher stay under control and get a solid sack. A big "hats off" to the Ravenwood QB; he is smooth under pressure, and has a good ability to elude the rush while keeping his eyes focused downfield to find the open receiver.

Against the run, MBA stayed level in the second half and eliminated the running lanes that occur when defenders get too far upfield; that had a significant impact on Ravenwood's ability to run.

As for the officiating, it was awful. I'd have to say the worst was starting the clock after an incomplete pass by Ravenwood. Ravenwood had to lose 15 to 20 seconds off the clock, and if they would have moved the ball down the field, those seconds would have been critical.

Dropped passes and penalties will get you beat at some point this year MBA. Correct it now; it is simply unacceptable for an MBA team; you are better prepared than that.

Thanks to both schools for scheduling quality opponents and not ducking the competition.

Roll Red Roll

You are spot on in your analysis. This a good news bad news scenario. Bad news that they are still making these mistakes, but good news that they are 6-0 and still have a lot of room to improve. If they keep working hard and stay focused, this team can achieve something special.

Roll Red Roll

Dead on in every aspect. I do worry that at some point these missed opportunities will come home to haunt us.

Hats off to Ravenwood. I'm not sure I've ever seen a more unpredictable offense.