Bearden vs. Halls

Knoxville21

Right now Halls Offese has no leadership. You can blame it on the players, coaches, whomever. That won't fix it. On many plays we look like the keystone cops.

New to this year:

RB - Soph O'Laughlin #6 replaces Kitts

WR - SR Johnson #2 replaces Dayton

FB - JR Burton #34 replaces Gunter/Kelly

C - SR Raby # 55 replaces Plunk

OT - JR Mcfalls #79 replaces Blair

Co-ordinator - Wiliams replaces Ward

RB coach Kilgore replaces Williams

You decide were we are missing it, but we are REALLY struggling. No identity, no playmakers, etc. Not counting Gibbs we take what look to be huge gains and get 8 - 10 yards. Last year on these same plays (lesser holes) we took them to the house!

I don't see how Halls can play this one close. I believe many have written this year off and hoped some of the younger guys can get better for next year. (It looked that way to me early in the year)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now Halls Offese has no leadership. You can blame it on the players, coaches, whomever. That won't fix it. On many plays we look like the keystone cops.

New to this year:

RB - Soph O'Laughlin #6 replaces Kitts

WR - SR Johnson #2 replaces Dayton

FB - JR Burton #34 replaces Gunter/Kelly

C - SR Raby # 55 replaces Plunk

OT - JR Mcfalls #79 replaces Blair

Co-ordinator - Wiliams replaces Ward

RB coach Kilgore replaces Williams

You decide were we are missing it, but we are REALLY struggling. No identity, no playmakers, etc. Not counting Gibbs we take what look to be huge gains and get 8 - 10 yards. Last year on these same plays (lesser holes) we took them to the house!

I don't see how Halls can play this one close. I believe many have written this year off and hoped some of the younger guys can get better for next year. (It looked that way to me early in the year)

Does anyone remember the Maryville Halls thread at the very first of the year and how last years seniors wouldn't be missed? The surprising thing to me was numerous Halls posters felt this way and some Maryville posters were in total disbelief actually defending our players.

Ironman what you listed above tells the tale. We had a very explosive offense last year it was always going to be a very tough act to follow. I still think this has caused a lot of frustration to the fan in the stands who bought into another high octane offense this year. It's just not the same in design or execution. We have to move on and play to the strengths we have this year which is following our dominant OL.

The time is now I can't see next year being any better in fact we will be in another rebuilding year waiting on this years freshman class to develop.

Does anyone remember the Maryville Halls thread at the very first of the year and how last years seniors wouldn't be missed? The surprising thing to me was numerous Halls posters felt this way and some Maryville posters were in total disbelief actually defending our players.

Ironman what you listed above tells the tale. We had a very explosive offense last year it was always going to be a very tough act to follow. I still think this has caused a lot of frustration to the fan in the stands who bought into another high octane offense this year. It's just not the same in design or execution. We have to move on and play to the strengths we have this year which is following our dominant OL.

The time is now I can't see next year being any better in fact we will be in another rebuilding year waiting on this years freshman class to develop.

Waiting on this class to develop? ZCAR some of us aren't as in the know as you and others are, how good could this class be? What's their record? Who's the players? etc. Anything would be appreciated

I believe Halls will pull an upset this week. Bearden will overlook the Devils and we will come out fired up and play better than anyone expected.

Ironman80 AI have a question for you. Why did Coach Williams give up the RB job to become the coordinater? Can't he do both jobs or is that a tall order for him? (how about that pun!!!)

Waiting on this class to develop? ZCAR some of us aren't as in the know as you and others are, how good could this class be? What's their record? Who's the players? etc. Anything would be appreciated

I have watched this group come up from Park ball the last few years and looking just at the skill positions the players to watch are at RB's Jared Long and Grant Painter who hit the line of scrimmage with a burst and will complement McLaughlin when he is a senior. We will have to learn to throw the ball with not one but two talented wideouts in Rico Bryant and Austin Smith all four of these players are playmakers and can change a game on one play. So the pipeline looks well stocked and the future very bright. I think the Freshman are 3-1 so far with only a loss to Maryville on week one.

Powell"s freshman look very strong after beating a tough Maryville group last nite.

I have watched this group come up from Park ball the last few years and looking just at the skill positions the players to watch are at RB's Jared Long and Grant Painter who hit the line of scrimmage with a burst and will complement McLaughlin when he is a senior. We will have to learn to throw the ball with not one but two talented wideouts in Rico Bryant and Austin Smith all four of these players are playmakers and can change a game on one play. So the pipeline looks well stocked and the future very bright. I think the Freshman are 3-1 so far with only a loss to Maryville on week one.

Powell"s freshman look very strong after beating a tough Maryville group last nite.

I agree with your assessment ZCAR. These freshmen also have at least 2 or 3 pretty good linemen which we need. I am not sure of their names.

I got to see the freshmen win last night over West. So they are now 4-1.

Why was there no JV game afterward?

That's exciting, but let me ask, how big are the wideouts? Do they have some height that could cause some trouble for opposing corners? Also how's the QB in that class? Also is Jared Long related to Jake Long who's a Junior on Varsity?

Bearden is a young team. They have a strong soph. class. After playing DB and Farragut, they will not be overlooking any team.

I agree. I don't see Bearden overlooking anyone this year. This is a key game for Halls, even though it is a non-region game. They haven't lived up to the "hype," and they need a win against a good opponent. The good news for Halls is that they finish with South Doyle and Lenoir City, so the next 2 games after the Bulldogs (Clinton, Powell) will be huge. If they find a way to beat Bearden, Halls may gain the momentum they need for that stretch run.

I think expectations really derailed this Halls team, at least to this point. There are still plenty of games remaining, but how can you not look at their situation and wonder how they are 2-3? The way they lost to Maryville probably has a little bit to do with it, because I don't think this team has really recovered from that. Sure, they beat Central (and Gibbs), but they still look like they haven't quite clicked yet. Maybe the expectations were too high. Maybe their heads are still down, especially after the loss to West. There's no real way to know for sure. The good news for Halls, though, is that if you can beat Clinton or Powell (or even win both), you will more than likely make the playoffs.

On another note, I agree with HB - Bearden has a very strong Sophomore class. I got to see Bearden's JV squad against Karns last night, and they look very very good (Bearden won 42-12). They have an excellent run/pass balance, and their QB (Kyle Reimer), might actually be better than their varsity starter (Ryan Potter).

I agree with your assessment ZCAR. These freshmen also have at least 2 or 3 pretty good linemen which we need. I am not sure of their names.

I got to see the freshmen win last night over West. So they are now 4-1.

Why was there no JV game afterward?

That's exciting as well! 2 or 3 linemen in one class is a blessing. Sometimes a class will wind up having no linemen that can play at the varsity level. Let's hope the linemen truly can play in the future, maybe even next year if necessary. Since you appear to have been at the game, do the frosh coaches get the ball to the wideouts you and zcar have been talking about? That would be ashame if they didn't and those kids are playmakers like you've said. Also i wouldn't imagine coach Julian canceling any game so I would guess West canceled. They did have a lot of young guys playing important spots according to their concession stand workers I was talking to Friday night.

That's exciting, but let me ask, how big are the wideouts? Do they have some height that could cause some trouble for opposing corners? Also how's the QB in that class? Also is Jared Long related to Jake Long who's a Junior on Varsity?

Good question you will like what you hear. Rico is a beanpole he will tower over most smaller quicker DB's and should provide a excellent target for anyone throwing the ball to him. If he stays focused he could be a major weapon if used correctly. He should be the player who in a jump ball situation will come out on top. He has the experience that everyone was hoping for from Zabowski before he got hurt. The big difference was Zabowski never played organized football before so he was always going to be a big question mark going into this season. Austin Smith also good height could be a TE or WR he has meat on his bones with deceptive speed. You get him lumbering in the open most defensive backs won't be able to arm tackle him too easily. In him you have a Jason Witten type player. These two together should provide the balance and width that Halls has needed this year to open up a good running game. I expect this offense when they are juniors and seniors to be moving the chains and put some points on the board. I know I'm excited about what they both could bring to us.

Jared is Jakes younger brother and although looks thin framed he has the moves and tenacity like Mclaughlin don't underestimate his build he should be a good varsity player.