MBA vs.CPA scrimmage

Rollredroll,

It is interesting that you note CPA had problems with contain. I watched a lot of film on several teams last year and CPA was one of them. I have never seen anyone get outside on them. Everybody who beat them last year did so by passing.

Several years ago Paul Wade left DCA and went to CPA as line coach. (I still don't know why he left but it was a real loss). Since then their line play has been outstanding. Their lineman and blocking backs were the best I saw last year and they were equally good on defense. But they were especially strong on contain and I'm sure that came from Paul. Your comment makes me wonder if he has some holes in his lineup this year.

Keep your eye on Paul. One of these days he will be a really good head coach somewhere.

[Edited by scout on 8-10-02 1:48P]

[Edited by scout on 8-11-02 8:27P]

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

scout,

Paul Wade did make a huge difference to the CPA program when he joined us 3 years ago and I'm sure he will be a great head coach one day. During the first 2 quarters last night there was indeed a few problems of MBA making big plays on the outside. Paul obviously made some adjustments because they looked a lot better in the 4th Quarter defense.

Posted by scout:

Rollredroll,

It is interesting that you note CPA had problems with contain. I watched a lot of film on several teams last year and CPA was one of them. I have never seen anyone get outside of them. Everybody who beat them last year did so by passing.

Several years ago Paul Wade left DCA and went to CPA as line coach. (I still don't know why he left but it was a real loss). Since then their line play has been outstanding. Their lineman and blocking backs were the best I saw last year and they were equally good on defense. But they were especially strong on contain and I'm sure that came from Paul. Your comment makes me wonder if he has some holes in his lineup this year.

Keep your eye on Paul. One of these days he will be a really good head coach somewhere.

[Edited by scout on 8-10-02 1:48P]

Scout, admittedly, I never had a good angle of the field. But it seems like MBA's QB was able to escape towards the sideline quite a bit and squeeze out extra yardage. That may have been more due to his scrambling ability than poor containment.

Although I'm not rollred *nor do I want to be* :D, I do have an opinion about whether Michael Fisher has D-1 talent.

Michael has three things working for him:

1) Coming from great athletic bloodlines (Fisher's father was a quarterback and, i think, baseball player at Vandy in the 70's), Michael automatically has a leg up on other college prospects. Like with Peyton and Eli Manning, Fisher's name will automatically command attention from those in the know. But even with that on his side, Michael will still have to prove himself on the field.

2) Barring injury, before his high school career is over Michael will have had the experience of being a three-year starting quarterback in arguably the toughest classification in the state. Those three years of competing against some of the most well-coached teams in the state is something that can't be taught - it's cliche, i know, but it's also very true.

3) Fisher has had the priviledge of working with two great offensive coaches with contrasting styles - Ricky Bowers last season and Jeff Rutledge this season and next. Rutledge's tutelage may prove to be the most beneficiary for Michael, in that Rutledge knows what it takes to become an All-American quarterback - he was one himself at Alabama, under another great coach, Bear Bryant. With Rutledge as a mentor, Michael not only has a good blueprint to follow, but also a great head-hunter when it comes to the recruiting game after the season.

Along with those three things, I was completely impressed with Fisher's performance in the CPA scrimmage last week. In the second or third offensive series, it was first down and Fisher was on the run. With about five yards to go and a couple of CPA players ready to eat him for lunch, Fisher ducked out of bounds, avoiding the hit. What was so impressive to me was that instead of risking injury, Fisher took the five yard gain and went back to the huddle facing a 2nd and 5 situation, which is much better than having 1st and 10 while being carted off the field. Whether he did it on purpose is debatable, but the fact that was his instinct says alot about his potential.

Also, speaking with Rutledge after both the CPA scrimmage and the Riverdale scrimmage two weeks ago, he told me how impressed he was with the how quickly the kids were catching onto his new offense, especially Fisher. Save for a pair of fumbles in the CPA scrimmage, I didn't see Fisher make any mistakes - pretty impressive for a kid learning an offense for the first time.

Now if that doesn't merit a good mark from you, rollred, i might just have to retire from posting :o

Posted by scout:

rollredroll,

Do you think the Fisher kid can play Div 1?

Scout, I think Dom (good mark from me, too) touched on all of the arguments for Fisher playing at the next level. He comes from an athletic family; in addition to his father Fred, he has a brother who is a swimmer (or is it tennis player?) at Florida. I wouldn't be surprised if VU is near the top of his list given Fred's history for the Commodores, but I'm sure he would entertain offers from stronger football programs if they come calling. He probably would be in the mold of VU's current QB, former BA star Benji Walker. I think he has a good chance to play Division I, but I think even Michael would admit that he has a lot of developing to do between now and then.

Biased as I am, I think he's going to be a special player. Three years ago, when he was in 8th grade and Ingle Martin was starting to shine for the Big Red, someone at the school told me that there was a kid "waiting in the wings" in 8th grade who could be as good as or better than Ingle. The jury is still out on that opinion, but I think he has a good thing going for him.

Dom, good article (http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...s&news_id=15166) on the scrimmage today. It's nice reading the behind-the-scenes items: what Pack said to his team after the scrimmage, the CPA player from Florida talking about the game time atmosphere, etc.

[Edited by rollredroll on 8-12-02 9:06P]