MBA vs.CPA scrimmage

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted in an earlier thread that the location was to be determined. But it was confirmed by coach Pack that the scrimmage will take place at CPA Friday night at 7 p.m.

Should be an interesting match-up, if only for the intrigue of the coaching match-up. Pack, an MBA alum who turned down the Big Red job in May, going up against Rutledge, the new coach with a great background but no experience in the tennesee high school football traditions. Too bad it's not a real game...

I was able to get out to some of the MBA-CPA scrimmage tonight. Here are my observations.

First of all, this was my first time on the CPA campus (well, I have hit a few wicked draws on that Par 5 at Harpeth Hills onto what is probably the CPA campus). What a great stadium and environment. I can imagine that regular season games there can be electric. For any future visitors, be careful of deer on Old Hickory and Chickering - they cross the road in a flash, especially on the wooded Chickering.

As for the play itself, I saw the first two quarters, which were run at 15 minutes apiece. Both teams looked rusty at times, and both had a couple of drives stalled by penalties and turnovers (CPA had two TOs, MBA one, I believe). Both teams did have some flashes of brilliance. CPA's QB (#12) completed a couple of 30-40 yard passes, and MBA's Michael Fisher had a couple of nice, long strikes, too. Both QBs should have a good year. Fisher is a little more fluid and elusive (not to mention good bloodlines from Fred), but I think both performed well for so early in the season. In the backfield, MBA has a couple of good ones in Goodman (#9) and Koban (#18). For CPA, they had a back (#4) that looked like a stud - big and tough. He was also a menace on defense. That kid should play college ball some day. Defensively, both teams played pretty well. Outside of the two bombs, I thought MBA contained the pass OK and the run better, especially up the middle. CPA put some good pressure on MBA's QB at times, but had a little trouble on contain on the outside.

All in all, I was impressed with both teams this early in the preseason. Both have work to do, but both can have probably good to great seasons. I am not really familiar with I-A ball, but I have to believe CPA will be one of the best, if not the best, in Class A. MBA will have a tougher road to hoe in II-AAA, but I believe they will be better than everyone thinks they will.

As for the score, MBA led 14-0 after two quarters, when it looked like the 2s and 3s for both sides were going to get some action (although it looked like some of the second stringers has already gotten some action in the 2nd quarter). If anyone has a report for those later quarters, please fill us in. I'd also like to get some player and fan perspectives as well.

Good luck to both teams.

[Edited by rollredroll on 8-9-02 9:26P]

Posted by coacht:

rollredroll- did you write this in Word and then cut & Paste it? We're trying to figure out why those symbols show up incorrectly.

Yes, coacht - I wrote in Word. I went back and amended my post. It appears as if the dashes didn't paste over going from Word to CoachT.

One more thing about the scrimmage - Rutledge (MBA coach) apparently has a new playbook on offense.

I just returned home after 4 Quarters, the MBA 2nd String scored a TD and as far as I remember there were no scores in the 4Q when the 1st strings were back.

The #4 for CPA is Clinton Corder and the QB is Travis Sikes a Sophomore, both played well as did Eric Holt #3 the Running Back.

The MBA QB looked real good and is a great Scrambling QB when required and usually gets his target or a great individual run.

When I left it looked as if there was still some play (5th Quarter?) however the refs had left.

I always enjoy this scrimmage even though MBA is often more than we can handle with their depth that a 1A school can't match. It is however a great preparation and I hope MBA get something out of it also.

As Rollredroll points out, the season looks promising for both teams.

OnlineLC, I can assure you MBA gets a lot out of playing CPA. The talent level is one thing, but it's also good experience to match up against good coaching, and Pack brings that to the table as well.

Speaking of coaching, it was good to see Tom Moore out there. When are we going to see a BA-CPA regular season game? Those two schools are close enough where they should play.

I heard a rumor that coach pack said that cpa would have its best team ever this year. I don't know if he really said that, but there is no way the team he has now matches up to his 99 or 2000 teams. I was pretty unimpressed with both teams and I thought it looked like either team ran only a few plays over and over. CPA ran the option who knows how many times. I just wasn't impressed. :D

collarbone,

I think running plays over and over is part of the point of a scrimmage as you want to get some basics become second nature before the regular season and to make adjustments. I agree there was some rustiness on both teams. I also suspect coaches are usually not going to give their whole playbook away for scrimmages.

The 99 and 2000 CPA teams were strong, however as a point in history, the 2000 championship team got beat by MBA by several TD's in the scimmage 2 years ago (Ingle Martin era)

Posted by collarbone:

I heard a rumor that coach pack said that cpa would have its best team ever this year. I don't know if he really said that, but there is no way the team he has now matches up to his 99 or 2000 teams. I was pretty unimpressed with both teams and I thought it looked like either team ran only a few plays over and over. CPA ran the option who knows how many times. I just wasn't impressed. :x

It would really surprise me if CPA were as good this year as their state champioship team (2000). They had a great defense last year and some kids that could really block but I think they lost most of those folks to graduation. They were short of skilled players last year. Maybe they are bringing some kids from the younger grades who are ready to step up but I suspect they and USJ have a real challenge in front of them this year.