Marshall County at Cheatham County

HesterBeSeeinULater

The first half of the season is in the books and one would have to say that Marshall Co. is without question the biggest suprise in Class 3A. Despite the graduation losses of Jaron Jones, Cavalla O'Neal-Summers, Deshawn Greer, Trevor Walker, & of course Don'ta Hightower the Tigers are ranked in the Top 5 in the state in Class 3A. Marshall Co. won very difficult contests against Hickman Co., Creek Wood, Columbia Central, and Page to start this season. Last night they crushed Northwest.

Cheatham Co. returns home to play their second to final game at Mike Jarreau Field in this one. They are 2-3 on the season. They beat Gordonsville and Sycamore. The losses came to David Lipscomb, Giles Co., and last night they fell to Greenbrier. The Cubs will see their third "Top 5" opponent at home in this one (first two were DL & GC).

This game will be broadcast live on WQSV AM790 and can be heard by going to the Cheatham County Cubs Football Fan Page. Pregame will start at 7:10PM and kickoff will follow at 7:30PM. You can go to the site, http://www.cheathamcubsfanpage.com/fb, and listen to the game by clicking on the link titled 'Cubs Friday Night'. I hope this is useful for any fans of the Tigers that will not be able to make the long trip north from Lewisburg.

UPDATES FOR THE MARSHALL COUNTY GAME WILL COME THROUGHOUT THE UPCOMING WEEK /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheatham Co. has not put it all together on 1 GAME yet this season. Against Giles Co. & David Lipscomb the turnovers killed them. Against Greenbrier there were several blown assignments and a lot of "players feeling sorry for themselves" types of attitudes. Against Sycamore a couple of INT and a blocked punt that went the other way for a late TD almost proved to be costly. Even against Gordonsville the first half was very lackluster.

Coach Finley will demand that his players step up and put it all together from here on in. The rest of the schedule is REGION 5-3A BATTLES and this is where a team usually proves to be playoff worthy if they truly want it bad enough. The Cubs have 13 seniors who are running out of games to play. This will likely be their second to last game ever at Mike Jarreau Field and I expect them all to step up and perform. This means Garrett Potts, Justin Batts, Ryan Phillips, Joe Rinehart, Zack Bush, Cody Anderson, Brian Mayo, etc.

Marshall Co. has been a team able to put it together this season. They have an outstanding team. Jake Morris is a fabulous player at QB. Justin Braden is the best overall player (not named Zack Rogers) in Region 5-3A. Morris has good receivers. Tears, Tadajewski, & Peterson are all playmakers. Michael Murphy is a force up front.

Coach Don Thomas has brought that "winning edge" back to Lewisburg. That was not there when Johnson was the head coach. Something tells me that his teams would not have came out on top in the games against Hickman Co., Columbia, Page, and Creek Wood. Coach Thomas demands those guys to be disciplined and they respond by playing hard and smart football. What he's done at Marshall (and what O'Connor has done at Giles) are very good things for those kids. The Tigers believe they are going to win every single time they step onto the field.

Cheatham Co. has lost to David Lipscomb & Giles Co. in region play and are hoping this game can propel them to a second half playoff push. Marshall Co. has beaten Page & Creek Wood and are hoping to continue the success and make those final two weeks "Championship Games". This one will be very interesting.

Good luck to Cheatham County!

BIG GAME

HUGE GAME......Cheatham needs this win,otherwise they look at having to win out the rest of the season just to have a shot at making the playoffs.With Lipscomb,Marshall and Giles not likely to lose more than three,maybe four region games between them, that leaves little room for error.A Cubs win will tighten the feild with MC at 2-1 and CC at1-2

A Page win over Creekwood would even the feild at 1-2 and give the Cubs a little breathing room.

Spring Hill could play the spoiler roll for someone!

HUGE GAME......Cheatham needs this win,otherwise they look at having to win out the rest of the season just to have a shot at making the playoffs.With Lipscomb,Marshall and Giles not likely to lose more than three,maybe four region games between them, that leaves little room for error.A Cubs win will tighten the feild with MC at 2-1 and CC at1-2

A Page win over Creekwood would even the feild at 1-2 and give the Cubs a little breathing room.

Spring Hill could play the spoiler roll for someone!

The Creek Wood vs Page game this week is going to be HUGE for both of those teams playoff hopes. The winner will control their own destiny and the loser is going to have to pull and upset and get some help along the way.

If Creek Wood wins then:

Creek Wood would be 2-1 in the region & Page would be 0-3 in the region

If Page wins then:

Both Creek Wood and Page would be 1-2 in the region

After David Lipscomb beats Spring Hill this week:

Spring Hill will be 1-2 in the region

Outside of Montgomery Central that race for the playoffs is about to really heat up for teams such as Cheatham Co., Creek Wood, Page, & Spring Hill.

At this point in time one would have to assume that David Lipscomb, Marshall Co., & Giles Co. are sitting very comfortable as far as "playoff hopes" are considered. David Lipscomb has beaten Page & Cheatham Co. Marshall Co. has beaten Creek Wood & Page. Giles Co. has beaten Cheatham Co. & Spring Hill. The trio of David Lipscomb, Giles Co., and Marshall Co. do not play their games against one another until weeks 8, 9, & 10.

I guess the Marshall Co. Tigers faithful and spending their time keeping up with Dont'a Hightower's progress at Alabama. He is playing GREAT thus far this season.

I think it is surprising to a lot of people around here that he was able to go in a play as a freshmen. Everyone knew he was a physical BEAST but he didn't always play that way in high school.

I think it is surprising to a lot of people around here that he was able to go in a play as a freshmen. Everyone knew he was a physical BEAST but he didn't always play that way in high school.

I agree I thought for sure he was a D1A bust. I saw him three years ago when he was a junior look like a pudding pop on multiple occasions, but I think that Coach Thomas was the medicine he needed last year. I thought he was about four times the player last year than in the previous years I had seen him and from what I hear he has turned into a physical specimen and Alabama. I played four years at the D1AA level and started in 36 straight games and two years ago if you would have told me that Hightower was going to be a freshman all american in the SEC I would have took some of that bet and then asked how much. Needless to say im eating my words, but good for him!

This contest's version of 'Marcus Rich's Weekly Game Notes' are now uploaded onto the Cheatham County Cubs Football Fan Page. You can view them by clicking on the link titled 'Cubs Friday Night' under the Main Menu.

Hope everyone has a safe trip up the interstate from Lewisburg on Friday evening. If you aren't able to make it you can listen to the game on WQSV by clicking on the link titled 'Cubs Radio Network" on the fan page. Pregame will go on the air at 7:10PM and kickoff is slated for 7:30PM.

NOTE: There will be a "Chili Supper" at the CCCHS parking lot on Friday evening and it is schedule to begin at 5:00PM. I know that will certainly be sounding nice on Friday when the weather drops into the mid-50's. Autumn has officially arrived and I LOVE IT!!!!