Hickman Co. Coaches

DAWGSPIRIT

This is my first entry on Caoch T and I couldn't help but comment back on some of the negative comments about Hickman Co. High School Football coaches. There seems to be an awful lot of "Coaches" out there who have no clue as to what they are barking about. Being a Coach myself, I learned a long time ago that unless you are right in the middle of the team with the Coaches, you have no right to speculate or criticize with decisions the Coaches have made. Everyone always seems to think "they" can do it better, when in fact "they" wouldn't appreciate the negative criticism that they themselves are giving. We, as Coaches can't please everyone and that's not our job to please everyone. That job is do the best we can with what we have and Coach Patterson and his assistants are proving they are doing an excellent job. He's filled last years shoes with class bringing alot of positive thoughts and ideas.

As far as comments on Coach Smithson, thank God for him!! He DOES NOT own the fields nor does he think so. He's a man who has worked his tail off making sure our fields look there very best and takes alot of pride in that. If it weren't for men like him who truely care about there work, I hate to think of what it may look like. Coach Smithson & Coach Patterson don't deserve criticism for being dedicated in their efforts. And don't think for one minute they are walking around with this criticism on their shoulders. They are much bigger men who have more important things to take care of.

You Bulldog fans need just be "fans in the stands" unless you want to lend a supportive hand.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my first entry on Caoch T and I couldn't help but comment back on some of the negative comments about Hickman Co. High School Football coaches. There seems to be an awful lot of "Coaches" out there who have no clue as to what they are barking about. Being a Coach myself, I learned a long time ago that unless you are right in the middle of the team with the Coaches, you have no right to speculate or criticize with decisions the Coaches have made. Everyone always seems to think "they" can do it better, when in fact "they" wouldn't appreciate the negative criticism that they themselves are giving. We, as Coaches can't please everyone and that's not our job to please everyone. That job is do the best we can with what we have and Coach Patterson and his assistants are proving they are doing an excellent job. He's filled last years shoes with class bringing alot of positive thoughts and ideas.

As far as comments on Coach Smithson, thank God for him!! He DOES NOT own the fields nor does he think so. He's a man who has worked his tail off making sure our fields look there very best and takes alot of pride in that. If it weren't for men like him who truely care about there work, I to think of what it may look like. Coach Smithson & Coach Patterson don't deserve criticism for being dedicated in their efforts. And don't think for one minute they are walking around with this criticism on their shoulders. They are much bigger men who have more important things to take care of.

You Bulldog fans need just be "fans in the stands" unless you want to lend a supportive hand.

It comes with the territory when your program is tasting a little success that it hasn't had, historically (recent history, anyway). Not sure what people are saying. Haven't been on the board in a while. People forget that high school coaches aren't, for the most part, highly compensated professionals. Also, if they were football geniuses, they wouldn't be coaching high school. Not a jab at you, coach. Just trying to give the folks a different perspective. Also, people forget that high school kids change a great deal from one school year to the next. A kid might be ahead of the curve his junior year, but can't even find the chart when he's a senior.

I am not from your area...but have been reading some of the post on here...not only this one but there is another one complaining. I haven't been able to grasp what it is truely about. I notice that Hickman has lost one game to Marshall who is 5 and 0 by one point. Otherwise Hickman has run the table. Is it because they haven't won 50 -0 every game? What exactly is it........I mean the problem. Isn't Marshall a class above Hickman...3 A? Its just hard for an outsider to understand the complaining about the coaches/team when they are sitting 3-1. I would think that the positive is would everyone would be concentrating on, not one lost or winning by smaller margins that some would want. I understand that they have a new coach (s) from last year. But looking over last year they lost one in the season to Lewis. I just don't get it. Could someone help someone from the outside understand the problem. I read post all over...some schools and fans/players are excited at .500 season. Hickman.....some anyway don't seem happy with 3-1. Help me understand the problem so I can follow the post a little better.

I am not from your area...but have been reading some of the post on here...not only this one but there is another one complaining. I haven't been able to grasp what it is truely about. I notice that Hickman has lost one game to Marshall who is 5 and 0 by one point. Otherwise Hickman has run the table. Is it because they haven't won 50 -0 every game? What exactly is it........I mean the problem. Isn't Marshall a class above Hickman...3 A? Its just hard for an outsider to understand the complaining about the coaches/team when they are sitting 3-1. I would think that the positive is would everyone would be concentrating on, not one lost or winning by smaller margins that some would want. I understand that they have a new coach (s) from last year. But looking over last year they lost one in the season to Lewis. I just don't get it. Could someone help someone from the outside understand the problem. I read post all over...some schools and fans/players are excited at .500 season. Hickman.....some anyway don't seem happy with 3-1. Help me understand the problem so I can follow the post a little better.

We are now 4-1 winning over Lawrence Co. 24-14 in which it was stated last week we were going to get creamed. I think for the most part there are some people that don't have anything better to do than to complain. With some people, I don't care how well you do it, they think they can do it better. And 926 was correct about us Coaches not being highly compensated. If we didn't love the sport & the kids, we wouldn't do it. Cause it's not for the money!

We are now 4-1 winning over Lawrence Co. 24-14 in which it was stated last week we were going to get creamed. I think for the most part there are some people that don't have anything better to do than to complain. With some people, I don't care how well you do it, they think they can do it better. And 926 was correct about us Coaches not being highly compensated. If we didn't love the sport & the kids, we wouldn't do it. Cause it's not for the money!

Agreed. You don't coach sports, especially in Hickman County, to get rich. And our facilities at HCHS are top notch because of Coach Smithson and his years of hard work. He does a good job of running the athletic program and supporting the coaches. Fans should also appreciate the fact that their team will always be playing on a great playing surface on game day each week. The same can not be said at every high school we play against. Take a look around at some opposing athletic facilities throughout the year, be it football, baseball, softball, basketball. A "Thank You" would be more appropriate instead of criticism. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Agreed. You don't coach sports, especially in Hickman County, to get rich. And our facilities at HCHS are top notch because of Coach Smithson and his years of hard work. He does a good job of running the athletic program and supporting the coaches. Fans should also appreciate the fact that their team will always be playing on a great playing surface on game day each week. The same can not be said at every high school we play against. Take a look around at some opposing athletic facilities throughout the year, be it football, baseball, softball, basketball. A "Thank You" would be more appropriate instead of criticism. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I don't think "THANK YOU" is in some peoples vocabulary.

It has been a long time, actually never. Has the bulldogs had a team this good. But as much as people will deny it, this is the last year of success like this. They can keep working hard and good things will happen, but sorry to say ,after this year, this era is over. You see it all over the US. every 25 years or so go by and out of the shuffle there is a majical group, This is the story here. I hear all the stories from the dads in the stands talking about how good thier team was and that is all good, but reality is Hickman County has never seen a team as this, and take it from me, they really can go all the way this year . They have the tools to do it. they are adjusting to the changes that took place ,they looked a little shaky at first but the ship is back on course, and things are working out. All people are wanting is to relish this as long as it can last, but in the backs of thier minds they know its over. That is where the frustration is. coach Smithson is a nice guy, his dedication is unmatched,but I have seen other sides of him and the public opinion is about split. Good and bad can be pointed out. For the parent to get mad.....well there are 2 side to every coin, I understand both views.Just support coach Patterson and stand behind him, the sea will get rough again but he is good captain of the ship. think back 5,6,7 years ago when the football program was horrid. we dont need to run this coach off.

Take it from a former player of Coach Patterson. He is a molder of young men. there is no man i would rather play for. from his knowledge of the great game of football to his unbeatable competitiveness to his fatherly-like persona, coach pat is the right guy for the job. saying thank you is the right responce. the community of hickman should consider themselves lucky to have such a coach.

Thanks Coach.

As far as comments on Coach Smithson, thank God for him!! He DOES NOT own the fields nor does he think so. He's a man who has worked his tail off making sure our fields look there very best and takes alot of pride in that. If it weren't for men like him who truely care about there work, I hate to think of what it may look like. Coach Smithson & Coach Patterson don't deserve criticism for being dedicated in their efforts. And don't think for one minute they are walking around with this criticism on their shoulders. They are much bigger men who have more important things to take care of.

YOU ARE THE MAN!! COULD WE GET YOU TO RUN FOR MAYOR?? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

The problem is we have a lot of spoiled ignorant people who have no clue about much of anything, never mind you football....you are dead on....who in the world complains about a 4-1 team? hey, you want to move here?

great words! Mike Smithson is a blessing to every Hickman Co sport....whatever he is getting paid is not enough!

I'm sad to say but I agree with some of what straightupthegut is saying..

UNLESS...

From what I hear the High School and Middle School are working together....this is huge..get a system that these kids will know inside and out by the time they are in high school.

If the kids, families and coaches keep the fire that they have right now for years...Enthusiasm, heart and determination will go a long way.

I think that some fans are afraid of going back to the old ways of Hickman County....but every one goes through rebuliding years.

People want to talk about Maryville and Alcoa how they never do...know way? For starters there are very few private schools in that area. So all the talent goes to public schools. Secondly they have had winning seasons and championships so long, families MOVE there so their child can play there in hopes of getting a scholarship to a division I school.