Clarksville Academy - Lighthouse Christian

Guest 481

Guest UtahPass

"We don't give scholarships. So, we don't belong in Division II. "

I appreciate your comments about CPA. It is a quality program, Pack is a quality coach who graduated from a quality (Sewanee) school.

The comment I have concerns your reference to CPA not "belonging " in DII because they give no scholarships.

No schools in DII give scholarships. That perception--- that so many people have--- really gives DII a bad rap. All schools in DII may give financial aid. All DII financial aid is need-ba sed and meets the standards of the Princeton service that determines college financial aid as well. If a school gives more than Princeton says it can give (Princeton looks at the previous year tax return plus extensive family financial records), the n that student is ineligible for varsity athletics.

"Merit" scholarships, (which are incentive grants for students to come to a school, just like a football scholarship in the NCAA) can be given by any DII school, but these student recipients are not all owed to play varsity athletics if their grant exceeds what Princeton says the family is eligible for. DII schools can not give football, basketball or bowling "scholarships!"

So, CPA could well "belong" in DII, just like Lighthouse and Mt Juliet Christia n Academy could, because they share lots of the same values that other DII schools share.a

[Edited by UtahPass on 8-13-02 5:17P]

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't give financial aide either or scholarships Utah, thats why they are on D1. You guys think just because you are an athlete then you get priority over others...NOPE, NADA, NOT A CHANCE. I know of two very good baptist schools in the memphis area (that are private) that ask parents to be interviewed and questioned as to why they would like their kid sent to that school. Now that doesn't seem to me to be a school that is just busting out the walls to get kids to go there. The kids must take entrance exams, and sometimes even take summer school courses in order to enroll. It's not like the private school faculty is just going to let an ex con stroll through the doors so he will play football. The teachers, the principals, the coaches, and even the students are supposed to walk by a Christian example...and with exception to a very select few private schools (whose names will remain annonymous) THEY DO!

"My problem with 1A is the severe disparity in the teams in this class. You have schools like CPA with huge football budgets playing small rural schools with limited financial resources and boundaries associated with the school district that prevent an outside the boundary selection process. To this you add parental contributions which are so prevelent in private school programs but not in public school programs."

When did that become the 1A privates fault that they are getting money from donors? HAHAHA Oh man Memphis doesnt stand a chance against UT cus they get all that money from donations...and we only get 4 million! SORRY DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT.

Should I be mad that MUS is probably the best high school in the Memphis area? Even better then my former private school? That's not fair that they have a 9 lane track, a gorgeous gym arena, and really awesome equipment/ weight rooms.

That is no ones fault but the public school parents who choose not to do that. Some of the other people have brought this excuse to the surface before...there is no one to blame, but those that choose not to give money.

I even have gotten the response that if coaches ask for money, they will be fired, which may be true in some small cases, but I do not see how fundraising ON THE WHOLE like a bake sale, car wash, lift a thon, walk a thon hurts anyone!

Oh Bighurt!!!....You just put the BIGHURT on so many people who want to whine about how private schools recruit athletes. I`m am absolutely laughing my rear end off. I get so tired of all these people who constantly whine about this public/private thing. Thank you so much for bringing some FACTS into this debate. Maybe some of these people will begin to "see the light". Nahhhhh...that was just wishful thinking on my part. Anyways...there is nothing wrong with the system as it is now with the exception of the "whiners".

It is my honor to give you your first "good mark". I would give you more, but it wouldn`t be prudent. Thanks for your insight and actual facts on that matter. Nice job!!

I won't side with 481. I think he is speaking from emotion, not reason. However, I would like to respond to your points.

1) Transfers. Okay, you only have one. but he apparently came to the school to play ball. Do you know how many of the public schools would like to add just one outstanding athlete? How about all of them. But they can't. For them it would be illegal. Having "room" is not a factor.

2) Wait List Priority. NO ONE has gotten a spot over another for athletic ability? I think that is a little naive. Can you really think that between 2 equally qualified students, one a potential star athlete and one not, the athlete wouldn't get the nod? I think you mean that no one is chosen PURELY for athletics.

3) Facilities. I think I have seen every private school facility except yours, but I assume it falls in line with the rest. I have read Ezell people calling their facility a "dump". Next to most of the publics' it is a Taj Mahal. Is there something wrong with you having a nice facility? Of course not, but it stands as an excellent symbol of the differences between public & private.

4) Coaching Staff. I think Pack staying says a lot for both him and your school. I am very impressed.

5) Athletes. My daughter's private school only had a few hundred students. But they were gleaned from thousands of kids. You didn't just get the first 270 kids to drive past the school, you have 270 select kids.

6) The 90's. The 90's are over. There may be a strong desire to use the dominance of a few teams in that decade as a comparison to the current situation, but the two decades are not comparable. Trousdale & S Pitt had to endure unfair criticism. Every champion does. That is just a part of human nature. But they also did not send rafts of kids on to D-1 college programs. Mature, honest people had to admit that those programs were just doing a better job. The recent dominance of the privates in single A can be directly related to superior personnel. That is not my opinion, it seems to be the opinion of those who locate prospects for D-1 college programs.

7) What else can you say? I don't think you need to say anything. You certainly shouldn't feel like you should apologize for having a great school with outstanding athletic programs. But are you playing where you belong?

I couldn't have said it better myself, and obviously I didn't. Perhaps I should hire you as my agent.

My gripe with 1A is the huge disparity that exists. Period. This disparity extends well beyond a private public discussion. Even within the ranks of private schools, there is a huge disparity in the team quality and school emphasis. As we all know, at this level, having 5 or 6 good athletes is fantastic. Then you add an extensive weight room and professional training services, coupled with a top flight coaching staff, and the advantages are obvious.

From what I remember, Brentwood Academy has a per class enrollment not that much greater then these 1A schools and look what they accomplished.

I just believe in developing a level playing field and allowing the young men to decide the winners and losers. But because of greed football has lost track of that goal. It is now more important to have a gold ball to sit in a glass case.

Several times now I have seen postings saying "we wish we didn't have to play schools like Lighthouse or Clarksville Academy". You don't have to play them, if you have the resources, move up in classification, no one will stop that.

Finally, from earlier postings, please don't question my religious beliefs. I was raised in a parochial school environment and believe in living my religion.

I think lazarus does raise one other valid differential on the matter of transfers. Most geographic transfers probably move to the larger cities so any athletic students involved in that process will either find themselves at a large 4A or 5A public school or at a small 1A Private. Most small rural 1A programs are less likely to get an influx of outside talent.

Posted by VolunteerGeneral:

Lazarus....I read your post in response to bighurt and #4 was the only one you hit the nail on the head.

Posted by OnlineLC:

I think lazarus does raise one other valid differential on the matter of transfers. Most geographic transfers probably move to the larger cities so any athletic students involved in that process will either find themselves at a large 4A or 5A public school or at a small 1A Private. Most small rural 1A programs are less likely to get an influx of outside talent.

Online...he was partially right. Here is what he said...

"1) Transfers. Okay, you only have one. but he apparently came to the school to play ball. Do you know how many of the public schools would like to add just one outstanding athlete? How about all of them. But they can't. For them it would be illegal. Having "room" is not a factor."

First of all Bighurt said that he came there because of his buddies from ballplaying. That`s the exact reason my kid is in public school and not a private one. Second...he makes the ill-fated and often used assumption that the kid was an outstanding athlete. Bighurt never said that he was an outstanding athlete. He may be, but just because he transfers to a private school, doesn`t necessarilly make him a great athlete. Third...There is nothing illegal whatsoever for an athlete to transfer to a small public school as Lazarus says. It may not happen too often, but it definitely is not illegal.