Best D in 4-5a

hitstick

im just wonderin who yall think has the best D in the region. i think it could possibly be blackman because their offense ALWAYS seems to put them in a bad position and they fight their way out somehow. all i can say is that this team has a defense that plays HARD from whistle to whistle every play no matter what the score is. but im just wondering what yall think?

im just wonderin who yall think has the best D in the region. i think it could possibly be blackman because their offense ALWAYS seems to put them in a bad position and they fight their way out somehow. all i can say is that this team has a defense that plays HARD from whistle to whistle every play no matter what the score is. but im just wondering what yall think?

Im sorry, but this discussion belongs bewteen Oakland and Smyrna, and Oakland has the slightest of edges.

Im sorry, but this discussion belongs bewteen Oakland and Smyrna, and Oakland has the slightest of edges.

Yep, Blackman's defense belongs in this discussion. It's just hard to believe when you just see the scores each week. They are stout though. The '07 Oakland defense was a carbon copy. Turnovers, penalties, multiple three and outs, etc. just killed the D game in and game out. Only been a year guys, don't forget....

Can't do it, but it's fun to imagine, put Siegel, WC, and maybe even Oakland's '08 offense with this defense, Blackman's, and you have a legitimate state contender.

This is in no way belittling Oakland or Smyrna's defense. They are both very, very good. Oakland has a little more offense to put with the great D, and Smyrna has a little less offense, but their kicking game, on most nights kinda helps both their offensive production and certainly keeps their defense in much better field position.

Yep, Blackman's defense belongs in this discussion. It's just hard to believe when you just see the scores each week. They are stout though. The '07 Oakland defense was a carbon copy. Turnovers, penalties, multiple three and outs, etc. just killed the D game in and game out. Only been a year guys, don't forget....

Can't do it, but it's fun to imagine, put Siegel, WC, and maybe even Oakland's '08 offense with this defense, Blackman's, and you have a legitimate state contender.

This is in no way belittling Oakland or Smyrna's defense. They are both very, very good. Oakland has a little more offense to put with the great D, and Smyrna has a little less offense, but their kicking game, on most nights kinda helps both their offensive production and certainly keeps their defense in much better field position.

Dont kid yourself, Oakland's offense isnt too improved from last year and there have been games this year where the defense had to bow up and win the game on their own. The only way you can have a dicussion like this is comparing the number, which is where Smyrna and Oakland hold a sizable advantage

Dont kid yourself, Oakland's offense isnt too improved from last year and there have been games this year where the defense had to bow up and win the game on their own. The only way you can have a dicussion like this is comparing the number, which is where Smyrna and Oakland hold a sizable advantage

Can't say much else. Blackman's Win/Loss just doesn't give me a leg to stand on. However, trust me, Blackman's D is in this discussion.

I think sometimes this region is so similar to the SEC, it's scary. Auburn, maybe Tennessee, even Miss. State, all have very strong defenses, but their offensive production has been so porous, it makes most think their defenses may be weak.

Speaking of offenses, has this spread craze been found out. Probably a whole nother thread, but I just keep seeing these so called spread offenses get shut down or incapable of scoring over 10 or 12 points in a game, if that in some cases. I see it on the high school level and I see it on the college level. Just a thought.

I agree with you amazedbutwhy. Blackman is just like Oakland from yrs past....we had the stout D that gave them multiple gifts and an offense who sputtered and put them in really bad situations with their backs up against the wall. If you checked the actual stats from the game, you would see that our D last yr and the yr before scored several of the TD's in the game NOT our offense. Brandon Messick ( before he got hurt) was leading the region in INT's. That says a lot about our D last yr. It was VERY frustrating to not be able to trust your offense to score even when you gave the ball to them in the red zone. Blackman has to feel the same way we did last yr. Our O couldn't seem to hang onto the ball long enough for the D to even make it to the sidelines to reach for the water bottle. That kind of stuff HURTS your team and it really makes the fans shake their heads. Anyone that has even the most basic knowledge of football can see that Blackman's D has kept them in the game and kept them from being totally embarrassed. Nothing made me madder than to see the opposition score on our OFFENSE b/c of a fumble that was run back for a quick 6 or an INT and no one made the tackle. I am sure the same has happened with BHS and even Smyrna this yr.

It is a relief to get a little bit of offense this year to give our kids a rest. PLUS, we have more depth and that helps too. I really think our D has been battle-tested the last two yrs and they are the most experienced bunch in the region and it shows. I have to go with OHS as the best overall D. We have proven ourselves in tight games to get the job done and seal the victory. Having that confidence that the O can actually score this year is a major boost to us.

I am going to have to mention WC in this discussion too. They have a solid D....very quick and very aggressive. They are well-prepared as well. GOOOOO Rottero! We really have some outstanding LB's in this region! My favorite is Sam Bass, of course, but you can't leave out the LB's from BHS and Smyrna ! They are very physical and smart. I think we have the best D line, but I thought that last yr too. Amey is simply a dang specimen and Murray is probably the most under-rated d linemen in the area.

i'm 50/ 50 in terms of blackman being in this discussion as the best D in region 4-5A...yes...they have a good Defense...yes they have been put in some incredible tough positions...yes they have performed well under duress and in terrible circumstances...yes...they will hit you and come after you...yes...other coaches have commented about blackman's D in positive terms...except for the raping by riverdale (not the score but the plays that were called back...but it was a raping anyway) which i think had alot to do with not only riverdale's execution...but also the offense that they run (wing-T) that blackman was not prepared to defend...blackman's D has been tough...and i think could have been tougher...we lost both starting Defensive ends (6'5" 250lb and 6' 250lbs) at the beggining of the season and we lost a projected starting linebacker for 4 our of our 7 games...

but because of our zero production out of our offense...statistically we are not in the running for the best D award...and that is how you rank Defenses...how many points per game...yards per game...etc...

and of the defenses i have seen so far...WC certainly was fast, great scheme and solid execution

the patriots seem to have the best D from what i'v heard...and the stars and WC are not far behind...blackman had a chance at the beginning of the year to have the best D...9 returning starters off a very good defense from last year...a very good secondary...excellent linebackers...size...experience...but a lack of offense and losing 3 key and very talented players have taken blackman out of the discussion in my limited opinion

seems like a country song should be written about the blackman D... ole what could have been!!!