Science Hill Vs. Campbell County

JcToPpEr103803

How much better position wise is the Toppers o-line than last year?

Top to bottom it is an entirely new unit. All 5 of last year's starting linemen graduated, but the guys we've got upfront this year are much more solid than last season's group. We've got two OL who will also play defense, and the other 3 got their experience playing JV last season. What looked to be a disaster at the beginning of the season has actually turned into some solid line play, much improved from last year.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much better position wise is the Toppers o-line than last year?

At center Seth Williams has worked very hard on making accurate snaps and so far this year there have been few bad snaps and last year it seemed that there was a lack of confidence in that area.

At the guards Will Rentel and Will Lindsey are a little more aggressive than last years guards.

All three are seniors.

Tackles are Juniors Joel Shrum and Andrew Chaudron who have filled in well. Andrew is built a little more like a guard height-wise but is close to 300lbs but is doing OK at the right tackle position and is gaining much needed experience. Joel looks more like a tackle (6'2 or so and 290) and has brought a little more physical game to the position than last years line. He also will benefit both himself and the team from the experience gained this year.

Physically the line is bigger than last years line and so far has not been forced to go with out a starter due to injury. That is sometimes overlooked as last year there were a few of the starters that lost time due to injury.

This years line seems to have worked hard in the off season and have been determined to be more physical in all games. (as far as I can remember this year we have not had our running back tackled before he could take the hand off which did happen a few times last year)

There are also some good size coming up through the JV and freshman ranks that could make the line a solid part of the Topper program for years to come.

Coach Miller has done a good job with the line and this is just his second year at SH so I can see the OL getting better with each passing year.

In fairness to last years OL they had injuries and had to learn a new system as seniors after they had spent all their high school playing careers under Coach Bowles.

At center Seth Williams has worked very hard on making accurate snaps and so far this year there have been few bad snaps and last year it seemed that there was a lack of confidence in that area.

At the guards Will Rentel and Will Lindsey are a little more aggressive than last years guards.

All three are seniors.

Tackles are Juniors Joel Shrum and Andrew Chaudron who have filled in well. Andrew is built a little more like a guard height-wise but is close to 300lbs but is doing OK at the right tackle position and is gaining much needed experience. Joel looks more like a tackle (6'2 or so and 290) and has brought a little more physical game to the position than last years line. He also will benefit both himself and the team from the experience gained this year.

Physically the line is bigger than last years line and so far has not been forced to go with out a starter due to injury. That is sometimes overlooked as last year there were a few of the starters that lost time due to injury.

This years line seems to have worked hard in the off season and have been determined to be more physical in all games. (as far as I can remember this year we have not had our running back tackled before he could take the hand off which did happen a few times last year)

There are also some good size coming up through the JV and freshman ranks that could make the line a solid part of the Topper program for years to come.

Coach Miller has done a good job with the line and this is just his second year at SH so I can see the OL getting better with each passing year.

In fairness to last years OL they had injuries and had to learn a new system as seniors after they had spent all their high school playing careers under Coach Bowles.

Thanks for the indepth description. I knew all 5 of these guys were on the line this year and that Rentel and Williams also look to have an impact on defense, but your description was much better than mine. I'm proud of Lindsey stepping up, Joel had the benefit of an older brother who played on the line, and he has also learned well. I went to church with Andrew Chaudron who was a sophomore JV lineman who dressed varsity my senior year before I left for college. You won't find a harder working lineman. He's not the best out there, but he generally does a good job and will get better in the offseason. This is a junior dominated team, and even though Isaac, Larry, and a host of seniors will be gone, when they get Gray, Wes, and Corey back next season, the sky is the limit. Coach Smith had his rocky 1st season, but he has shown tremendous improvement as their record states. They look to double last season's win total with a W tonight.

What was the problem with the center last year?

Last year's center had a timing and location issue with the different snap counts that Coach Smith used.

Good game Toppers! Way to come out and defend the homefield! I left when the Toppers had recovered another fumble and were ahead 26-7 with 2 minutes to go. Good job to the offensive line! You guys had your way out there. Armando, Ryan, and Moses all had standout efforts at tailback tonight. Isaac! Way to put the offense on your shoulders with the absence of Gray, Wes, and Corey. Isaac had a huge game running the ball. He had 2 or 3 rushing touchdowns. R.J., Jordan, Seth, Will, Jeff, Bo, Josh, Caleb, Zach and the rest of the D, great game, that's exactly what we needed! I like that Coach Smith found a place on the field for Pritchard, as he was returning kicks. Kicking game could use work because our holder is injured. Timing wasn't right with Isaac and Brandon, and in a close game, that can be the difference between a win and a loss. Other than that, the guys put together a collective effort for 4 quarters, and that is much appreciated. Campbell County, you guys fought very hard, your QB is very good at running the option. Great efforts from your line! You guys are a classy group that never quits. Good luck to Campbell County on the rest of their season.

Picks: 6-2 (3-1)