Science Hill Vs. Campbell County

JcToPpEr103803

After a confusing win at Jefferson County, thanks to some odd calls by the refs, what's to expect when the Toppers come home to host the Campbell County Cougars? SH suffered another crippling blow as junior WR/DB/KR-PR Corey Macpherson went down with an ACL injury. Last season, everybody was healthy and we were losing, now everybody is hurt and we are winning. 3 starters- 3 knee injuries: Grayson Janeway #6, Wes Forbush #7, and Corey who is #8. #18 Seth Franklin, a junior with no game experience, got it together quick last night and stepped up in Corey's absence at wide out. Also, Corey's replacement on defense, #3 R.J. Jackson, ran a pick back 100 yds before halftime to put SH up 18-0 but the refs somehow figured out how to take the points off of the board. Is there anybody around who can fill me in on what Campbell County is doing this year? Living in the Johnson City area, Jacksboro is a pretty good drive so I haven't seen CC play yet. Who should we look for to make plays for CC when they come up to Johnson City?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be a very good game and a big determinate to where the Toppers line up in the playoffs.

It could also determine how SH actually plays in the playoffs. It seems like this is a Campbell County team on a similar tear to the of the Vanderbilt Commodores. We've got traditionally bad teams playing well this year, and SH had better come to play. After putting beatings on CC their sophomore and junior years, last years seniors expected to win as soon as they got to Jacksboro. They lost the game, their pride, a QB quit the team, and the meltdown was solidified. I'd like to see a better offensive output this week. We're suffering from injuries in our wideout corps, but we've got the personnel to switch to our productive ground game and roll out on play action. JC's fullback got whatever he wanted against our defense, so we could be considered suspect against the run. Inconsistencies in tackling have killed us this year. On a good note, we've got some backups who can play and make up for the injuries. Junior #18 Seth Franklin is not physically ready, and would be playing JV if not pressed into duty by Corey Macpherson's absence, but Seth matured alot last night. He played almost 3 full quarters at wideout. He wasn't thrown to, but he was sticking his blocks well and running very clean routes. R.J. Jackson, #3 a senior, transferred and played JV last year. The coaches knew they had something when he had 4 picks in his first JV game. Well, pressed into duty at corner last night, he picked one off and ran it back 100 for a TD that the refs somehow managed to call back. What does Campbell County have this season? I remember last year's CC team as an underated, athletic unit that stole a W out from under SH before Johnson City even knew what happened.

Regardless of how Jeff ends up, Brooks, their fulback is probably the best fulback in East Tennessee. He has personally made several D's look bad. The big advantage that Science Hill has over last year is their offensive line. And that is where most FB games begin and end. CC is well Coached by Dwuane Wells. Go back several years and CC was playing with quite a few people. And they will always hit. Pulling for the Toppers but this is definately a toss up. Turnovers or the lack of them will determine this weeks winner.

Regardless of how Jeff ends up, Brooks, their fulback is probably the best fulback in East Tennessee. He has personally made several D's look bad. The big advantage that Science Hill has over last year is their offensive line. And that is where most FB games begin and end. CC is well Coached by Dwuane Wells. Go back several years and CC was playing with quite a few people. And they will always hit. Pulling for the Toppers but this is definately a toss up. Turnovers or the lack of them will determine this weeks winner.

The O-Line has definitely stepped up this season. All 5 starters graduated last season, and 3 of our starting O-Line never had varsity experience before this season. The other 2 play both ways and have to be in some serious shape to work in the trenches that long. Turnovers have improved greatly this season, but Coach Smith reverted back to last season when he made a couple horrible 4th down calls in the JC game. Our kicker missed a FG coach? So what? That's the 1st one he's missed in 2 years as a starter, you've got to give him a couple more chances when you're in a position to put some points on the board. Add 3 potential FGs and the INT TD that got called back (That was some track star running from R.J. going 100 like that!) and SH walks out of JC with a 28-0 win instead of a lackluster 12-0 victory. Losing 3 of our top skill players for the season has forced us to run the ball more instead of opening it up with the passing game. Running is less of a turnover risk than passing, and that has showed this season. The guys run the ball, get some yards, and if it's not there punt it away and play some defense. That is working well this season for the Toppers, as their defense has been playing very well. The JC shutout will only give them confidence. Is there anyone for CC who is simply a match-up problem ala Devrin Young, Chris Sensabaugh, Patrick Miller, Christian McFall type of guy who carries the team? We look to #5 Isaac Kinley to lead our O, D, and special teams and he is our standout guy until proven otherwise. Our whole team runs through #5 and he's been getting the job done as of late.

Great game by the defense last week!! Let's hope the Topper O can get it together before next Friday. Lots of players have stepped up and done a great job. Moses and RJ should definitely get more playing time based on their efforts last week. ss needs to remember there are 11 players on the field at all times......Not 1 or 2!! #12 should also be on the field more.

Great game by the defense last week!! Let's hope the Topper O can get it together before next Friday. Lots of players have stepped up and done a great job. Moses and RJ should definitely get more playing time based on their efforts last week. ss needs to remember there are 11 players on the field at all times......Not 1 or 2!! #12 should also be on the field more.

I definitely commend R.J. and Moses on their efforts Friday night. They both should've been on the field somewhere since this season started. Also, I'm proud of #1 Larry Smith for taking the receiving game onto his shoulders with a transfer (Ashlon Adams) and 3 starting WR's injured. He still had 6 catches for over 50 yds. 53 yds maybe? #12 Tyler Pritchard is our 3rd string QB who should look to get his time in the secondary. The kid has the mechanics and the fundamentals to play QB, but he can hardly see over the line. He played a lil WR Friday, but the secondary is where he belongs. He is fast, smart, and though he is small, not afraid to hit. Also, he's playing with a chip on his shoulder because Norris slipped in and got some of his JV PT last yr as a freshman, and Kinley and Norris both took QB from him this season. My advice, get with Coach Overbay, start working with the defense more, and maybe play QB and CB his senior year as he is only a junior. We're too loaded at QB this year, and with Norris coming back next year, he'd have to win the job next season. He can make a lot more of an impact on defense and special teams. I found out that offense wasn't my forte, so I worked on CB and special teams and got on the field. Not saying that TP isn't an offensive player, because the kid can flat out play, but his size makes him more likely to contribute as a DB or WR. More likely a DB, he didn't look like he was familiar with WR play when I watched him Friday, but that's to be expected when you only practice at QB. Also, Seth Franklin #18 did a great job filling in for Corey. He showed maturity and got up to play against a Jeff Co secondary that easily had the size advantage over him. He was sticking blocks and getting after it. I'm alot more confident about our injury situation after seeing our backups play Friday. One problem SH doesn't have is depth. At one point, 3 wrs and 2 qbs were unavailable Friday, and we were still moving the ball downfield. Hopefully we'll have everybody back that is expected (#6 Grayson Janeway, #7 Wes Forbush, and #8 Corey Macpherson are all done for the year) and we can beat Campbell County at home, then worry about Karns. After Karns, DB comes to JC and we get to see how good we really are.

Our O has yet to show up against a good defense. I think with all the injuries and switching around ss should take a good look at who's playing where and fill in some needed spaces on the offense. The defense has been the main powerhouse of the team with #45 and #51 leading the pack. Maybe these guys should be used a little more on the O when things are getting tough. #12 does have a bit of a chip but his frustrations are more than legitimate. Combining #12 and #5 would literally wear a defense out and leave them wondering what was comming next. JMO

Our O has yet to show up against a good defense. I think with all the injuries and switching around ss should take a good look at who's playing where and fill in some needed spaces on the offense. The defense has been the main powerhouse of the team with #45 and #51 leading the pack. Maybe these guys should be used a little more on the O when things are getting tough. #12 does have a bit of a chip but his frustrations are more than legitimate. Combining #12 and #5 would literally wear a defense out and leave them wondering what was comming next. JMO

good point. our o line has been pretty good but the last few games they have had too many false starts and other penalltys. i would like to see pritchard play alittle more on fridays . he plays real well on mondays for jv. lets hope ss will get the o fired up with 3 weeks left. i don't know what campbell county has done this season. but our defense will be ready friday my pick

science hill 17

campbell co 10

good luck toppers

Thanks for the the compliment on Brooks. He's a hard nosed player that gives his all every game. He stays off this site during the season to stay focused on the game and his studies (3.97 GPA), but I'll make sure he gets the message. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />