Grainger Grizzlies

bballmomma

Well the ladies traveled to Pigeon Forge last night and lost 56-46 (I believe was the final). The ladies started out like they came to win with Acuff and Waldroup scoring the first 9 points of the game as the raced out to a 9-3 lead. But then the refs showed up, and started calling the pickiest fouls ever which lead to Crews and Acuff with 3 fouls each by early 2nd quarter. Turnovers also lead to their downfall, and not just one girl turning it over but all of them. They had to have the most TOs in that game than in any other game this season. Then foul trouble continued to plague the team as Crews and Acuff both recieved their 4th fouls in the third quarter. Being in foul trouble the whole night those two could never get going and I believe Acuff and Crews finished with 6 and 4 pts. respectively. On most nights both of them are scoring 10-15 each, but last night they scored 10 together. They aren't going to win many games with those two just scoring 10 pts together. Well I hope the team has a better game tonight against the ladies from Cumberland Gap, and avenge the 10-12 pt loss they suffered over there. With a win tonight the ladies should finish 3rd in the district which if I'm correct would mean they would play Union County in first district game. I might be wrong but looking at the standings on coacht I believe that is correct, but don't hold me to it, cause I'm really not sure. I would just like to say good luck to the girls tonight, and go out there and make you hometown fans proud.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the ladies traveled to Pigeon Forge last night and lost 56-46 (I believe was the final). The ladies started out like they came to win with Acuff and Waldroup scoring the first 9 points of the game as the raced out to a 9-3 lead. But then the refs showed up, and started calling the pickiest fouls ever which lead to Crews and Acuff with 3 fouls each by early 2nd quarter. Turnovers also lead to their downfall, and not just one girl turning it over but all of them. They had to have the most TOs in that game than in any other game this season. Then foul trouble continued to plague the team as Crews and Acuff both recieved their 4th fouls in the third quarter. Being in foul trouble the whole night those two could never get going and I believe Acuff and Crews finished with 6 and 4 pts. respectively. On most nights both of them are scoring 10-15 each, but last night they scored 10 together. They aren't going to win many games with those two just scoring 10 pts together. Well I hope the team has a better game tonight against the ladies from Cumberland Gap, and avenge the 10-12 pt loss they suffered over there. With a win tonight the ladies should finish 3rd in the district which if I'm correct would mean they would play Union County in first district game. I might be wrong but looking at the standings on coacht I believe that is correct, but don't hold me to it, cause I'm really not sure. I would just like to say good luck to the girls tonight, and go out there and make you hometown fans proud.

Correction on the final score it was 49-39. Sorry i just remembered it was a 10pt difference.

Correction on the final score it was 49-39. Sorry i just remembered it was a 10pt difference.

The Lady Grizzlies played a great game Friday night and defeated CG in a close one. The girls have played well the last half of the season. If they can keep playing like this they have a great chance in the district tournament. Good luck ladies!

The Lady Grizzlies played a great game Friday night and defeated CG in a close one. The girls have played well the last half of the season. If they can keep playing like this they have a great chance in the district tournament. Good luck ladies!

Agree fully with you GC. Glad to see them playing so well, I would not have believed they would be playing this well with the way season began. Glad to see everyone contribute Friday night. Ashlee, Katie, And Alayna scored I believe 32 of the 47 points, which left Mara, Kara, Taylor, and Heather contributing the other 15 points. When everyone contributes like that the ladies have a better shot at winning the game. Next up is Carter, and it could turn out to be a tough one. I know they lost the first game by 1 pt without Ashlee being there, but does anyone know how they are doing now. I also believe the ladies locked up the 3rd place in district and will be matced up against Union County the first day of districts. Well good luck to the ladies this week as they take on Carter, Cherokee, and Hancock Co.

Well the Hornets got stung in both the girls and boys action, as the Lady Grizzlies and the Grizzlies both come away with wins. BIG WINS, especially the boys. Well back to the girls, the ladies lead from start to finish (if I remember correctly), and played well. If the girls had found a way to stop Bennett from Carter they would have won by a bigger margin than 42-33. Bennett had 24 of Carter's 33 points. Crews and Acuff played well last night and according to the News Sentinel scored 12 (Crews) and 15 (Acuff) respectively. It's good when both come to play ball on the same night. The rest of the team did good too. I loved to see the hustle coming from the girls. They were diving on the floor fighting for those loose balls. Some of the calls were bad, but have to say they pretty much let them play ball last night. The one thing that worried me about the game last night was Heather Roach going into the locker room and changing then going and sitting in the stands. I heard some people say she quit the team because of disagreements with the coaching staff. Does anyone know anymore about this situation because I hope this info isn't true because she is one of the best defenders on the team, and they need her to continue playing throughout the rest of the season. If it is true then the rest of the girls will have to step it up and make up for her loss on the defensive end. If she quit who will take her starting place in the lineup? Hope someone can answer these questions for me. Anyways good luck to the ladies the rest of this week as they take on Cherokee and travel to Hancock Co.

Well the Hornets got stung in both the girls and boys action, as the Lady Grizzlies and the Grizzlies both come away with wins. BIG WINS, especially the boys. Well back to the girls, the ladies lead from start to finish (if I remember correctly), and played well. If the girls had found a way to stop Bennett from Carter they would have won by a bigger margin than 42-33. Bennett had 24 of Carter's 33 points. Crews and Acuff played well last night and according to the News Sentinel scored 12 (Crews) and 15 (Acuff) respectively. It's good when both come to play ball on the same night. The rest of the team did good too. I loved to see the hustle coming from the girls. They were diving on the floor fighting for those loose balls. Some of the calls were bad, but have to say they pretty much let them play ball last night. The one thing that worried me about the game last night was Heather Roach going into the locker room and changing then going and sitting in the stands. I heard some people say she quit the team because of disagreements with the coaching staff. Does anyone know anymore about this situation because I hope this info isn't true because she is one of the best defenders on the team, and they need her to continue playing throughout the rest of the season. If it is true then the rest of the girls will have to step it up and make up for her loss on the defensive end. If she quit who will take her starting place in the lineup? Hope someone can answer these questions for me. Anyways good luck to the ladies the rest of this week as they take on Cherokee and travel to Hancock Co.

bigbluefan, that was a big win for both teams last night, especially the boys. Skylar played an amazing game in front of Bruce Pearl. Getting back to the girls action it was good to see the hustle coming from the girls especially Katie, Ashlee, Heather, and Taylor. From my memory they were all on the floor diving after the loose balls. Heather's going to be after those balls anyway, but the other three were shockers. Sometimes they will get after it and sometimes they won't. Katie went to the floor fighting, Ashlee slid across the floor to keep possession of the ball, and Taylor took a lick to the head fighting for a loose rebound I believe. I'm just glad to see the hustle. As for Heather, the word I heard from Ashlee and Kara was that in fact she did quit the team. Reasons behind it I'm not sure and they weren't for sure either. I know this will be a big loss to the defensive side of the ball where i believe she was the best defensive player the team had. Yes the other girls can play defense, but she was best and would give it all she had when it come to that side of the ball. I now some of the girls were shocked and upsert by her quitting, especially Ashlee, who has played with Heather since the beginning of middle school, and even started aau on the same team as Heather 6-7 yrs ago. But for the team the rest of the girls are going to have to step up and play the best defense they know how, and if last night was any indicator to the heart and hustle of these girls, they should be alright. I was also glad to see Katie and Ashlee both doing good on the offensive end of the ball, and hustling on the defensive side. Keep it up girls and good things will come to you guys come tourney time. Because I don't think there is any team that can beat you when you all play ball like you know how. Good luck against Cherokee and Hancock County.

bigbluefan, that was a big win for both teams last night, especially the boys. Skylar played an amazing game in front of Bruce Pearl. Getting back to the girls action it was good to see the hustle coming from the girls especially Katie, Ashlee, Heather, and Taylor. From my memory they were all on the floor diving after the loose balls. Heather's going to be after those balls anyway, but the other three were shockers. Sometimes they will get after it and sometimes they won't. Katie went to the floor fighting, Ashlee slid across the floor to keep possession of the ball, and Taylor took a lick to the head fighting for a loose rebound I believe. I'm just glad to see the hustle. As for Heather, the word I heard from Ashlee and Kara was that in fact she did quit the team. Reasons behind it I'm not sure and they weren't for sure either. I know this will be a big loss to the defensive side of the ball where i believe she was the best defensive player the team had. Yes the other girls can play defense, but she was best and would give it all she had when it come to that side of the ball. I now some of the girls were shocked and upsert by her quitting, especially Ashlee, who has played with Heather since the beginning of middle school, and even started aau on the same team as Heather 6-7 yrs ago. But for the team the rest of the girls are going to have to step up and play the best defense they know how, and if last night was any indicator to the heart and hustle of these girls, they should be alright. I was also glad to see Katie and Ashlee both doing good on the offensive end of the ball, and hustling on the defensive side. Keep it up girls and good things will come to you guys come tourney time. Because I don't think there is any team that can beat you when you all play ball like you know how. Good luck against Cherokee and Hancock County.

Thanks for the info on Heather, and after seeing last nights game I guess she did really quit. By watching some of the girls actions, I think some of them miss her out their on the floor with them. Anyway getting back to the game, the girls won last night 47-43 (I believe was the final). Crews and Acuff are continuing to play like they know how. Yeah they still have a few slip-ups, but they are doing really well on the offensive end. Acuff had a great game last night scoring 19 points and nailing 3 out of 4 three pointers. Crews also did well scoring 12-14, and hitting a three of her own. The threes though were falling from everywhere last night. Acuff had 3, Crews 1, Lamb 1, Cabbage 1, and Waldroup 1. That's five three pointer from your bigs. Anyway back to the game, there are still too many turnovers especially coming from the guard play, and I don't care if that makes some mad but its just the truth. Yes the bigs turn it over quite a bit but not near as many times as the guards. If these problems still continue then that makes chances of winning the district a long shot because turnovers was the main reasons in the district losses they have now. If they can limit the turnovers and still get this kind of play from Acuff and Crews then the skies the limit for this team cause they can beat any of the teams in the district. Well just want to wish the girls good luck tonight against Hancock Co. and against Seymour tuesday night.

If Heather quit then I'm extremely disappointed. I'm sure it wasn't just her decision...then again I've not been involved with the teams on-hand since 2006 so there's no telling what all has transpired since I moved.

I'm just really disappointed. I would imagine it's not like her to quit. It looks like it's been an up and down season for everyone, but you gotta persevere.

If Heather quit then I'm extremely disappointed. I'm sure it wasn't just her decision...then again I've not been involved with the teams on-hand since 2006 so there's no telling what all has transpired since I moved.

I'm just really disappointed. I would imagine it's not like her to quit. It looks like it's been an up and down season for everyone, but you gotta persevere.

KevB, like I posted earlier I heard it was over the coaching staff, specifically Coach Roach. Like I said I'm not exactly sure what went down, but the night it happened I heard Heather tell some people that she could not take how Coach Roach was treating her anymore, and how some other things were transpiring. Didn't here her give details on that, she was mostly telling about herself. Thats why I came on here to find out if anyone else knew what happened. At the game Thursday night against Cherokee I overheard Heather tell another person that Mr. Cabbage had been called in on the situation and that he was taking the situation to Terry Acuff. Again, don't know how credible the info is it's just what I heard Heather saying. The bad thing is it is happening at a very crucial time of the season. I mean the girls have won, I think, 9 of the last 11 games, and on top of that districts begin this coming weekend. I just wished she would have chosen to follow through with the season and if she wanted to quit and not play next year then so be it. But quitting like this is doing nothing but hurting yourself, and most importantly letting your teammates down.

Well the district tournament starts tonight, and does anyone have any predictions on who they think will win. I know G-P plays Claiborne then Grainger plays Union Co. with the winners of these games playing Pigeon Forge and Cumberland Gap tomorrow and automatically getting a game in regionals next week. I don't know much about the G-P/Claiborne game or who might win, but I believe G-P beat Cumberland Gap recently so this might be a good game. Of course with the Grainger/Union Co. game I'm going to give the nod to Grainger based solely on the dominating victories during the season, but we've all heard the saying its hard to beat a team 3 times in a season. But I still think Grainger has to many weapons for Union Co. to overcome. If Grainger can get all their scorers going things could turn out ugly for Union Co. This is the time when Crews, Acuff, and Waldroup need to take on their leadership roles as veterns of this team and lead these ladies to good things. Will this be an easy tourney for the girls to win, no, but can they win if they give it their all and leave it out there on the floor, YES. Crews and Acuff need to keep the offensive intensity coming like they have in the past 8-10 games, and the guards need to handle the ball better and get it to the playmakers hands instead of the other teams hands. If I was a coach from an opposing team I would not want to play the Lady Grizzlies right now because in the past few games they have shown they are a team to be reckoned with if they set their minds to coming out and playing the best ball they know how. Ladies your going to have the home crowd rooting for you so go out there and give them a show. Let's put that district tournament trophy and nets in the trophy case for everyone to see for years to come. Good Luck to the ladies and good luck to all the teams, and may the best team win. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Well the district tournament starts tonight, and does anyone have any predictions on who they think will win. I know G-P plays Claiborne then Grainger plays Union Co. with the winners of these games playing Pigeon Forge and Cumberland Gap tomorrow and automatically getting a game in regionals next week. I don't know much about the G-P/Claiborne game or who might win, but I believe G-P beat Cumberland Gap recently so this might be a good game. Of course with the Grainger/Union Co. game I'm going to give the nod to Grainger based solely on the dominating victories during the season, but we've all heard the saying its hard to beat a team 3 times in a season. But I still think Grainger has to many weapons for Union Co. to overcome. If Grainger can get all their scorers going things could turn out ugly for Union Co. This is the time when Crews, Acuff, and Waldroup need to take on their leadership roles as veterns of this team and lead these ladies to good things. Will this be an easy tourney for the girls to win, no, but can they win if they give it their all and leave it out there on the floor, YES. Crews and Acuff need to keep the offensive intensity coming like they have in the past 8-10 games, and the guards need to handle the ball better and get it to the playmakers hands instead of the other teams hands. If I was a coach from an opposing team I would not want to play the Lady Grizzlies right now because in the past few games they have shown they are a team to be reckoned with if they set their minds to coming out and playing the best ball they know how. Ladies your going to have the home crowd rooting for you so go out there and give them a show. Let's put that district tournament trophy and nets in the trophy case for everyone to see for years to come. Good Luck to the ladies and good luck to all the teams, and may the best team win. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Oh Bballmomma has been watching from the top of the arena and was shocked to see how our ladies played even though they beat Union County then come back to lose against Claiborne...gee whiz. Roach is a big loss in the defense of these girls she would kick butt all the time might not could shoot worth a flip but she can play defense. Acuff, Waldroup and Crews have all been ok during the tourney but sure didn't stand out like they needed to. But i will say last nite Crews kicked up the points while Acuff made the assists and blocks but couldn't hardly buy a shot but that's shows a good player when the offense isn't there she kicks up the defense. Waldroup sure didn't play to her potential but she knows how to rebound. The guards were ok to but i think next year Maples and CAbbage will be more helpful as they'll have a year behind them and the experience of H.S ball. Of course for anyone who was there last nite in the second half these girls for the first time this year ( well the games i've seen ) actually played like a team and showed NO signs of selfishness. If this play will carry over the first region game should be a good one. CONGRATS to Crews and Waldroup on the all tourney team. Girls keep it together and play team ball and you can go further than round one in the regions... /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

District 1 has four very good teams ready for action Friday night. South Greene, Elizabethton, and Unicoi Co. are all outstanding. Chuckey-Doak is dangerous and did beat Elizabethton and Unicoi Co. in the regular season. I predict District 1 will win at least three of the first round games and a sweep is not out of the question.