LONGEST FIELD GOAL IN THE STATE

ENHWasps

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright i'm not disagreeing with you but more questioning the coach's decision on this one. Beach @ SC in week 4 Sc is down 13-14 with like 5 sec. left SC has the ball on beach's 40 which would make it a 57 yarder (ten yard endzone +7 for the snap) alright Reed had already made 2 field goals earlier in the game to put them in this situation to even have a chance to win so if i'm coaching SC at that point im letting the kid kick it instead of trying a hail marry.

Agree or disagree with me?

Throw the hail mary! 57 yards is an extremely low percentage kick for an NFL kicker let alone a high school kicker with a high school snapper and a high school holder. If the kid did hit from 65 in practice it was most likely without a snap, hold, or rush, and probably wind aided. I'd never put a game on the back of a high school kid expecting him to hit a 57 yard field goal. I did look up this kids stats after the initial post in the Tennessean and he does have good numbers though. I think they show he has made more PAT's then attempted.

Throw the hail mary! 57 yards is an extremely low percentage kick for an NFL kicker let alone a high school kicker with a high school snapper and a high school holder. If the kid did hit from 65 in practice it was most likely without a snap, hold, or rush, and probably wind aided. I'd never put a game on the back of a high school kid expecting him to hit a 57 yard field goal. I did look up this kids stats after the initial post in the Tennessean and he does have good numbers though. I think they show he has made more PAT's then attempted.

So putting the game on a high school kid expecting him to throw a 40 yard hail marry pass is a better option? What is the success rate of the hail marry? Gotta be pretty low... It is often used and seldom works... Why not take a chance on the kicker if he has the leg to get it there?

EDIT: Actually... I just noticed your screen name... You'd probably punt the ball so that you could play field position! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

So putting the game on a high school kid expecting him to throw a 40 yard hail marry pass is a better option? What is the success rate of the hail marry? Gotta be pretty low... It is often used and seldom works... Why not take a chance on the kicker if he has the leg to get it there?

EDIT: Actually... I just noticed your screen name... You'd probably punt the ball so that you could play field position! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Now who's bashing coaches, looks like we all do. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Fulmer want resign they will have to terminate him. He thinks they owe him.

I'd throw the hail Mary also for some of the same reasons you stated. 57 yards is a lot of pressure on any kicker especially with a game on the line. It will be missed 9 out of 10 times by the best kickers, in a game type situation. With the Hail Mary at least you have the possibility of a defensive penalty extending the game and possibly setting up a much more makable field goal should the play be unsuccessful. I'd say the coach not only made the right decision, but made the decision that 95 % of all coaches would of made.

Jamin Godfrey, McMinn Central vs Meigs Co. this year, 47 yds. He has hit from 55 in practice from snap and hold.

Here is a link to the Godfey kick. Pick the McMinn Central vs. Notre Dame game from the pull down tab at the bottom of the video area. It is near the end of the clip but I suggest watch the whole thing. Its impressive.

http://www.highschoolbandwagon.com/video.aspx?iid=2

No wind, and he routinely hits over 60 yarders with live snap and rush. I won't come on here and say that he should have gotten the kick vs. Beech, like you said that is a loooong kick for a 16 year old to hit.

Now who's bashing coaches, looks like we all do. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Fulmer want resign they will have to terminate him. He thinks they owe him.

Listen Bratt... I've already told you.... You can't compare college coaches with high school coaches... Fulmer earns Millions of dollars a year to do one thing... Coach football.... So, yeah... he is fair game to bash if he isn't performing at his job.... Unfortunately, some parents and fans feel that the same mentality can be applied to high school coaches...

T. Saye; Spring Hill at Alcoa; 42 yards.

The only score for SH vs Alcoa. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

In 1997 Spring Hill's Soph. Kicker Nathan Thurman attempted a 74 yard field goal against Boliver Central in the second round of the 3A play offs with 6 seconds left. I know this is a made FG thread. But I remember standing in the huddle and I asked Nathan if he was nervous. Heck I tried to calm him down. Cause the day before we were talking about the longest FG ever made. Needless to say we lost 15-13.