Milan at Dresden

onesixes

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats that suppose to mean??

That's Coleman's nickname that we know him by. He's a junior in his family, so he's been called Junior a lot of his life. Just a little insight there pal /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

This game won't be close, but Coach Morris will keep the Dawgs from running the score up too much. I say 42-6, Dresden scores late 4th quarter but misses the extra point.

This should not be a topic because all its going to be is a high scoring blowout for the bulldogs of milan.....there is no way dresden will put a point on the scoreboard. A lot of celebration time for the Bulldogs.....The young one will get a lot of playing time in this game......I say Varsity plays til the half (winning big) and the B team comes out after the half and adds on to the score.

The extra day of rest and fall break weekend seems to come at a convenient time for the Bulldogs.

Got to get the injured guys healthy and back over the next two weeks.

Coach Morris sums it up in today's paper: "We've got work to do and things we need to improve on. But we need a little rest right now, and we're going to get some and enjoy it and come back to start getting better as a team."

IMO, here are some things Milan can work on:

-Pass defense. The Bulldogs gave up a combined 795 passing yards to USJ and JCS. Granted, those are two very talented quarterbacks and Milan won both games. But I figure they will have to stop the pass at some point in the playoffs to advance.

-Penalties. Milan has been penalized 46 times for 371 yards. That's 46.4 ypg, but the 'Dogs have been penalized more than their opponents in six of eight games. A good number of those have been holding calls that impact offensive possessions.

-Motivation. A local college coach has used "passion" and "enthusiasm" as key words for his team this season. It's this idea of giving your best effort on every play. Milan should finish the regular season undefeated. Then what? That's up to the players. I'd like to see the Bulldog seniors take a commanding leadership role, as well as a serious approach to practice and the games.

But, there's a lot of things Milan has done well this season. The running game is obviously very strong, but Justin and his receivers have done a tremendous job. The run defense has been solid. It seems like the coaches have put together a great game plan every week.

Let's take it one week at a time. Dresden is up next, and they have a young team but have shown some progress this season.

I disagree with some of your comments. First, I don't think that the bulldog coaches had such a "great" game plan against USJ and they simply repeated the same plan against JCS and gave up way too much yardage to their passing game. Our defensive line is doing what amounts to running wind sprints during these games because they really don't have much of a chance at getting to the qb when our db's are playing 10yds off the ball and retreating. I thought that our coaches would've learned the lesson against USJ and not repeated it against JCS but that didn't happen and we failed to get pressure on the qb and made that game closer than it really should've been. I agree with you that we need to be motivated but I don't think you can put all of that on the seniors of this team. I don't see many guys giving up on plays or not giving it their all for the most part. What I do see is a team that seems to not have much motivation from the top and it is starting to filter down through the team and cause the entire team to just go through the motions. I don't know the coaches personally but I say that motivation and enthusiasm starts at the top with the coaches and when the coaches show that they care enough to get excited and make some real changes then the players will be motivated to play harder and go the extra mile.

Guest nwtnsports

Nice post. Very well put.

I'm not trying to argue with you. In fact, I agree with just about everything you said. So take this lightly. But my comment about the coaching was because I do NOT like to personally be critical of coaches or student-athletes. It was meant to be a blanket statement for the first eight games of the season.

You're right about the motivation. It is not the responsibility of only the seniors. I just used them as an example, because of their experience and that usually the younger players look to them for leadership. But with Milan's team this year, there are several key players who are juniors or sophomores. I'm not at the Bulldog practices, so I'm not saying that this isn't happening, but it should be everyone - coaches, starters, sideline players - who are motivated and enthused. Especially with this team's talent and potential.

Victor put my post in much better words in his column in last week's Milan paper. I'm very excited that Milan is 8-0. But I just have this gut feeling that if some things don't change, they won't be going as far as Bulldog fans - self included - hope they will.

Nice post. Very well put.

I'm not trying to argue with you. In fact, I agree with just about everything you said. So take this lightly. But my comment about the coaching was because I do NOT like to personally be critical of coaches or student-athletes. It was meant to be a blanket statement for the first eight games of the season.

You're right about the motivation. It is not the responsibility of only the seniors. I just used them as an example, because of their experience and that usually the younger players look to them for leadership. But with Milan's team this year, there are several key players who are juniors or sophomores. I'm not at the Bulldog practices, so I'm not saying that this isn't happening, but it should be everyone - coaches, starters, sideline players - who are motivated and enthused. Especially with this team's talent and potential.

Victor put my post in much better words in his column in last week's Milan paper. I'm very excited that Milan is 8-0. But I just have this gut feeling that if some things don't change, they won't be going as far as Bulldog fans - self included - hope they will.

They will be fine - there has been no need to show all of our cards yet. Yes we have been in some close games and I would have done some things differently but so what? I'm not a coach!!! Our coaching staff didn't go dumb all of a sudden. I am sure that when the playoffs start we will have some new wrinkles. Good coaching staffs make the neccessary adjustments in rematches and I fully expect us to do the same. This is a championship staff and they will get the job done when it counts.

I disagree with some of your comments. First, I don't think that the bulldog coaches had such a "great" game plan against USJ and they simply repeated the same plan against JCS and gave up way too much yardage to their passing game. Our defensive line is doing what amounts to running wind sprints during these games because they really don't have much of a chance at getting to the qb when our db's are playing 10yds off the ball and retreating. I thought that our coaches would've learned the lesson against USJ and not repeated it against JCS but that didn't happen and we failed to get pressure on the qb and made that game closer than it really should've been. I agree with you that we need to be motivated but I don't think you can put all of that on the seniors of this team. I don't see many guys giving up on plays or not giving it their all for the most part. What I do see is a team that seems to not have much motivation from the top and it is starting to filter down through the team and cause the entire team to just go through the motions. I don't know the coaches personally but I say that motivation and enthusiasm starts at the top with the coaches and when the coaches show that they care enough to get excited and make some real changes then the players will be motivated to play harder and go the extra mile.