Oak Ridge vs. Ooltewah

Ole Dad

No, you get the story straight. You are dead wrong. He most certainly DID badmouth the program. He might have talked to you, but he also did alot of other talking as well. 4 years is a long time and memories are short, but he was most certainly a bitter, bitter man and his players knew it.

Another fact: he badmouthed Lussier like a dog behind the man's back. those are facts. Plenty more than one person heard him. Maybe he is a different man now, but those ARE the facts.

Nope, you're dead wrong. Regardless of what you may have heard, he never badmouthed the players. The coaches, yes because he knew they weren't worth a flip (which he was right about by the way). But he never badmouthed the coach in front of the kids either. If he wants to talk to friends or family about his personal opinion then there's nothing wrong about that but he's been nothing but professional in front of the kids. I've heard him around the football players since he left and whenever they'd criticize the coach (which there were a lot of them even in his first year) Ron would tell them to listen to the coach and just play football. THAT is a fact. The kids looked up to Ron even more than their own coach. Go talk to kids like Alex Stewart or Tyler Clark or the Gulmire boys or any of the quality kids OR has had recently and ask them which coach they would have preferred to have.

By the way, I'd like for you to find a staff member that DIDN'T dog Lussier behind his back. The man was a jerk.

Look I'm no Ron Gray apologist or anything but facts are facts. He made mistakes definitely when he left, there's no denying it. However, I know the man personally and he's the absolute right guy to turn this program around. There's no doubt in my mind about that.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would be the chance of somebody from outside of oak ridge getting the job, if stevens is no longer there? Maybe a younger guy with a lot of gumption and a great work ethic? I know of several young coaches around the area that could be great head coaches. Would the oak ridge faithful allow that sort of change or would it be a big to do? Just curious.

VilleRam I wondered about you, when you wanted to have pizza with Don Colquitt ( who is OK but doesn't need to be on the coaching staff) and now you're badmouthing Lussier. Without Lussier's influence Stanton would have never made it to the Boro with the Cats. Ron burned his bridges with Oak Ridge long ago so just get over it, he ain't coming back.

And yes veerman8133 that is what would be best for this program.

Nope, you're dead wrong. Regardless of what you may have heard, he never badmouthed the players. The coaches, yes because he knew they weren't worth a flip (which he was right about by the way). But he never badmouthed the coach in front of the kids either. If he wants to talk to friends or family about his personal opinion then there's nothing wrong about that but he's been nothing but professional in front of the kids. I've heard him around the football players since he left and whenever they'd criticize the coach (which there were a lot of them even in his first year) Ron would tell them to listen to the coach and just play football. THAT is a fact. The kids looked up to Ron even more than their own coach. Go talk to kids like Alex Stewart or Tyler Clark or the Gulmire boys or any of the quality kids OR has had recently and ask them which coach they would have preferred to have.

By the way, I'd like for you to find a staff member that DIDN'T dog Lussier behind his back. The man was a jerk.

Look I'm no Ron Gray apologist or anything but facts are facts. He made mistakes definitely when he left, there's no denying it. However, I know the man personally and he's the absolute right guy to turn this program around. There's no doubt in my mind about that.

Do not misquote me. If your memory is so short that you can't quote me correctly on a post from a previous page then it is no great surprise that you can't remember the events as they happened 4 years ago. I DID NOT say he badmouthed the players. I said the PROGRAM.

Gray never coached Tyler Clark. No point in even talking about that.

Some kids DO look up to Gray. You are correct there. Many who played for Lussier also looked up to him. I know jerks when I see them and while you might qualify for that role, Lussier is no jerk.

You say all staff badmouthed Lussier so that excuses Gray for doing it (I guess is what you are saying). I don't care how he felt about the man or what he said at home to his wife, but a PROFESSIONAL would not have done that. And one who would is not the man to lead this program.

Unless you are Ron yourself then you can't possible know what he said 24/7.

I do not dislike Ron, and I do think he was a good offensvive coordiator. I just don't think he is the right man for the head job. Nothing personal/just my opinion for whatever that is worth. Ron does have some supporters in town, BUT he also has many who do not like him and the LAST thing we need is another coach who will divide this townl.

ps: is this you, Ron?

It's not about what the town wants, it's about winning games. If Oak Ridge starts winning games, there won't be any trouble in the town.

I'm not Ron Gray but I played for him long ago and I know exactly what kind of coach he is. He's the kind of coach players want to play for. He got the most out of us. He treated us well and was heavy with the praise when we did well but was the first one to kick us in the butt when we screwed up. I also played for Lussier, and there weren't many kids that looked up to Lussier. We respected him and continue to respect him because he was the authority and he didn't mistreat the guys but if we had to choose between Lussier and Gray, Gray was the choice for almost every player. Jerk was probably too strong of a word but he was very distant and was more of a CEO-coach than a players-coach. I know most of the kids that are the future of the program and they need a coach that will teach them to be men and will get them on the right path. From personal experience, Ron Gray is that guy.

By the way, he had Tyler Clark in class and the two are pretty close. Tyler would tell you in a heartbeat he would rather have played for Gray.

It's not about what the town wants, it's about winning games. If Oak Ridge starts winning games, there won't be any trouble in the town.

I'm not Ron Gray but I played for him long ago and I know exactly what kind of coach he is. He's the kind of coach players want to play for. He got the most out of us. He treated us well and was heavy with the praise when we did well but was the first one to kick us in the butt when we screwed up. I also played for Lussier, and there weren't many kids that looked up to Lussier. We respected him and continue to respect him because he was the authority and he didn't mistreat the guys but if we had to choose between Lussier and Gray, Gray was the choice for almost every player. Jerk was probably too strong of a word but he was very distant and was more of a CEO-coach than a players-coach. I know most of the kids that are the future of the program and they need a coach that will teach them to be men and will get them on the right path. From personal experience, Ron Gray is that guy.

By the way, he had Tyler Clark in class and the two are pretty close. Tyler would tell you in a heartbeat he would rather have played for Gray.

Again you misquote me: I did not say what the town WANTS: I said what the town NEEDS. It's a one high school town so our kids needs directly reflect OUR NEEDS....NOT WANTS.

I would agree with you and bet you a week's paycheck that you are RIGHT about whether Tyler Clark would rather have played for Ron as Stanton. You keep talking apples and oranges. As I said earlier: T. Clark is a moot point.

I'm sorry but Ron's time has come and gone here. He has been at 3 different schools since 05. If he had not have gotten his jock strap in a wad he could have stayed here with the kids he "loved" and waited this thing out. He is also way way too controversial. As I said: there are those who like him and those who don't. We, the people, the town the kids the parents whoever you want to call us don't need a guy like this. I respect all the guys who played for him: know many of them myself.

And last: thanks for the time you gave to the program.

Try to look at it from his point of view though. Your the offensive coordinator for many years. You run a good offense and you're well liked by the players. Then the new coach comes in and tells you that you can't be offensive coordinator anymore and doesn't give a reason. Wouldn't you be bitter? A program that you devoted so much to for the last what, 7 or 8 years, tells you that you're not important anymore and demotes you. I mean come on, I'd be ticked off also. Like I said, he talked about the coaches and the direction the program was heading but he never caused any real trouble. He supported the kids and encouraged them a lot.

I don't understand why he's so controversial? You're not going to find a coach that everyone likes, there will always be a group that hates the hiring, a group that loves it and a group that's indifferent. Any coach will rub some people in town the wrong way. The thing that makes everything better is wins. They can criticize all they want but as long as the team is getting W's and the players aren't causing problems, everything is ok. Gray would deliver that in my opinion.

How would he teach values when he is a quitter himself? He hadn't proven anything to Stevens so instead of sticking around and contributing and proving himself to the new coach he got bitter and quit and then bad mouthed the coaches and program. Then he went to the head coach at Bearden....oh I forgot...he got the job and then quit...should I go on?

Ole Dad

quote name='VilleRam' date='Oct 27 2008 - 07:56 PM' post='826919855']

Try to look at it from his point of view though. Your the offensive coordinator for many years. You run a good offense and you're well liked by the players. Then the new coach comes in and tells you that you can't be offensive coordinator anymore and doesn't give a reason. Wouldn't you be bitter? A program that you devoted so much to for the last what, 7 or 8 years, tells you that you're not important anymore and demotes you. I mean come on, I'd be ticked off also. Like I said, he talked about the coaches and the direction the program was heading but he never caused any real trouble. He supported the kids and encouraged them a lot.

I don't understand why he's so controversial? You're not going to find a coach that everyone likes, there will always be a group that hates the hiring, a group that loves it and a group that's indifferent. Any coach will rub some people in town the wrong way. The thing that makes everything better is wins. They can criticize all they want but as long as the team is getting W's and the players aren't causing problems, everything is ok. Gray would deliver that in my opinion.

How would he teach values when he is a quitter himself? He hadn't proven anything to Stevens so instead of sticking around and contributing and proving himself to the new coach he got bitter and quit and then bad mouthed the coaches and program. Then he went to the head coach at Bearden....oh I forgot...he got the job and then quit...should I go on?

Ole Dad

quote name='VilleRam' date='Oct 27 2008 - 07:56 PM' post='826919855']

Thanks Ole Dad. I was beginning to feel lonely.