Oak Ridge vs. Ooltewah

Ole Dad

Well, at least when the coach you are talking about stabs someone in the back they don't have to worry that he may be using a real knife.

Ram Dad

I saw this coming. I go to a lot of OR practices and it's a sad excuse for a football team. I blame the kids, the parents, and especially the coaches. The kids don't have any discipline, they don't want to win it seems. Most are just there to say they're on the football team and there are a lot that would quit and not care one bit. The only reason they haven't is because they get to play. They don't care about the Oak Ridge football legacy, which I was a part of. There's no strong leadership, players and coaches included. There's not one guy that everyone listens to and can take charge. I've seen guys try, but other guys tell them to shut up. It's sad really.

Then we get to the coaches who I firmly believe are completely incompetent. There are maybe 3 guys on that staff who are qualified to be there....the rest are jokers. As I said, I go watch practices and the coaches are content to stand around and shoot the breeze while the kids half-butt their drills. As I said, it's pathetic to watch. I've seen coaches recently explaining concepts to players that should have been drilled into their brains in July! They let them do everything the wrong way in practice and when the game comes around, they wonder why on earth the players are doing things the wrong way. Nevermind the fact that the playbook (which was never actually given to the players) looks like it was written by a Boys Club coach. I have a copy of it sitting in my office and I laughed when I read it. Set aside the fact that the playbook is garbage (which I've heard isn't really being followed closely anyway), it's not even the right offense for the players they have. I've never heard of a coaching staff do such a poor job.

I think blame should also be placed on the parents and the community. As bad as Stevens has been, the community/parents hasn't helped the team out by constantly bad mouthing him. I don't like the guy anymore than any of you, but the players aren't going to play for a guy they think is a joke (I've heard those exact words used by multiple players on multiple occasions). While it's Stanton's job to establish himself as the leader, the parents and community need to back him, at least in front of the players. If they hear mom or dad ragging on him or alumni ragging on him and saying he's done a crappy job then the players will believe that are going to think that way. In front of the kids or in places where the kids can read stuff, support the guy. You don't have to say wonderful things, just don't tear him down. That kind of stuff is part of the reason these kids don't want to play for him. Maybe they figure it out for themselves but they don't need that seed of doubt planted in their head. Having said that, Stanton should have been a strong enough leader to overcome stuff like that and prove himself to his kids. He hasn't proven squat. Plain and simple.

All in all, it's a mess. It won't be hard to bring the team out of the mess though, they just need the right coach. There is a coach I KNOW could do it. I won't say his name but he's doing well over at Catholic right now.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was unable to attend the game because I had to work. My brother went. I told him before the game I was a little worried because in the end it is OAK RIDGE. He called me from the game and said I would not have believed it. He said there were more people from Ooltewah there than Oak Ridge. He said the Wildcats looked like they were just NOT THERE. No emotion just going through the motions. He said it was almost sad. He said at one point one of the Wildcats actually got the ball and ran the wrong way. Everyone laughed. I know people get on here and spout alot of stuff. But I really didn't have any idea the state of things there until we played them . I am amazed it has gotten this bad. Sad for the kids and community. I read a quote from Coach Stevens in the OR paper. It said "they (OWLSS) do like we did with Spencer Gulmeir when we went to the state. They line up and run straight at you."That is not "what we do" it is all we had to do. GO OWLS

At one time in the game The Owls had 500+ yards and Oak Ridge had 18. The Oak Ridger article must have been written by Bailey and Stevens as it puts the cause of no one attending the game being the weather. It also talks about Oak Ridge gaining lots of yards late in the game. You think that may have been because the Owls were playing their 9th graders? I have attached an article from The KNS by Blackerby that is much more accurate.

Ram Dad

???That??™s not a knife, this is a knife???. Crocodile Dundee or Tom Bailey?

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/oct/25/o...over-oak-ridge/

Now, read the Oak Ridger article. Same game?

http://www.oakridger.com/breaking/x2709805...nces-vaporizing

quote name='lovehsfootball' date='Oct 25 2008 - 07:40 AM' post='826915676']

I was unable to attend the game because I had to work. My brother went. I told him before the game I was a little worried because in the end it is OAK RIDGE. He called me from the game and said I would not have believed it. He said there were more people from Ooltewah there than Oak Ridge. He said the Wildcats looked like they were just NOT THERE. No emotion just going through the motions. He said it was almost sad. He said at one point one of the Wildcats actually got the ball and ran the wrong way. Everyone laughed. I know people get on here and spout alot of stuff. But I really didn't have any idea the state of things there until we played them . I am amazed it has gotten this bad. Sad for the kids and community. I read a quote from Coach Stevens in the OR paper. It said "they (OWLSS) do like we did with Spencer Gulmeir when we went to the state. They line up and run straight at you."That is not "what we do" it is all we had to do. GO OWLS

Villeran you do just what you said shouldn't be done, brought out the "coach's" shortcomings. Doesn't matter anymore though nobody cares! Just one more game and this miserable season will be over. Then it will be time to call in the dogs and put out the fire. The fans can't get anyones ear so maybe we can get in their pocketbook or stay out of it may be better. Maybe the powers will get the message that way.

Like LOD said Turn out the lights the party's over! wasn't much of a party was it?

Hey Starsandbars can I become a Maryville fan like someone else from Oke Gridge we know?

Villeran you do just what you said shouldn't be done, brought out the "coach's" shortcomings. Doesn't matter anymore though nobody cares! Just one more game and this miserable season will be over. Then it will be time to call in the dogs and put out the fire. The fans can't get anyones ear so maybe we can get in their pocketbook or stay out of it may be better. Maybe the powers will get the message that way.

Like LOD said Turn out the lights the party's over! wasn't much of a party was it?

Hey Starsandbars can I become a Maryville fan like someone else from Oke Gridge we know?

All are welcome ! lol . I hate seeing this almost as much as some of you guys , I still remember from 30 years ago when I played how just Mentioning Oak Ridge Football brought visions of a powerhouse dynasty . Sad thing Is , I thought that Oak Ridge had made a good choice at first , with Oak Ridge going to state his first year , now it's quite obvious that they got there despite the coaching . I guess with George Quarles saying positive things about Stevens , I just assumed this guy knew what he was doing . In hindsight , I guess that was just George being a respectful Gentleman , more than Stevens being a good Coach . For whats best for the program , I just hope Stevens goes away quietly , so Oak Ridge can move on . If he doesn't , things could possibly get even worse , and that's hard to believe , but true . If this can happen at Oak Ridge , It can happen at Maryville or anywhere else too . Geez , I just hope Quarles stays till he's about 85 ! lol

Good posts pepvol. Anyone who would bash kids on here should be horsewhipped.

Ooltewah fans.

You guys should thank your lucky stars for Benny Monroe. Monroe has always been a great coach. Maryville's success in the early 70s was because of Monroe. Cleveland hasn't been the same since he left. I also remember back in the day when Monroe was at Cleveland he had teams that killed Ooltewah. I remember 1 year the final score was 70-0. The Cleveland team in 93 beat Maryville 70-28.

I remember Oak Ridge fans wanting Bruce Lussier fired. I bet they would take Lussier back in a heartbeat. Stanton Stevens made a huge mistake leaving Austin East.

I remember Oak Ridge fans wanting Bruce Lussier fired. I bet they would take Lussier back in a heartbeat.

After hearing some Father Ryan fans talk at the little league fields this morning, on the heels of their worst loss ever to MBA, 36 total yards of offense, and just no passion, I think a large contingent of Ryan fans would let ORHS have him back.

/roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Bounder....

Ewe must impruve ewer spellin an typin skills if ewe want two join Bldrunner inn the Rebel Nation... Ewe shuud buy some red and black cloze an git ewe a Rebel Flag... I'm shur Starz wood twodoor ewe inn inglish...

tpoole12

At one time in the game The Owls had 500+ yards and Oak Ridge had 18. The Oak Ridger article must have been written by Bailey and Stevens as it puts the cause of no one attending the game being the weather. It also talks about Oak Ridge gaining lots of yards late in the game. You think that may have been because the Owls were playing their 9th graders? I have attached an article from The KNS by Blackerby that is much more accurate.

Ram Dad

???That??™s not a knife, this is a knife???. Crocodile Dundee or Tom Bailey?

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/oct/25/o...over-oak-ridge/

Now, read the Oak Ridger article. Same game?

http://www.oakridger.com/breaking/x2709805...nces-vaporizing

This is an easy one, the KNS writer (Mike Blackerby) is an alumni of Oak Ridge from the 1970's, and he has witnessed big crowds at Oak Ridge games regardless of the weather, especially when it's the ninth game of the year, senior night etc...

The Oak Ridge reporter is not an alumni, and can only go by what he has been told regarding the rich tradition of Oak Ridge football. It would be hard for him to bite the hand that feeds him (Stevens). /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />