5A Playoffs

5A R1/R2 Playoff Predictions  

55 members have voted

1. 1. 5A R1/R2 Playoff Predictions

The TSSAA released playoff possibilities today. They are listed below. Let the conversations begin, let??™s try to keep it classy, /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />.

Region 1

Dobyns-Bennett is first, Bearden is second, and Science Hill is third unless Science Hill wins and Bearden loses, in which case, Science Hill is first, Dobyns-Bennett is second, and Bearden is third.

If Campbell County wins, Campbell County is fourth.

If Campbell County loses, Sevier County is fourth.

Region 2

If Ooltewah wins, Ooltewah is first, Farragut is second, and Soddy-Daisy is third.

If Ooltewah loses and Farragut wins, Farragut is first, Soddy-Daisy is second, and Ooltewah is third.

If Ooltewah loses and Farragut loses, Soddy-Daisy is first, Ooltewah is second, and Farragut is third.

If McMinn County wins, McMinn County is fourth.

If McMinn County loses and Oak Ridge wins, Oak Ridge is fourth.

If McMinn County loses and Oak Ridge loses, Bradley Central is fourth.

Obviously the poll questions above are based on my opinion on how the last weeks match ups will play out and who will qualify for the playoffs. In Region 1, I am confident that Dobyns Bennett will finish the #1 seed, win or lose. I do not see Bearden losing to Jefferson Co. this week. Therefore, Region 1 finishes as follows:

#1 Dobyns Bennett

#2 Bearden

#3 Science Hill

#4 Campbell Co.

For those fans from Region 2, feel free to help me out. I do not see Oak Ridge having a chance against Farragut and I feel Ooltewah is too strong on defense, and offense for that matter, to falter against Soddy Daisy this week. McMinn Co., I believe, will take care of business Friday night and wrap up the #4 seed. Therefore, Region 2 finishes as follows:

#1 Ooltewah

#2 Farragut

#3 Soddy Daisy

#4 McMinn Co.

These seedings will result in first round match ups as follows:

#1 Dobyns Bennett

#4 McMinn Co.

#2 Farragut

#3 Science Hill

------------------------

#1 Ooltewah

#4 Campbell Co.

#2 Bearden

#3 Soddy Daisy

Thoughts and opinions are encouraged. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I know nothing about region 1 except for db. Does anyone know anything about Bearden.

They are a prety good team this year not alot of experience but a very good running back. He is only a sophmore but he has some awesome speed and big play potential. Their only two losses this year were earlier in the season by pretty big margins to DB and Farragut (48-10). If they do play Soddy in the first round that will probably be the best matchup between the first round games.

This is tough since I don't know as much about the R1 teams as I should. Would anyone who has seen all the R1 teams care to give a run down of strengths and weaknesses for all of their playoff teams?

Dobyns-Bennett- Undefeated, easily the best team in this region right now. Top to bottom, very solid. Mobile QB, thunder and lightning pair of tailbacks, fast receivers, defense that flies to the ball. I'd be very suprised if they don't make some noise in the postseason this year.

Bearden- Knoxville area teams are pretty good as a whole with the exception of Karns (and they've just had some very bad luck, like science hill of last year). Bearden has a very good tailback, but key on him, and the QB is good enough to make some things happen. The defense is a talented group, and that tailback will be a starting corner for them too.

Science Hill- Much improved from last season, 7-2 with a chance to win the region provided they beat Dobyns-Bennett and Bearden loses this week. Their do it all QB is the main running option, plays FS, returns kicks, and even punts. A few injuries at WR, but a 6'6 jump baller remains. Very solid defense, the scheme is fun to watch, organized chaos.

Campbell County or Sevier County

CC is an option team who, when the offense works, can play with alot of teams. Their RB was leading the league with 981 yds and 14 TDs when they came to Johnson City to play us. Their QB is the coache's son, and he is fundamentally sound with the option, however when they played SH, only attempted 6 passes, and was 0-6, very one dimensional team. Can't play from behind with their offense. They tried and it didn't work. Defense is decent, but isn't the fastest group around. Vulnerable to outside plays, but they can usually hold their own inside the box.

SC is a pretty good team that specializes in throwing. Zac Flynn to Patrick Miller has been a common theme this season and it has worked well for them. The defense is a bit undersized, but they can all play. Miller will be at WR and in the secondary I believe. Hands down, he is their most athletic player, but key on him, and Zac Flynn will find somebody else. Pretty solid team, they scored 4 Tds in a row against us when we were killing them, and turned our blowout into a lucky win for science Hill.

Overall, region 2 is probably a better region top to bottom, but DB and Bearden are the most solid playoff teams coming out of Region 1. Likewise, I don't have enough info on region 2, so what should I expect come playoff time?

Dobyns-Bennett- Undefeated, easily the best team in this region right now. Top to bottom, very solid. Mobile QB, thunder and lightning pair of tailbacks, fast receivers, defense that flies to the ball. I'd be very suprised if they don't make some noise in the postseason this year.

Bearden- Knoxville area teams are pretty good as a whole with the exception of Karns (and they've just had some very bad luck, like science hill of last year). Bearden has a very good tailback, but key on him, and the QB is good enough to make some things happen. The defense is a talented group, and that tailback will be a starting corner for them too.

Science Hill- Much improved from last season, 7-2 with a chance to win the region provided they beat Dobyns-Bennett and Bearden loses this week. Their do it all QB is the main running option, plays FS, returns kicks, and even punts. A few injuries at WR, but a 6'6 jump baller remains. Very solid defense, the scheme is fun to watch, organized chaos.

Campbell County or Sevier County

CC is an option team who, when the offense works, can play with alot of teams. Their RB was leading the league with 981 yds and 14 TDs when they came to Johnson City to play us. Their QB is the coache's son, and he is fundamentally sound with the option, however when they played SH, only attempted 6 passes, and was 0-6, very one dimensional team. Can't play from behind with their offense. They tried and it didn't work. Defense is decent, but isn't the fastest group around. Vulnerable to outside plays, but they can usually hold their own inside the box.

SC is a pretty good team that specializes in throwing. Zac Flynn to Patrick Miller has been a common theme this season and it has worked well for them. The defense is a bit undersized, but they can all play. Miller will be at WR and in the secondary I believe. Hands down, he is their most athletic player, but key on him, and Zac Flynn will find somebody else. Pretty solid team, they scored 4 Tds in a row against us when we were killing them, and turned our blowout into a lucky win for science Hill.

Overall, region 2 is probably a better region top to bottom, but DB and Bearden are the most solid playoff teams coming out of Region 1. Likewise, I don't have enough info on region 2, so what should I expect come playoff time?

Well this is what i have seen but could be wrong.

Ooltewah is prob the 1 seed. They have a great d line. I would say best in the state, at least it looked that way against farragut. I have only seen them one time, will see them again fri. Farragut ran all over soddy but they couldn't move at all against ooltewah. I dont know if they were just having a great game or what but Farragut had no time to do anything. On offense they ran most of the time. I saw there qb throw a few times but he isnt gonna beat a great team by himself. They run the ball to open the pass.

Farragut has good running backs. They have one that is a big guy. Soddy couldn't tackle him. They didnt throw very much against soddy but it was raining the whole time, and they didnt need to. From the few passes i saw he looked good. They have a huge o line. Have trouble stopping the run in a spread offense.

Soddy Daisy has a talented qb and also is great in the skilled positions. The have a fast rb who can run and catch he is also a cb. They also have a real good wr core. Bubba Haney, # 7, is fast. and donovan, # 9, has great hands and is the goto guy. Bubba also is a great returner. Teams give soddy the ball from the 40 before they let him touch the ball. The o line and d line isnt great though. That is what i would say is their downfall.

MC has a pass run treat qb but i dont know much about them.

Farragut has good running backs. They have one that is a big guy. Soddy couldn't tackle him. They didnt throw very much against soddy but it was raining the whole time, and they didnt need to. From the few passes i saw he looked good. They have a huge o line. Have trouble stopping the run in a spread offense.

Even if Science Hill beats Dobyns-Bennett, I don't see Jefferson County beating Bearden, and I think most would agree. Therefore, it looks like the Toppers would be traveling to take on the Admirals. If we have to take on a big back, that could get interesting, because Jefferson County's big fullback got whatever he wanted in the veer when we played them. However, if they have trouble stopping the spread run, we could have something there. What part of Knoxville is Farragut in? A couple of friends and myself will make the journey to watch our boys play down there, but I've never been to Farragut. I know how to get to Bearden, Karns, and Neyland, but I have no idea where Farragut is, to be honest. I would look it up, but I'm willing to bet somebody on here has a faster way of getting there from Johnson City than a website would.

Farragut is in West Knoxville, about 5 miles down Kingston Pike from Bearden. To get there, take I-40 to Campbell Station Rd., take a left on Campbell Station Rd. Entrance is just before Kingston Pike on the left (about 1 or 2 miles from I40) (I believe you can see the light at Kingston Pike just before you see the school entrance).

Ooltewah is prob the 1 seed. They have a great d line. I would say best in the state, at least it looked that way against farragut. I have only seen them one time, will see them again fri. Farragut ran all over soddy but they couldn't move at all against ooltewah. I dont know if they were just having a great game or what but Farragut had no time to do anything. On offense they ran most of the time. I saw there qb throw a few times but he isnt gonna beat a great team by himself. They run the ball to open the pass.

Soddy Daisy has a talented qb and also is great in the skilled positions. The have a fast rb who can run and catch he is also a cb. They also have a real good wr core. Bubba Haney, # 7, is fast. and donovan, # 9, has great hands and is the goto guy. Bubba also is a great returner. Teams give soddy the ball from the 40 before they let him touch the ball. The o line and d line isnt great though. That is what i would say is their downfall.

MC has a pass run treat qb but i dont know much about them.

/quote]

To add just a little from what I have seen so far.

Ooltewah strength is line play by both the O and D lines. I have never seen a group pull as well as our O line did last week against OR. Could have just been a down OR bunch, but our boys were really working well as a group. The whole D has played well together. Everyone talks about the D line and rightfully so, but the LB's have had great discipline and stayed in their assignments so that if (big if) someone get's by the line they are taken down by the LB's. Secondary could have about 10 more picks this year, but overall have played very good. The only true weakness I have seen is that they tend to give up a long punt or kick off returns. At least once or twice a game is seems like we give one up and that bothers me in a close game.

Farragut, I only have seen them against the Owls and I gather that was not their best game. You could tell that if their QB has time he is very accurate. Couple that with a good running game and they could be very dangerous for a long run in the playoffs. Nothing really stood out good or bad about their D.

Soddy Daisey, I havn't seen them yet.

McMinn, I thought they were pretty decent in most aspects of the game, just tended to shoot themselves in the foot. I remember watching their kicker warm up and he has a great leg.

Go Owls