Huntingdon @ USJ

Mustangplayer

Congratulations to Huntingdon. That was an impressive win tonight over a good team. While comparative scores have to be taken with a grain of salt, the USJ team that HHS beat tonight beat Briarcrest worse than Brentwood Academy beat Briarcrest tonight.

For you Huntingdon fans, I'm building a nice collection of historical information for the school (thanks to a HHS grad), including 41 old rosters online. Find a wealth of historical HHS scores and rosters here.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Huntingdon. I don't think anyone was expecting a 500 yard performance from Mr. Holder. He was an animal and my hats off to him. I will say that the Huntingdon's gameplan was superb. Lots of traps and short, backfield reverses kept the Bruins guessing. Can't say enough about the Huntingdon line- they pushed all night. Defensively, Huntingdon set to stop the pass and they did- USJ had four interceptions, two of which were deflections off the intended receiver. In addition, Huntingdon was fired up. This is not an excuse, simply an observation- two way players especially the linemen can get worn down against a team like Huntindon who plays ball control football. There were at least 3 if not 4 4th and 1, 2, and 3 yard plays that Holder busted for a 40 or 50 yard touchdown. That, is demoralizing I don't care who you are. As USJ's last game in D-I ends, let me say that I cannot be more proud of the season they had. 9-2 is not a bad way to go out and they really are a great bunch of kids. They need to hold their heads high and remember this season for what it was- a major turnaround. And to the other teams in West Tennessee, especially region 8-AA, it has been an honor and privilege to see the players, fans and coaches put so much enthusiasm, effort and pride into high school football. No matter who represents this bracket, bring back the gold ball to West Tennessee where it belongs!

congrats huntingdon!! keep it up next week, i think the entire region is pulling for ya now!!! who would think the wildcard for the region would be the last team standing especially after the season's start for the mustangs...congratulations again on the turn around, keep it strong!!! good luck next week

thanks for the qudos redneck, but we weren't the wildcard.

Congrats H'town. Just goes to show that you must be able to run the ball, and play defense. USJ is a good team. Let's not take anything away from them, but you have to be able to run the ball to win games. Not to mention, you must be able to stop the run. I hope H'town gets by JCS next week. If Milan gets by Westview, it would be just like old times. Wait a minute, old times haven't changed. It seems that every year Milan and H'town will meet in the playoffs. I sure hope it happens again.

Congrats H'town. Just goes to show that you must be able to run the ball, and play defense. USJ is a good team. Let's not take anything away from them, but you have to be able to run the ball to win games. Not to mention, you must be able to stop the run. I hope H'town gets by JCS next week. If Milan gets by Westview, it would be just like old times. Wait a minute, old times haven't changed. It seems that every year Milan and H'town will meet in the playoffs. I sure hope it happens again.

Careful what you wish for...

Though Huntindon had Milans number in the playoffs for three years I too would love to see that rematch. Though I do believe the last 5 times we've played twice in a season, 4 of those times the team that won in the reg season lost in the playoffs. Anyway that's puttin the cart before the horse. I fully expect Westview to play much better this time around. They are far too well coached not to. JCS will be a tougher matchup for Huntingdon. But Paul Ward is worth about 2 TDs this time of year. Congrats to USJ 9-2 is nothing to be ashamed of. The underclassmen should get in the weight room monday and prepare for next year. Good luck to them in D2

Though Huntindon had Milans number in the playoffs for three years I too would love to see that rematch. Though I do believe the last 5 times we've played twice in a season, 4 of those times the team that won in the reg season lost in the playoffs. Anyway that's puttin the cart before the horse. I fully expect Westview to play much better this time around. They are far too well coached not to. JCS will be a tougher matchup for Huntingdon. But Paul Ward is worth about 2 TDs this time of year. Congrats to USJ 9-2 is nothing to be ashamed of. The underclassmen should get in the weight room monday and prepare for next year. Good luck to them in D2

Nice post. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Maybe in a few years, depending on what the TSSAA does, we can see some more USJ vs. Milan games!

Great Game! and a Great turn-around for the season, we came in the game already counted out. This shows that you should never count anyone out of any game no matter the odds. Maybe we can keep it going an put Huntingdon back on the map in 2a football. Great job to the O-line, who helped Holder get his record breaking night. Were Not worried about Milan. Were just worried about JCS. Nothing Meant by that, just saying we gotta keep our minds on JCS if we want to advance. Good Luck to everyone.

Guest nwtnsports

USJ by 24.

I got the spread almost right (25) but was wrong on the team.

Congrats to USJ on a great season. I know it's not the way they wanted to end up, but what an outstanding year for the Bruins. They went 9-2 and finished second in a competitive region with one of the state's top quarterbacks and a very talented team. Best of luck to them in Division II next year. I'm thinking they will have lots of success.

Congrats, as well, to Holder and the rest of the Mustangs for a big win.