CAK vs. FRA

BigG

It was a beautiful day for soccer in Chattanooga! In a much anticipated matchup of recent state champions, FRA and CAK took the field to decide the 2008 champion. CAK came out quickly and set the tone by possessing the ball on the FRA end for the majority of the first half. It appeared that CAK's quickness was creating some matchup problems for FRA. CAK did a nice job of running their offense that spread out FRA's defense creating scoring oppotunities. FRA had a few chances as we all waited with great anticiaption for Tory Pitts to do her monster throw-ins. She got a couple of chances early and her throws were good but it did not get in front of the keeper like her throws did in the Notre Dame game. There was a hefty breeze in her face and I think that the field is a little wider (@GPS) than the CCS field. Anyway at the 16:03 mark in the first half Brittany Hoffman who was running the center sent a nice ball to Julie Thompson who then found her sister Mary who hit a beautiful ball that found the back of the net. It was a picture perfect play. There was lots of back and forth but certainly CAK was dominating the field of play. They go into half CAK 1-0. In the second half it was much of the same as FRA could not seem to get their offense in synch. CAK spread the field and played extremely well and passed ball to feet all night long. I maybe wrong but I don't remember a sub for either team (or I was not paying attention). The shot count was 17-5 CAK and sometimes that can be deceiving but not in this case. While the final score was 1-0, CAK took care of business today and dominated a very good FRA team.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the game (didn't get there to half time though). I have to say, I thought that the FRA team that I saw versus ND wasn't out there today. They played well, but didn't seem to have their "game".

You find the coach who can get their team to "show up" every single game, you will have a VERY successful coach, as well as in HIGH demand!

it was the same story for CAK, more depth and to many weapons, controlling tempo and pressuring opponents defense, shut down defense with 3 seniors. CAK pretty much subbed on schedule in the first half, though not so much in the second. FRA maybe didn't have the bench of CAK, but, to their credit, had enough left to go down fighting in the second half. for all the chatter about ND and FRA all week, CAK won because they had the better team.

i said preseason those freshman from 2 years ago had grown up and wanted another one and congrats to them on a great season.

it was the same story for CAK, more depth and to many weapons, controlling tempo and pressuring opponents defense, shut down defense with 3 seniors. CAK pretty much subbed on schedule in the first half, though not so much in the second. FRA maybe didn't have the bench of CAK, but, to their credit, had enough left to go down fighting in the second half. for all the chatter about ND and FRA all week, CAK won because they had the better team.

i said preseason those freshman from 2 years ago had grown up and wanted another one and congrats to them on a great season.

I agree. I just wish they hadn't showed up on Thursday....

Most of you know that I am an FRA partisan and very proud of the program, the girls and I think that they simply do not come any better than Coach McDonald. I did not get to see the FRA/ND game so I can not compare the 2 games. I think the size of the GPS field might have worked against FRA. It is the largest field that they have played on and FRA home games are on the football field, so significatly smaller. With that said, I think the best team won the game today and it would have taken a Herculean effort to change the outcome. I think that given the mostly freshman defense (including the goalie who played very well) and one freshman on defense starting her first game, they did very well to hold CAK to 1 goal. Not sure of the age of the CAK players but they looked older and were much more physical. It was a very good game....and as I said before, I am sorry to see these state rivalries (CAK, CCS, ND, FRA, CPA, DCA) from the last 7 years disappear for FRA as they move to DII. Best of luck and best wishes to the rest...they have all given more to me than I deserve as a dad, fan, and a spectator. Congratulations to CAK and FRA and all the state entries /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />