Private Schools left in football playoffs

supersteve17

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, you are right Red Dog! We can be the first state not only to have a 1.8 but to double it to a 3.6. Heck, those 200 kid privates who don't offer aid should obviously be forced to play at 720...how could anyone have belived that 1.8 was enough?

Stupid Georgia, doing away with the multiplier. I bet the privates down there beat everyone...oh, wait, dang it, wrong again. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

In those classes, 14.4% of the schools (25 of 174) are private. In the playoffs, 18.75% of the remaining schools (9 of 48) are private.

Coach,

Given the margin of error based on sample size those numbers are essentially the same. But given the small sample no percentage really has any meaning as just a team or two difference either way has a HUGE effect.

I was having this discussion last night with a parent. I still contend it is urban vs rural, not public vs private. It is just that almost every small private is urban.

Coach,

Given the margin of error based on sample size those numbers are essentially the same. But given the small sample no percentage really has any meaning as just a team or two difference either way has a HUGE effect.

I was having this discussion last night with a parent. I still contend it is urban vs rural, not public vs private. It is just that almost every small private is urban.

Just putting his numbers in proper perspective. He gives the impression it should be 50/50.

Just putting his numbers in proper perspective. He gives the impression it should be 50/50.

No, actually I was being facetious. I knew the numbers were approximately proportionate as you pointed out. Many people have the erroneous assumption that private schools dominate the football playoffs, which it could be argued they did before the multiplier (depends on one's definition of "dominate"). My point was that at least for this year, they did not "dominate" the first round.

No actually the remaining private schools are staying Just to give the publics something to cry about . I love it. I was at a 2A public private game recently, public school was ahead,and they were so proud of there team, they fell behind and started talking recuiting,and multiplier. they are never satisified.

No, actually I was being facetious. I knew the numbers were approximately proportionate as you pointed out. Many people have the erroneous assumption that private schools dominate the football playoffs, which it could be argued they did before the multiplier (depends on one's definition of "dominate"). My point was that at least for this year, they did not "dominate" the first round.

Your statistics are with the multiplier, no?

Maybe it's just me, but if a proportionate number of private schools are still in the playoffs, then the multiplier would seem to be working. I mean, what would those numbers reflect if the privates played down to their enrollment? Common sense tells me they would increase and the number of privates left in the playoffs would be out of proportion. Hence the multiplier.

I'm going to qualify this to say that I agree with Baldcoach that it's more of an urban/rural division. Open zones, magnet schools et al have similar advantages. I just don't see the point of the thread knowing supersteve is a private supporter. The numbers support the multiplier.

There are only eight private schools of the forty-eight teams left in the Division one playoffs (if I counted correctly). Anybody want to venture a guess as to why this is? I guess maybe the private schools just need to work harder?

Steve: What's going to happen when all privates pull out to form their own TPAA. I have an Idea. This happened in Louisana and the privates pulled out, All the good athletes in public that were division 1 type players were all going private, for the free tuition , and the education, and competition, and getting looks at big colleges. That left the publics with less talented teams. Guess what Louisana is doing now? Back to playing publics. That will happen in tennessee, and they can't see it.