Region 3 3A swept again.

WreckingCrew

Strength of schedule IMO plays a minor role in the reason 3A teams never advance. Lets face it the reason we are talking so much about Central is that they had the athletes to compete with Region 4 this year and last. The only difference in Region 4 teams and Central was discipline no matter how hard it is for some to except it. Polk, Meigs and Notre Dame etc does not have the athletes to compete. I am not saying we don't have one or two but there is no comparison when they have four or five. Polk's fastest kid runs a 4.6 or 4.7. Most of the time we are playing teams that are bigger, faster and stronger. We have great kids no doubt but just not the number of athletes and I mean no disrespect to any of the kids because they work very hard and I think Coach Davis gets the most out of what he has. If you would have asked Coach Davis last spring would you take a 8-2 regular season record I gurantee you he would have said gladly, especially starting a sophomore QB and having lost a starting RB to a broken leg in the spring.

I agree totally Central had a lot of athletes this year. Everyone knew their potential if they could keep the behavior of certain players from destruction of the team. I believe Polk has more than one or two athletes. Polk's consistant athletes this year were the younger players. IMO Polk should be a competitive force the next two years.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a lot of this discussion has been about Central partly because a lot of people thought the team this year had the players to win some in the playoffs, but keep in mind Region 3 has had only 1 win in 4 years against Region 4!! That folks is a 1 -15 record and Central has only had 2 of those losses. Yes, I have agreed that discipline has to improve at Central but the other 13 losses were by teams that have been the pinnacle of disciplined teams! 4 losses by Polk, 3 by Meigs, 2 by Notre Dame, etc. Seems that tallent, (very few players playing at the d-1 level) and schedule strength, along with a mental block about beating Reg. 4, to me are the main reasons for not advancing in the playoffs right now.

Which two losses for ND? 2005 lost to region 2 Livingston and defeated 3 region 4 teams (macon, Pearl Cohn and White House). 2006 lost to White House. 2007 and 08 did not go to playoffs.

Actually, there has been a lot of discussion by me and a few others about one of the reasons why Region 3-3A fails to perform well in the playoffs......lack of quality competition. Brandon echoed those same sentiments in his comments given to the Daily Post-Athenian (posted by me a few posts back in this thread). Another reason is just the sheer quantity of talented, skilled athletes who are faster (possibly bigger and stronger) compared to several teams in Region 4.........and other 3A Region teams. An argument could probably be made that many of those teams are better coached because the teaching/coaching pay is much higher than this area, thus attracting the cream of the crop coaches. I still tend to think it's based more on seasonal competition, plus quantity and quality of athletes.

I haven't looked that close to next years' playoff alignment, and got confused when I did. I hope you, or someone else, have and will examine it further after the TSSAA finalizes these schedules and alignments.....then will share it with us lazy and less intelligent people. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Perhaps teams in this area just need to enjoy the intense rivalries with nearby schools that exist, and not set their expectations so high beyond a Regional Championship? I don't think you'll find more community pride, support and spirit than you'll find in a Polk -vs- Meigs football game, for example. And if the game is at Meigs, you'll be treated like family to some of the best food around! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Well about the size speed and strength thing in the first paragraph atleast 2 of those statements are false. Because McMinn central was definatley bigger and faster than DeKalb. Stronger well idk because those boys work hard in the weight room. So i just thought i would put that out there because on paper McMinn was definatly supposed to win.

I continue to read on this thread of region3 teams lacking the number of athletes to defeat teams from region4, and I totally agree. We all thought Central would have the athletes to win a least 1 round. Maybe Central was not that athletic, its just that the rest of us are that bad. As 6+4+3=2 alluded to earlier, Polk had 1 kid who ran 4.6 to 4.7. I doubt Meigs had any and we played Region3 teams who were slower than us. Its easy to look fast when everyone else is so slow.

Now couple the lack of atheletes with no middle school programs and you see the end results. IMO we will never see middle school programs in our area because of a lack of funding.

Come on oldschoolcharger it hasnt been that long since we been to the playoffs. oh how soon we forget. lol

I continue to read on this thread of region3 teams lacking the number of athletes to defeat teams from region4, and I totally agree. We all thought Central would have the athletes to win a least 1 round. Maybe Central was not that athletic, its just that the rest of us are that bad. As 6+4+3=2 alluded to earlier, Polk had 1 kid who ran 4.6 to 4.7. I doubt Meigs had any and we played Region3 teams who were slower than us. Its easy to look fast when everyone else is so slow.

Now couple the lack of atheletes with no middle school programs and you see the end results. IMO we will never see middle school programs in our area because of a lack of funding.

Come on oldschoolcharger it hasnt been that long since we been to the playoffs. oh how soon we forget. lol

If you will read my post again I had you guys down for 3 trips in the last 4 years. I haven't forgot that string of losses we suffered through!! LOL, I don't know about the rest of you folks but we WERE that bad for a good while.

Well about the size speed and strength thing in the first paragraph atleast 2 of those statements are false. Because McMinn central was definatley bigger and faster than DeKalb. Stronger well idk because those boys work hard in the weight room. So i just thought i would put that out there because on paper McMinn was definatly supposed to win.

I assume you mean by "on paper" that because Central was the #2 team from region 3, and Dekalb was the #3 team from region 4? How would that have meant Central should win, since the last #4 teams from region 4 have beat our #1 team from region 3 the last 3-4 years? I did think Central would win, but with a most cautious optimism based on what I've witnessed the last several years when these two regions meet in the playoffs. Plus, someone from Greenbrier warned that they thought Dekalb was playing the best football in region 4, and was the team they would hate to face if they were coaching in region 3. Sure, that was just his opinion, but the guy has pretty much been spot-on in previous posts, so he had my attention. And, by the way, he made that assessment BEFORE the last game of the regular season for the teams from both regions, meaning that it's not an excuse I'm trying to fabricate.

Central was outplayed and outcoached in that game - plain and simple.....and the best prepared, more focused and disciplined team won last Friday. Central's 11 penalties for well over a 100 yards was a contributing factor, BUT that's mainly due to being undisciplined, so no excuse from me about the huge difference in penalties assessed for each team.

Central was bigger, I agree, but I'm not sure about being stronger. And speed is only good if it's used properly. Sometimes a better coached team can offset much of the speed differential if their players execute what they're coached.

If I am not mistaken the fastest kid for Polk was the QB as far as straight speed and you don't want him running the ball much because of the injury factor, this is why he played FS on defense as well.

I agree totally Central had a lot of athletes this year. Everyone knew their potential if they could keep the behavior of certain players from destruction of the team. I believe Polk has more than one or two athletes. Polk's consistant athletes this year were the younger players. IMO Polk should be a competitive force the next two years.

Sure Polk has some kids that are great at their skilled position but as far as all around athletes that can play anywhere no they don't! Yes the young kids done a great job this year and hopefully they will improve and be something special the next couple of years.

Strength of schedule IMO plays a minor role in the reason 3A teams never advance. Lets face it the reason we are talking so much about Central is that they had the athletes to compete with Region 4 this year and last. The only difference in Region 4 teams and Central was discipline no matter how hard it is for some to except it. Polk, Meigs and Notre Dame etc does not have the athletes to compete. I am not saying we don't have one or two but there is no comparison when they have four or five. Polk's fastest kid runs a 4.6 or 4.7. Most of the time we are playing teams that are bigger, faster and stronger. We have great kids no doubt but just not the number of athletes and I mean no disrespect to any of the kids because they work very hard and I think Coach Davis gets the most out of what he has. If you would have asked Coach Davis last spring would you take a 8-2 regular season record I gurantee you he would have said gladly, especially starting a sophomore QB and having lost a starting RB to a broken leg in the spring.

While I agree with you about discipline being an issue, I still contend that if you're never really contested by a quality team during the season, you'll have that false sense of believing you can compete with anyone. Backpatting and assurance from family and people in the community that you're great and invincible can be detrimental to what the coaches are trying to convey to the players. Don't get me wrong, I do believe in congratulating the players for a job well done.....but there were many people up this way constantly telling the players they would be playing for the state championship. After the preseason scrimmages I saw the potential for this years Central team to win 2-3 games in the playoffs, but ONLY if they improved each week and became more disciplined in carrying out their assignments. And from watching a few 3A state championship games, I felt that Central wasn't anywhere near the league of these teams......for many reasons I don't need to elaborate on. So, yes, I do feel that strength of schedule plays more than a minor role.

Now, back to the discipline. I had noted some discipline issues due to the number of penalties Central was committing earlier in the season. I even commented on this to Brandon as a concern when he had asked me if I had been at a certain game. I don't profess to know it all and I don't constantly try to tell Brandon what to do......but I told him I felt that these silly penalties were from lack of discipline and would bite him big time somewhere along the way. He agreed, but said he felt that they were improving with each week in this area and it was too early in the season to be a major concern. Well, although I didn't say anything else, I thought he wasn't addressing the issue enough with his assistant coaches and players. I think he, too, felt they could overcome their mistakes by being the better team than their competition......thus, things would work themselves out (this is my opinion, and I'm not stating it as fact). Honestly, I felt like this mindset would only cause things to regress....based primarily on what I have witnessed for many years in playing, coaching, refereeing, and watching football at several levels. If you read his comments in the paper, Brandon even alluded to how sloppy and undisciplined his team had played in the big games this season they had lost. In my opinion, it's something you should notice more in practice and even in early blowout victories.

I know this isn't just a thread attributed to Central, but I'm glad to see that Brandon is going to totally re-evaluate the entire program this off-season. Perhaps he'll seek and get some outside input from some knowledgeable people and he'll become an even better coach than he is.

I agree that for the most part Coach Davis gets about all he can with what he has. With the exception of some terrible offensive playcalling against Central, his team did all he asked of them in that game.....and obviously they dug down and gave him even more in the playoff loss.