Region 3 3A swept again.

WreckingCrew

An argument could probably be made that many of those teams are better coached because the teaching/coaching pay is much higher than this area, thus attracting the cream of the crop coaches. I still tend to think it's based more on seasonal competition, plus quantity and quality of athletes quote]

Polk has two maybe three paid assistants thats it, when I say paid I say as in very little.

I think the latter in your post is the number one reason not the coaches!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am not mistaken the fastest kid for Polk was the QB as far as straight speed and you don't want him running the ball much because of the injury factor, this is why he played FS on defense as well.

Sure Polk has some kids that are great at their skilled position but as far as all around athletes that can play anywhere no they don't! Yes the young kids done a great job this year and hopefully they will improve and be something special the next couple of years.

I know of several all around athletes on the Polk team. Michael Hargrove, Tyler Lee, Jared Allen, and Chase Christian are the first four that come to mind. I know you could play these boys on either side of the ball and they would perform. Michael Hargrove, Jared Allen and Tyler Lee were standouts this year.

I agree that for the most part Coach Davis gets about all he can with what he has. With the exception of some terrible offensive playcalling against Central, his team did all he asked of them in that game.....and obviously they dug down and gave him even more in the playoff loss.

Coach Davis does a outstanding job on defense but the O coordinator IMO is clueless sometimes but I respect Coach Davis for giving his coordinator the reins and trying to let him do his job but.............Play calling has been an issue in more than one game this year. Example; 3rd and about 1/2 yard we run a toss sweep instead of pounding it up the middle this happened twice in this particular game (Sequoyah)on consecutive drives if I am not mistaken. In that game our RB was getting about four or five yds per carry up the middle. Go figure! /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

Polk has two maybe three paid assistants thats it, when I say paid I say as in very little.

I'm sure that like most teams in this area, the coaching supplement sure isn't worth it if you based it on dollars for the actual time invested. A couple of decades ago I was in a booster club that directly assisted the coaches with some money, but I understand that these clubs aren't supposed to give money directly to the coaches any more and things are regulated through the school now. Anyone know?

Does Larry coach for free at Polk?

Benny Monroe made a mint in the early to mid 90's coaching at Cleveland. Not just in actual cash, but also with many other benefits - on top of the best-paying coaching supplement around here.

I know of several all around athletes on the Polk team. Michael Hargrove, Tyler Lee, Jared Allen, and Chase Christian are the first four that come to mind. I know you could play these boys on either side of the ball and they would perform. Michael Hargrove, Jared Allen and Tyler Lee were standouts this year.

My definition of all around great athlete must be different than yours. I agree these four have done outstanding but can you take all four of them and play them in other key positions that may require more skill? For instance could Hargrove play QB or DB, could Christian play on the O line and be successful? Maybe but I seriously doubt it. However, I wouldn't trade them for anyone. Great bunch of kids and let me say Chase really done a good job this year considering he was on the fence a couple of times last year.

I'm sure that like most teams in this area, the coaching supplement sure isn't worth it if you based it on dollars for the actual time invested. A couple of decades ago I was in a booster club that directly assisted the coaches with some money, but I understand that these clubs aren't supposed to give money directly to the coaches any more and things are regulated through the school now. Anyone know?

Does Larry coach for free at Polk?

Yes I believe he does.

My definition of all around great athlete must be different than yours. I agree these four have done outstanding but can you take all four of them and play them in other key positions that may require more skill? For instance could Hargrove play QB or DB, could Christian play on the O line and be successful? Maybe but I seriously doubt it. However, I wouldn't trade them for anyone. Great bunch of kids and let me say Chase really done a good job this year considering he was on the fence a couple of times last year.

I do believe that these four could be put in skill positions and perform very well. I do believe that these athletes, for instance Hargrove IMO would be a Very affective TE. Time will only tell how these players will improve. I do believe Allen and Hargrove have repeatedly been in the paper for football (Times Free Press for Punting and Leading Tackles for A loss). I do believe these are all very aggressive athletes who strive to improve themselves as well as their teams.

Does anyone know the coaching supplements for coaches in Region -3AAA?

I don't, but since it's a matter of public information you should be able to consult with your local Super to find out. If I'm not mistaken, McMinn County froze the supplement amount over 20 years ago and haven't lifted the freeze yet. I think it's only increased by whatever raise they give teachers - say 3% each year? I was told from someone on the McMinn School Board at one time about 15 years ago that John Mullinax (former McMinn County coach) had the lowest supplement in the region he was coaching.

If I am not mistaken the fastest kid for Polk was the QB as far as straight speed and you don't want him running the ball much because of the injury factor, this is why he played FS on defense as well.

Sure Polk has some kids that are great at their skilled position but as far as all around athletes that can play anywhere no they don't! Yes the young kids done a great job this year and hopefully they will improve and be something special the next couple of years.

You know them better than me but I would be surprised if the QB was faster than 22 from what I saw at the Meigs game. 22 looked more athletic, IMO. What # are the other 2 kids your talking about?

Thats my point exactly, other teams across the state have more athletes per team than our region. Its hard for me to get in the coaching part because its hard to judge a coach after seeing him for 1 game. IMO other teams not only have more athletes but "football players" not just kids that play football.