Need info from Red Bank

mrsoddydaisy

My info is that Clark Jackson is not playing this year. Also, Shaun Mosby has moved with his mom to Atlanta.

All indications are that this is the year for Ooltewah, Soddy Daisy, Hixson, et. al., to take out some longtime frustrations against the Lions. This has nothing (or little) to do with the absence of Jackson, Mosby or Tom Weathers. The handwriting has been on the wall for the last two seasons. The overall talent is down. The ninth and tenth grade classes are solid, but you can't compete versus Red Bank's schedule with ninth and tenth graders.

I believe that Tim Daniels will do a good job, but he is going to have a rough start for at least one season.

Posted by MaryvilleRebels:

Red Bank actually had other players other than Riggs? Hmm...well if we would have known that we might not have hated you guys so much! If our paper wouldn't have done a huge article on him and put his picture on the front page we might have been a little less agressive, but we didn't know and our paper did that so..sorry!

What's up with this assanine statement? Your team was awesome. Red Bank coach Tom Weathers (now at Dade County GA) said they were probably better than any team Red Bank had played during its 5A state championship run in 2000.

There is no doubt you did a great job on Riggs last year. I also believe that there is no doubt that Gerald Riggs has bigger fish to fry than the Maryville Rebels. Was it his fault that your paper wanted to do a front page article on him? It would have been much easier to refuse to talk to the Maryville paper. In fact, most high school coaches would not have allowed him to have done so. It is a testament to his talent that a team that was bidding to win back-to-back state championships was overshadowed in its hometown newspaper by an opposing running back.

Maryville is the odds-on favorite to win its third straight state crown. Anything less than this would be a major disappointment with the players you have coming back. Good luck to MHS in 2002. But please, don't re-hash old news.

i agree supersteve. being a player of riggs caliber brings pressure and constant expectations. i did not see red bank play in 2000, but having seen the maryville game last year i have to assume that many of the offensive linemen from that championship team may have graduated. don't get me wrong i am a maryville supporter and they did an outstanding job that night. but following red bank last season they did not appear as dominant as they did the year before in 5A. riggs is a great athlete and ut was fortunate to get him. i have told people all along that he might seriously challenge for playing time this year and the scrimmage results seem to bear that out. i was impressed at the way my team (maryville) responded to the front page story in our paper. but i was equally impressed with the fact that riggs was willing to do it with the candidness he did it with. football is a team sport, and while it is great to be a super star it can also be frustrating when an enrie team expects you to carry them on your shoulders. i am sure riggs did not call our paper and request the story. and if he had refused it then he would have gotten a bad rap for that as well. i thought he carried his noteriety pretty well last year considering all the exposure he got.