Oneida Boys Basketball

kazam37

Of course, the minds of Oneida Fans are on the Football team and this week's match-up with Trousdale Co, but in a round ball note the basketball season began last night for the Indians. Oneida, playing with a depleated line-up looked, for the most part, pretty solid last night. York is 1-2, but they have long held a solid reputation in basketball. Oneida had a Freshman (Wright) in the post last night, and only four kids on the bench, yet got an early lead and rode it to the finish. Coach Yaden has had all of about a month and a half to come up with a workable system for these kids and I thought they were very disciplined in accomplishing the win last night. I have thought all along that he is very capable if given the reins to a team that fits his personnality, and it looks like he might have that right off the bat! You can't underestimate the impact his two seasoned players (Jeffers and Laxton) had on last night's win. Jeffers supplied points and poise....Laxton did a great job influencing the outcome with his passing and board work. I think the team will have some better parts when they have a full compiment of players, but the youngin's did a very good job with their minutes in the first ball game. December and January will be vital months to determine how this team will do, but if the players that join them later show the same discipline, then Oneida may have a good season in store for it's fans! Anyone else come away as impressed as me?

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Kaz-a-Shaq /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also was impressed with how his team performed. After reading how few players he had available I really did not expect a win, but I don't think we should underestimate the ability of Coach Yaden to get the most out of whatever he has to work with. I agree if the players that join them later show the same discipline and attitude that was shown last night, it should be an exciting year for this team and the fans!

I was at the game last night and I was very pleased with the Indians, they seem to play with a lot of energy, they seemed to play hard on D and were very unselfish. Jeffers played outstanding and really took it upon himself to be a leader,Laxton only scored a few but was responsible for a lot of the buckets that his teammates made and really was big in getting the ball up the floor against the press, Wright a freshman I believe, had some big moments and has a very bright future for this team, #5 Newport? a newcomer to this team seems to be a excellent defender and had quite a few boards for a small guard and seemed to be a very steady performer. With this group of players Oneida could be as deep as 10 players after football is over. Can't wait to see what they will be like later on. If the other players come in and adapt to watch Coach Yaden is teaching this will be a great bunch to watch.

So......what did last night look like? I wasn't there and was just curious how the team meshed with the added players? Hope they come together and find some good pieces. Was CC good? Help a fella out!

Kaz /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

So......what did last night look like? I wasn't there and was just curious how the team meshed with the added players? Hope they come together and find some good pieces. Was CC good? Help a fella out!

Kaz /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I don't know alot about basketball , but I will give you my opinion on what I saw.

First game against York looked good , we played everyone but york didn't look very good this year.

second game , campbell co. was a better team. WE made them look even better. The big thing was we worked our football players in with very little practice.You could still pick out some good things but as a whole we didn't look good.

third game ,coalfield looks young with very little depth. Oneida pretty much dominated.Team as a whole looked better. almost every player for Oneida scored.Laxton stood out .

Keep in mind I don't know much about basketball. I think we have enough depth to devide this team into two teams and still be competitive. I don't know the Yaden brothers but so far I like what I see. they seem to push the defence .We have alot of shooters on the team. I would like to see a more agressive offence. We don't seem to be as good at rebounding as i expected. This will probably improve with a little more time.

I agree with everyone who says the practice we can get during the xmas break will help alot. The team will come together as one. Anytime you switch coaches it takes a little time to come together . then we got our football players in late . All and All I see this team being very good. We just have to be patient.

looks like coach yaden is doing a great job so far.

I don't agree much with this statement. As a coach you want to put the best 5 on the court; however, Coach Yaden seems to not care about who the best are. Which in turn has cost the team greatly over the course of the past couple of games. I'm not saying that he doesn't know what he's doing, but it seems to me that he's more worried about who's who instead of who's good. Maybe it's just me, but when I see players such as: Torrey Slaven, Dylan West,

Johnathan Lewallen, Braxton Hutson, Mark Miller, and others whom of which I know contributed a lot to last year's team sitting on the bench, it disheartens me. I don't see why a coach wouldn't want to do everything in his power to win. Yes, I'm aware that most of the boys have been caught up in football but honestly they had absolutely no power over the situation. The others may have had a month head-start on the football boys, but I honestly don't think it made a difference. No disrespect towards the Laxton and the Jeffers boy, they are outstanding players. I've been to every game for the past two years and I've seen what these boys can do. Coach Yaden just doesn't seem to want to face the facts and see how good they and has brought the team down tremendously. Everyone talks about how there's no discipline, but what do you expect from a coach who has had very little if any coaching experience on this level. Why would you throw someone into a situation where they have little experience and give them assistants that are barely able to be called assistants. Oneida is capable of a lot more than what has been shown. Coach Yaden is a good coach, he's a great coach on middle school level, but I guess it'll just be stated that I'm blowing smoke cause I'm mad cause MY kid doesn't get to play. Well I don't have a kid or any relation within this mess. I'm just a basketball fan who calls it like they see it.