krichunaka

1) Unicoi County

2) Elizabethton

3) Cloudland

4) Happy Valley

5) Hampton

6) Unaka

7) Johnson County

The Lady Blue Devils are young, hard-working, well-coached.

They get the nod for number one over Elizabethton based on the

common opponent, Sullivan Central, a two-point winner over the Lady

Cyclones; then a double-digit loser to the Lady Blue Devils.

Elizabethton schooled Cloudland just eight days ago, then went two for

three at Happy Valley. With Mariah Pietrowski in the paint, the Lady

Cyclones have a player who can dominate a game both offensively

and defensively.

Cloudland got off to a rough start with a very unimpressive performance

against the Lady Cyclones. The loss to Morristown West, played to a 22-22

half-time tie, was a big improvement, before the blazing pace, and Lady Trojans'

depth ultimately wore the Lady Highlanders down. Saturday's lop-sided win over

Happy Valley is more indicative of what we expect to see in the coming months.

Happy Valley has very talented guards, but the inconsistency in getting the

ball into the paint needs fixing. Summer Ward had a super game against Volunteer,

and she will have to see the ball more to provide the Lady Warriors with the necessary

balance to compete with the best-in-conference. Courtney Byers found the range

against the Lady Falcons. She can be a game-changer.

Hampton lost twice in Afton. But the Lady Bulldogs' biggest loss isn't in the scorebook:

Chelsea Weddle was injured and could be lost for several weeks, removing Hampton's

primary post threat.

Unaka's 0-and-4 start is discouraging enough. Now we must add Chelsea Anderson's possible

season-ending injury (more as we learn more) to the calamity. Next up, Monday evening's

visit from former Creeker, Dawn Lowe, and her perennial state championship contending Lady

Mountaineers of Mitchell County, North Carolina.

Johnson County is the other 0-for-4 starter. However, the Lady Longhorns lost to Sullivan East

by only three; and this, after leading for most of the contest. Coach Stacey Reece has her team

playing better, making Tuesday's meeting in Snavely Gym a most-difficult challenge for the

home-standing Lady Rangers.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had a chance to see every team play at least twice. Here is what I see for the rankings:

1. Elizabethton- (Pietrowski and Jefferson are the best post pair in the seven and the guards are coming on)

2. Cloudland- (Losses are to Elizabethton and Morristown West, drilled Happy Valley on Warrior's court)

3. Unicoi Co.- (Coming on strong and may push Elizabethton and South Greene for a District title)

4. Hampton- (If Weddle is out for long they will drop)

5. Happy Valley- (Bad loss to Cloudland, Ward needs help inside. I can't see a District title right now.)

6. Unaka- (Injuries really piling up. Need to beat Johnson County to stop the slide.)

7. Johnson Co.- (A little better and I like Campbell, but I don't see them moving out of the seven slot.)

Krich,

I can see you ranking Unicoi Co. number one based on their wins over Central and Boone by wider margins than Elizabethton. The main difference was Unicoi Co. played man-to-man and Elizabethton played zone. I still think Unicoi Co. will have a hard time matching Elizabethton's post power.

I don't disagree with your assessments, and, Elizabethton would be favored in a matchup with the Lady Blue Devils.

However, this is a "Weekly," and last week, both teams played a common opponent. Unicoi County took care of business. Elizabethton didn't.

I also agree with your post evaluation. Winters and Lowe can get there, but as you put it, the "slide" must stop, and soon.

1. Elizabethton-they do have a former lady Highlander. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

2. Cloudland-if these girls can play every game to their potential, they'll go to state.

3. Unicoi Co. - can they challenge Elizabethton?

4. Happy Valley- think they are a little better than Hampton.

5. Hampton- losing Weddle is critical

6. Johnson Co. I smell an upset of Unaka Tuesday! /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" />

7. Unaka- losing such a great coach will put them right here. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

P.S. Looks like my little girl, Savannah is gonna be a south paw. The old King is already working on her hook shot. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

It always does with South Greene and the refs let them get away with it down there. It is unfortunate that it may have led to the injury of a good kid.

It also led to the ouster of the head coach. He is still sitting out the two game suspension. Anyone that was at that game knows what a travesty the officiating was and what a joke the referee was who ejected the coach. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL on the officials part. Kid is hurt, coach suffers and has to pay and the official gets off scott free.

I don't disagree with your assessments, and, Elizabethton would be favored in a matchup with the Lady Blue Devils.

However, this is a "Weekly," and last week, both teams played a common opponent. Unicoi County took care of business. Elizabethton didn't.

I also agree with your post evaluation. Winters and Lowe can get there, but as you put it, the "slide" must stop, and soon.

You know I never do a true weekly assessment, unless the teams in the seven play head to head. I just look at what I see each week and rank them based on which teams I think are best. Elizabethton did beat Cloudland and I think they will beat Unicoi Co. based on matchups, not their comparative results against a good Central team. I also believe there is some separation between the top three and the rest. I might have included Hampton with that top group, but not until Weddle returns. Happy Valley has some work to do and fortunately they have time to get it done.

I understand why Coach Tolley was ejected. Sometimes that is what it takes to make a point and protect your kids.

I myself couldn't be prouder of Coach Tolley. He was taking up for his girls. I don't see how he took it as long as he did but the official should be penalized too for his out of control behavior. Must have wanted to make himself look good or maybe he was feeling a little guilty about something. Whatever, it is history now.