Tri-County Seven

krichunaka

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I never do a true weekly assessment, unless the teams in the seven play head to head. I just look at what I see each week and rank them based on which teams I think are best. Elizabethton did beat Cloudland and I think they will beat Unicoi Co. based on matchups, not their comparative results against a good Central team. I also believe there is some separation between the top three and the rest. I might have included Hampton with that top group, but not until Weddle returns. Happy Valley has some work to do and fortunately they have time to get it done.

But again, this is a WEEKLY!

If you want a season's-end prognostication, then yes, I put the Lady Cyclones at more

than even odds to be in the District and Regional championship games. They have a potentially

dominant center. No other Seven team has that. If your guard play stays consistent; if Jasmine

continues to play top-flight ball; and if there are no more injuries, then there's no reason to doubt

that potential.

However, this is NOT about potential; this is the here and now.

Your Lady Cyclones played Central, and though you surmise that they didn't guard the

three-ball very well, it's only fair to point out that Unicoi County obviously did. Either

way, ultimately, the Lady Blue Devils played better than the Lady Cyclones.

Last Week.

We all agreed last season that you have a very good coach. So, should we blame him, or are we

going to salute Coach Fisher for being a little-better prepared? Or would you say a combination of

both? Perhaps playing the Lady Cougars after watching them shoot down Elizabethton was a huge

advantage for Unicoi County? Just askin'

Bottom line: You're going to find, or create, justification for putting Elizabethton - - - at the top.

No matter what. But this isn't about proving your loyalty to your team. This is about winning and

losing.

Last Week.

Come on, say it: UNICOI COUNTY IS NUMBER ONE! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I'll put Unicoi Co. #1 if they beat Elizabethton. Coach Fisher always plays his tough sagging man-to-man. It exposed Central's lack of a true inside post game and took away the three ball, thus the Cougars could not score. I think Coach Dugger is working on his zone and just chose not to play man against Central. Elizabethton did score 59 points, even though they lost. Tonight they switched up defenses, shut down Murr until garbage time in the fourth quarter, and put up 75 points in a complete dismantling of Crockett. I don't think any other team in the seven could beat Crockett 75-47. Pietrowski and Jefferson dominated inside, but more importantly the Cyclone guards were awesome. Powell had 14 assists and hit a three. Kiser and Bowling both shot well from the outside. The Lady Cyclones are playing well now, but still have lots of room to improve and I think they will. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!!

unicoi beat hampton tonight. not sure of the final, but was around a 10 point win. weddle didn't play though. /motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" />

And it' gets worse for the Lady Bulldogs:

Mollie McQueen was injured. Don't know the severity of

the injury, but suffice it to say, this puts the Lady Bulldogs

in dire need in the paint.

And the rash of injuries continues:

Not only did Coach Stacey Reece lose in overtime at Unaka, one of her best

players was injured. Probably not season-ending, but it was a bloody fall to the

floor. Again, we'll provide details after we verify.

Meanwhile, congratulations to the Lady Rangers, now sitting at one-and-four.

And, as we understand it, Mitchell County's game at Unaka, cancelled Monday,

will be played this Thursday. Which is fine; however, Mitchell County was

scheduled to host Cloudland Thursday.

There's really no way to put a positive spin on this one. Obviously Mitchell County's

coach, Dawn Lowe, was well-aware of her scheduled game with Cloudland, yet she

opted out. It's difficult to believe that a make-up date couldn't have been set

without cancelling Cloudland so close to game time. Of course, Coach Lowe has ties

to The Creek, but this change in plans is bad on two fronts: A home game for her players

and fans is postponed, and could be cancelled; and Cloudland loses a scheduled game,

only two days before it was to be played.

I'll put Unicoi Co. #1 if they beat Elizabethton. Coach Fisher always plays his tough sagging man-to-man. It exposed Central's lack of a true inside post game and took away the three ball, thus the Cougars could not score. I think Coach Dugger is working on his zone and just chose not to play man against Central. Elizabethton did score 59 points, even though they lost. Tonight they switched up defenses, shut down Murr until garbage time in the fourth quarter, and put up 75 points in a complete dismantling of Crockett. I don't think any other team in the seven could beat Crockett 75-47. Pietrowski and Jefferson dominated inside, but more importantly the Cyclone guards were awesome. Powell had 14 assists and hit a three. Kiser and Bowling both shot well from the outside. The Lady Cyclones are playing well now, but still have lots of room to improve and I think they will. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!!

You might put Unicoi County at number one ...at gunpoint. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

But thanks for spelling out your logic: Unicoi County played defense.

Elizabethton is experimenting. Forgive me, 17, but that's a rather silly

explanation.

And again, while discussing the Davy Crockett game, you're talking

about This Week. The ratings, as presented every week, are based solely

on what occured the week previous.

Using your logic we could simply do a "Yearly." And miss out on all this fun.

Say, you haven't been talking to that Ohio State feller again, have you?

And the rash of injuries continues:

Not only did Coach Stacey Reece lose in overtime at Unaka, one of her best

players was injured. Probably not season-ending, but it was a bloody fall to the

floor. Again, we'll provide details after we verify.

Meanwhile, congratulations to the Lady Rangers, now sitting at one-and-four.

And, as we understand it, Mitchell County's game at Unaka, cancelled Monday,

will be played this Thursday. Which is fine; however, Mitchell County was

scheduled to host Cloudland Thursday.

There's really no way to put a positive spin on this one. Obviously Mitchell County's

coach, Dawn Lowe, was well-aware of her scheduled game with Cloudland, yet she

opted out. It's difficult to believe that a make-up date couldn't have been set

without cancelling Cloudland so close to game time. Of course, Coach Lowe has ties

to The Creek, but this change in plans is bad on two fronts: A home game for her players

and fans is postponed, and could be cancelled; and Cloudland loses a scheduled game,

only two days before it was to be played.

GOOD JOB Lady Rangers on your win, even more so on how you did it!!!!!

It is impossible to tell how how teams are by just looking at a common opponent. We aren't taking into account the officiating (not saying either game was badly officiated) and we are not taking into account the mindsets of the girls on a particular night.

I do, however, think the Lady Devils are probably a better team at the moment. I don't believe either team will beat South Greene. Especially if there happens to be an officiating debacle like is described on here.

GO CYCLONES!!

Krich and imavol10,

I may talk to the Ohio State feller, but you have both been swilling the Unicoi Co. kool-ade. They only beat a Weddless Hampton by ten last night on their home floor. Weddle probably causes a 20 point swing in the result if she plays. Talking about common opponents, Elizabethton and Unicoi have three already. Both teams beat Boone by about the same margin. Central beat Betsy by two and Unicoi Co. beat Central by about five. Both of those games were in doubt until late in the fourth quarter. Unicoi has beaten Volunteer twice, though it was fairly close both times. Elizabethton crushed Volunteer. Elizabethton has shown glimpses of their potential in a solid dissection of Cloudland and a complete dismantling of Crockett. I think both teams can play with South Greene, who was blasted by 27 against Morristown West last night. Remember, Cloudland was tied with West at the half, before the bigger and stronger Lady Trojans wore them down in the second half. It will be a fun season, but I am a Cyclone "homer" to the end! Go Cyclones!!!!!!!

1. Elizabethton-Too much fire power, Dugger has them headed in the right direction.

2. Unicoi- Fisher alone keeps them in the top.

3. Cloudland- Senior leadership, but not as good or deep as past Highlander teams

4. Hampton- When Weddle returns this team may be the best in their conference.

5. HappyValley- Still needs to prove themselves to break into the top tier.

6 Unaka- Still shakey, Pat Summit would have trouble right now. X coach isnt helping the situation>

7. Johnson County- Needs to beat one of the others to gain any consideration.

Definite seperation between the top 4 and the bottom 3.

Three games in seventy-two hours, and this early in the season, most often

results in upsets, letdowns, inconsistency. Case in point, Happy Valley.

This early we use common opponents, margins of victory, game locations,

injuries, etc., to determine where we see each team. Now. Of course, "17"

simply dons his Bright Orange glasses, but he's an otherwise good guy.

In spite of the deceptive margin-of-loss against Cloudland, Happy Valley can,

and probably will defeat most every Seven team they play. In fact, I give them

at least an even shot when they host Unicoi County this Friday.

In other words, I don't see the noted seperation from four to five, or for that

matter, on through six. Nor, am I giving up on Johnson County. Coach Reece

has sprung several surprises in recent seasons; just ask Unicoi County.

Our little Seven poll is obviously fun-and-fan-based. Most of the participants know

each other quite well; and thus, we poke a little (or in "17"s case, a LOT) of fun

back and forth. At the end of the day, it's all in good fun, and meant ONLY to bring

positive attention to our area's marvelous student-athletes, something that the

local media has neither the time or personnel to do to our liking. Thanks to our

very gracious and welcoming coaches, we've had the opportunity to get to know them,

and to a lesser extent, the players.

Criticizing the coaches is fair. They knew the potential when they applied for, and

got their jobs. Criticizing "team" effort or performance is okay as well, but only

to the extent that, we're respectful of the players as the fine people they are.

There was a "Unaka Coach" thread, began a couple months back, where several of

us took the opportunity to opine, either in the positive, negative, our just out of

natural curiosity. Some of us felt strongly, and so stated, that we felt that the forced

resignation was badly-timed, and poorly handled. That's our right, as it is also the right

of those with opposing views.

That thread ran it's natural course, and everyone who cared, had (and still has) the

privilege to make his/her opinions known.

This is not that thread. To continue to take parting-shots at the ex-coach, while it

might be okay where properly designated, does nothing to further the betterment of the

players, is irrelevant, tactless, and uncalled for here.

Three games in seventy-two hours, and this early in the season, most often

results in upsets, letdowns, inconsistency. Case in point, Happy Valley.

This early we use common opponent, margins of victory, game locations,

injuries, etc., to determine where we see each team. Now. Of course, "17"

simply dons his Bright Orange glasses, but he's an otherwise good guy.

In spite of the deceptive margin-of-loss against Cloudland, Happy Valley can,

and probably defeat every Seven team they play. In fact, I give them at least

and even shot when the host Unicoi County this Friday.

In other words, I don't see the noted seperation from four to five, or for that

matter, on through six. Nor, am I giving up on Johnson County. Coach Reece

has sprung several surprised in recent seasons; ask Unico County.

Our little Seven poll is obviously fun-and-fan-based. Most of the participants know

each other quite well; and thus, we poke a little (or in "17"s case, a LOT) of fun at

back and forth. At the end of the day, it's all in good fun, and meant ONLY to bring

positive attention to our area's marvelous student-athletes, something that the

local media has neither the time or personnel to do to our liking. Thanks to our

very gracious and welcoming coaches, we've had the opportunity to get the them,

and to a lesser extent, the players.

Criticizing the coaches is fair. They knew the potential when the applied for, and

got their jobs. Critizing "team" effort or performance is okay, as well, but only

to the extent that, we're respectful of the players as the fine people they are.

There was a "Unaka Coach" thread, began a couple months back, where several of

us took the opportunity to opine, either in the positive, negative, our just out of

natural curiosity. Some of us felt strongly, and so stated, that we felt that the forced

resignation was badly-timed, and poorly handled. That's our right, as it is also the right

those with opposing views.

That thread ran it's natural course, and everyone who cared, had (and still has) the

privilege to make his/her opinions known.

This is not that thread. To continue to take parting-shots at the ex-coach, while it

might be okay where properly designated, does nothing to further the betterment of the

players, is irrelevant, tactless, and uncalled for here.

You are exactly right krich, support those girls and stop being part of the problem. So I will exit your little forum, saying go Cyclones. Unbiased, obvioulsy is determined by u krich, and that was not a parting-shot, it was a basketball observation. Coach Wright has enough, with out the added pressures that are being put into place by people who say they are in it for the kids.