Best Lewis Co. Teams

LCHSchick

I have been around since 1974 with a hiatus from 1993-99. I didn't get to see the 1995 team which was by all accounts, one of the very best so I will leave that thought to those that were there but I can give you a good account of those I have personally viewed.

1. 1979 team was probably my all time favorite. We had a new young coach (Mike Pack) and not much expectations. We had just come off a 4-6 season. We finished the season at 12-1 and were beaten in the semifinals of the state playoffs, which is the closest we have ever gotten. It was the very first undefeated team at Lewis County (regular season) and would be the first in a series of three straight 10-0 regular season teams.

2. 1980 team was the best defensive team. Shutout their first six opponents and gave up like 700 yards offense for the whole season. Combined some of the best elements of the 79 team with the 81 team. Seniors Benny Pace, Clark Carroll, Tinker Staggs, Wade Peery, Kerry Cagle, Jeff Holbrook plus juniors Ken Crowell, Apple Webster, Brian Hinson.

3. 1981 team had the most speed I ever saw on a Panther team with Crowell, Webster, Bookie Hinson... lost to Goodpasture to end the season in the quarters.

4. 2001 team had a lot of heart. There weren't a lot of natural athletes on the team but through hard work and dedication, they put together a 12-1 season which to most fans, is pretty dog gone good!

5. 1966 team.. I was real young but I saw them play three times and they were very good for back in the days before classification with Bill Marbet, Albert Ricketts, Terry Bunch, Henry Robinson and of course a pair of dominating linebackers in Terry Thompson and the late Gary Skelton.

One note, the three times that I thought we had a legitimate chance of winning it all, we had plenty of team speed. I preached all year last year that a lack of overall team speed would prove detrimental the further we advanced into the playoffs. Speed kills and in the same sense, lack of speed kills. Hope this helps?

• 1 year later...

2. 1980 team was the best defensive team. Shutout their first six opponents and gave up like 700 yards offense for the whole season. Combined some of the best elements of the 79 team with the 81 team. Seniors Benny Pace, Clark Carroll, Tinker Staggs, Wade Peery, Kerry Cagle, Jeff Holbrook plus juniors Ken Crowell, Apple Webster, Brian Hinson.

3. 1981 team had the most speed I ever saw on a Panther team with Crowell, Webster, Bookie Hinson... lost to Goodpasture to end the season in the quarters.

Hey Don,

Wade Peery was a year behind me in school, so he was a junior the '80 season.

I think Tinker Staggs was a year behind me as well.

Bookie Hinson was in my class so he didn't play the '81 season.

Just doing some searching around the site and noticed this one.

My question is for donhaney you say the 1980 defense was the best? I don't know I didn't get to see them play.. My question to you is that team had a few dad's on the team and now thier son's are all through playing can you tell me some of the characteristics in some of the players as Tinker and Miles, Kerry and Tommy and some more of the father, and sons you have seen play..