Catholic Basketball?

Irish423

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously though. I haven't seen catholic play yet, and I don't know how many players are coming from football. From what they return from last year I would assume they will compete with Stone and AC for the district. If they can finish top 2 of District then they will get to play 2 games in the region tourney, unfortunately we all know what happens in the second round of region.

Seriously though. I haven't seen catholic play yet, and I don't know how many players are coming from football. From what they return from last year I would assume they will compete with Stone and AC for the district. If they can finish top 2 of District then they will get to play 2 games in the region tourney, unfortunately we all know what happens in the second round of region.

To give you insight, Catholic is young, but they have size. They play hard and they have developed a really good team chemistry. They will have 3 guys returning from football, 2 who started last year (Daniel Hood and Tyler Williamson). This team is unselfish and they don't care who scores, they just want to win. This is one of the fastest teams Catholic has had in a long time and as a result, they've been pushing the ball more. The best thing for the Irish (other than actually winning the football championship) was that other guys have had a chance to progress and allow the team to develop much needed depth.

Hey Beefstew, the last time I checked, since Catholic joined 4AA, they are the only boys team to make it to Murfreesboro.

To give you insight, Catholic is young, but they have size. They play hard and they have developed a really good team chemistry. They will have 3 guys returning from football, 2 who started last year (Daniel Hood and Tyler Williamson). This team is unselfish and they don't care who scores, they just want to win. This is one of the fastest teams Catholic has had in a long time and as a result, they've been pushing the ball more. The best thing for the Irish (other than actually winning the football championship) was that other guys have had a chance to progress and allow the team to develop much needed depth.

Hey Beefstew, the last time I checked, since Catholic joined 4AA, they are the only boys team to make it to Murfreesboro.

Biggest weakness will be the ability to handle defensive pressure on the ball and against the press. Size is excellent and outside shooting will be fine. This may be one of the deepest Catholic teams in a while (which isn't saying alot given we have played with only 6 or 7 for the past few years).

I think the philosophy of pushing the ball is a coaching change vs. a speed change. Someone must finally be listening to the Asst Coach. Don't think this years team is nearly as fast as Parton, Walden, H. Smith, Tremaine, Ponzurick/Crawford. Do you?

Actually yes...basketball fast they are just capable i believe that the point gaurd Branch is just as fast and maybe faster than Parton, but still hasnt developed into the great gaurd he will become as the year goes on. Yes Harrison is extremely fast but with the ball in his hand he cant use that to his advantage. Catholic has very good ball handling from 4 of the 5 starters including one post Widmer which can also play a gaurd at times. In no way am i saying this team is faster than the year with Parton and Brown but in no way are they slow either. This team is capable of slowing it down or speeding up the pace and i think down the year it will help work to their advantage.

Another player i want to mention is Joey Bodewig. He's pretty tall, I think around 6'6? And he has progressed tremendously from Freshman to sophomore year. (yes he is a sophomore) He is very good shooting down low and from what i have seen he is pretty impressive with the decision-making aspect.

I also forgot to mention Taylor Broussard. 6'2" 175-ish is a pretty diverse player. He can shoot threes, dunk, and drive. He is pretty athletic and has experience from starting during his sophomore year. He is a junior and has continued to improve and he could potentially be a true impact player for the Irish. Not only is he a good player, but he is a great kid at school and makes the grades. Great all around person.