Lebanon High School- New Building?

PHargis

Here's a few guys from the 70s and 80s -- shooting guard Kip Puryear (Class of 73) who played at MTSU; point guard Corky Cross (Class of 75) who played at Belmont; forwards Nathanial McCarver & William Jennings (72) who helped take the Blue Devils to the 1972 semifinals of the state at Vandy -- I think both went to Juco; current Wilson Central coach Troy Bond who played at TSU. Several former Gibbs players were standout football guys -- LoHarrel Stevenson DE at MTSU; Danny Watkins Little AA LB at UT-Martin; Richard Rhodes 2-year starter in secondary at Cincinnati; Vincent Harris -- TE @ MTSU and TSU.

The land for the new LHS has been purchased. Today's big hang-up is between the county commission and the school board is over funding the construction project. Commission has gone on record as opposing Hewlet-Spencer and the guaranteed maximum price. Several old-timers wanted a new building constructed on the existing LHS campus. Almost all the commission prefers hard bids. School board is in love with H-S for some reason.

Much bickering and NO TURNING OF DIRT. If they started tomorrow -- it would be two, maybe three years before the kids could move in.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a few guys from the 70s and 80s -- shooting guard Kip Puryear (Class of 73) who played at MTSU; point guard Corky Cross (Class of 75) who played at Belmont; forwards Nathanial McCarver & William Jennings (72) who helped take the Blue Devils to the 1972 semifinals of the state at Vandy -- I think both went to Juco; current Wilson Central coach Troy Bond who played at TSU. Several former Gibbs players were standout football guys -- LoHarrel Stevenson DE at MTSU; Danny Watkins Little AA LB at UT-Martin; Richard Rhodes 2-year starter in secondary at Cincinnati; Vincent Harris -- TE @ MTSU and TSU.

The land for the new LHS has been purchased. Today's big hang-up is between the county commission and the school board is over funding the construction project. Commission has gone on record as opposing Hewlet-Spencer and the guaranteed maximum price. Several old-timers wanted a new building constructed on the existing LHS campus. Almost all the commission prefers hard bids. School board is in love with H-S for some reason.

Much bickering and NO TURNING OF DIRT. If they started tomorrow -- it would be two, maybe three years before the kids could move in.

E, as you can see there has started to be quite a bit of interest on this site and since there is, if you could bring this thread up to date when something significant happens we would appreciate it. The thing posters have been concerned with for the past 3 years has to do with the condition of the building and the impact on the students education. TMK, no one has any sense, so far, with the things you mentioned. You can read the posts as well as any one. There are MANY who graduated from the school and have memories of times past. They love the school but they hate to see the condition it is in. A lot of Middle Tennesseans remember the school as it was and what it meant to Lebanon and MT. There is interest as to what is going to happen.

Hester Gibbs is still hanging in there, officiating football.

I know he was still umpiring high school softball two years ago.

The 1985 team had guys like Anthony Diligard, John White, Dr. Jon Franklin, Glen Reynolds, Troy Bond, Megail High, a sophmore white post player whose name escapes me and a five foot tall back up point guard named Gary Ward I believe.

Diligard, White, Franklin, Reynolds and Ward (?) went to Cumberland with me. Bond went to Columbia State and TSU. High and the post player went Juco. They lost in the first round of the state to Maplewood.

I did not know that Corky Cross played at Belmont. All those Saturday mornings at Uncle Pete's truck stop doing the coaches radio show that he sponsored and I never even knew. Good guy.

Is Kip Puryear still teaching (?) in the Lebanon district? Haven't heard his name in anything in awhile.

Hutto's team with big man Easterly was always fun to watch with Lanning and Vaughn as gurads and Davis as a force inside as well. I will never forget the time in the state tourny when i was in 1st grade going to see the Devils play. This team is one of the big reasons i love basketball. Coach Hutto did an amazing job as a coach and was also a positive male influence in these young people's lives.

Corky played point guard for Belmont and stayed on as an assistant for a year or two under Coach Bandy before going into property management, then insurance. At Belmont, he was in charge of making sure former Father Ryan star Reggie Little went to class.

Kip has retired from education and now does free lance work as a consultant to school systems.

Speaking of Easterly, he went to Alabama-Huntsville and had a pretty good career, spent a lot of time recovering from injury. Remember Malcolm Manier? He was a JUCO All-American in Cincinnatti and went on to play two years at D1 Georgia State.

Former Blue Devils Leon Love and longrange shooter Jamie Shannon both wound up at D2 Lincoln Memorial. Leon coaches the Wilson Central 9th graders now.

Reggie Little was a beast. I remember he broke a backboard at Ryan. He was a different bird /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> but a strong guy. Very hard to front on the block. He threw me around some for sure.

Puryear is a consultant to schools? WC Fields was right. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

The Easterley team was 2001. I really thought they could win it that year, but did not play well that day in the boro.

What in the world was that post players name? He would have graduated with Bond and High in '87. I can see his face, but his name will not come to me. I guess I should call Troy and ask him.

Reggie Little was a beast. I remember he broke a backboard at Ryan. He was a different bird /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> but a strong guy. Very hard to front on the block. He threw me around some for sure.

Puryear is a consultant to schools? WC Fields was right. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

The Easterley team was 2001. I really thought they could win it that year, but did not play well that day in the boro.

What in the world was that post players name? He would have graduated with Bond and High in '87. I can see his face, but his name will not come to me. I guess I should call Troy and ask him.

Rob Hollis or perhaps Craig Bingham