Why are players quitting???????

VeerCoach

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by UTMPlyr31:

I Heard that 5 players quit the Goodpasture Girls Basketball team this summer 4 of those were starters.

Anyone know any details ????????

responding to what was said about players quiting it is true but the reson why they quit is bc of the coach she is a very rude and obnoxious woman many peopl edo not like her at goodpasture and another reason some of them quit is bc they were asked by the coach to quit.this all is tru i go to goodpasture.

Posted by FOOTGUY5:
Posted by UTMPlyr31:

I Heard that 5 players quit the Goodpasture Girls Basketball team this summer 4 of those were starters.

Anyone know any details ????????

responding to what was said about players quiting it is true but the reson why they quit is bc of the coach she is a very rude and obnoxious woman many peopl edo not like her at goodpasture and another reason some of them quit is bc they were asked by the coach to quit.this all is tru i go to goodpasture.

Have anymore quit since? What is the outlook for the girls and the boys teams this year?

Any chance the boys can compete ?

Footguy5 is correct in that the coach really pushes the girls to hard for a team that only won 5 games last year. She definatley has taken the fun out of playing. It is true that the sophmore class was pushing for playing time. All the girls that left were Seniors and came up through the Julie Rollins philosophy. If the coach doesn't back off the sophmores will end up like the seniors and then the cougars will be in trouble!!

In my 30+ years in and around high school athletics, I have found two reasons why seniors quit.

1. Practices and games are interfering with their "social activites". Boyfriends, girlfriends, partying etc. They are "in love" or so they think.

2. Younger, better players are coming in and taking their playing time. It is much easier to quit than play behind a freshman or sophmore. Putting the blame on the coach soothes their fragile egos.

Having competed against Goodpasture for many years, I would say the reason is a combination of the two. If the player really wants to play they will no matter what. I despised my high school baseball coach, but I loved the game and stayed out there. That is what true athletes do. Also, Trojanman, how do you expect to get better if you don't work hard. I hope you don't coach making a statement like that. Perhaps the lack of work ethic got them to this point in the first place.

Posted by TrojanMan:

Footguy5 is correct in that the coach really pushes the girls to hard for a team that only won 5 games last year. She definatley has taken the fun out of playing. It is true that the sophmore class was pushing for playing time. All the girls that left were Seniors and came up through the Julie Rollins philosophy. If the coach doesn't back off the sophmores will end up like the seniors and then the cougars will be in trouble!!

The only problem I have understanding the quitting is how they weren't kicked off first. Any team that only wins 5 games and then complains about the work the following year is just misguided. Plain and simple, these attitudes are not the attitudes of winners. Let 'em go!

Posted by drknows:

In my 30+ years in and around high school athletics, I have found two reasons why seniors quit.

1. Practices and games are interfering with their "social activites". Boyfriends, girlfriends, partying etc. They are "in love" or so they think.

2. Younger, better players are coming in and taking their playing time. It is much easier to quit than play behind a freshman or sophmore. Putting the blame on the coach soothes their fragile egos.

Having competed against Goodpasture for many years, I would say the reason is a combination of the two. If the player really wants to play they will no matter what. I despised my high school baseball coach, but I loved the game and stayed out there. That is what true athletes do. Also, Trojanman, how do you expect to get better if you don't work hard. I hope you don't coach making a statement like that. Perhaps the lack of work ethic got them to this point in the first place.

this could be true but sometimes playing for a bad coach can make an athlete change hi/her minds.if this is true then i will retract my statment mad earlier