9AA Starts

Popcorn901

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to all the 9AA tournament winners!! We've been a quiet/under-rated district in the press this year. All those teams that saw us at Christmas are thankful they aren't in our district...huh? I think we are going to have some great basketball. Wouldn't it be nice to see one of these teams give Marshall Co a run for there money in region??? Playing such a diverse group of teams with different strengths and great defenses can only help the cause!

After seeing most of the teams play at least once this season, I'll give my best 'guess' at how things look (in my opinion):

Hume Fogg - Bagwell is the bomb. They remind me of Lipscomb last year. Great defense and a go-to player that can play any position on the floor. She can score from anywhere, and has a well-balanced supporting cast. These players are also in shape. You can tell they either play other sports in the fall or had a good conditioning program.

East Lit - Physical team that has great outside shooting. Every team in the district is going to have a tough time containing them. Zone will stop their drives, but will open outside shooting. They have a multi-faceted attack (if shots are falling). Their aggressive defense could be their strength or achilles (foul trouble) depending on the game. They are still my pick for best team in the district so far.

FRA - If Smith gets hot... watch out. Like Bagwell, she is a great athlete who can shoot. Look at their box scores, and you know who to guard. I keep hearing they are 'young.' They have some freshman playing, but so does every other team in the district. No one should think they don't have experience on the floor.

Ezell Harding - Ezell has something to prove. They have a very good new coach. Ezell always has the best press and trap in the district (UT Knoxville style). They also have girls that can shoot three's with five hands in their face. This is probably the most under-rated team in the district. Eakes was a force last year, but was overshadowed by McAllister. It is now her turn under the spotlight, and she is playing every second of every game. Great player.

David Lipscomb - Reliable, defense, and depth. If a player gets in foul trouble, there is another one to fill the spot. Looking at box scores, you can tell that there are 9 to 10 players on the court every game. Starters rarely play together for all the subbing, which leads to lack of rhythym and low-scoring games, but DL will slowly kill you with free-throw shooting. You do not want to be in the bonus against them. Like East Lit.. aggressive defense can be an achilles at times, but Dl has a deeper bench. If you are a run and gun team, DL will frustrate the living daylights out of you. They are great at controlling the pace of a game.

CPA - They have a 'go to' player, but can get you from elsewhere. They, too, have a strong defense that makes adjustments very quick to exploit other teams weaknesses. If a team has a big inside player, they will force outside shots. If the outside shots start falling, they quickly adjust to double teams and traps. It doesn't require a half-time to adjust. That impressed me. That is what you call good coaching!! Surprise team of the year for me. I did not think they would be as good as they are... and they are good.

MLK - Much improved, but still not quite where they need to be. They have some size and a good inside game. If outside shooting was more consistent, they could be a force. Give them a couple of years, and they are going to improve. They have a JV this year, which is a HUGE step for MLK. Getting those younger players in more games early will only help their varsity in years to come.

Pearl-Cohn - Wild Card? I just don't know what to think about them yet. Good athletes and great coach. I think they are still getting their sea-legs this year. They always come on at the end of the season and district tournament. I don't know why this year will be any different. Never count out PC's athleticism. They are a driving team, and you have to be able to stand and take some charges (or fouls if called the other way), and see how it goes.

This is my unprofessional observances VERY EARLY in the season. I'd love to hear other's thoughts that are closer to all of the programs.

Again - good luck to all!!

The two big games tonight are CPA-DL and Hume Fogg- Ezell. Any predictions???

CPA should win over DL. They both have excellent defenses but CPA may have more scoring power inside. If DL cuts off Hannah at the baseline and fronts Mitchell they can stop them.

Hume Fogg should win. Rumor has it that Maria Bagwell has been sidelined from practice for a week with an ankle sprain. If she is out it will be a whole different game. My guess is she will play...and make the difference.

Either way both games should be very good.

CPA should win over DL. They both have excellent defenses but CPA may have more scoring power inside. If DL cuts off Hannah at the baseline and fronts Mitchell they can stop them.

Hume Fogg should win. Rumor has it that Maria Bagwell has been sidelined from practice for a week with an ankle sprain. If she is out it will be a whole different game. My guess is she will play...and make the difference.

I say Ezell by 5. Can't remember last time Hume Fogg beat Ezell. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

It is good to see 9AA start this thread. 9AA has been too quiet too long and should be one of the best attended Districts around but has not pubed their shcools enough. These post are great but most have known there have been coaching changes but no names. Few know of the District Standings nor the schedules each week. Those posting communicate well. Turn on the facts, rivalries, and put a name and face on the some of the finest coaches in AA.

It is a shame the district will be broken up next year as these are some of the best tradition-rich schools in AA. Tell us about them and their players for some are playing in DIVI today. good Basketball.

51-48 Ezell Harding

lol you only missed it by a couple 9aa fan.

is is true that Kayla Eakes leads 9aa in scoring? pretty good for a 7th place team.

Cpa wins in a buzzer beater at Lipscomb 25-22

FRA wins a close one with MLK 28-22

Its true shpshter93 but don't tell anybody. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Its true shpshter93 but don't tell anybody. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

From the Ezell- HF box score in the Tennessean either Maria Bagwell did not score or she did not play. Does any one know? She would be a difference.