USJ vs. Ripley

utfan3

USJ completely quit playing in the third quarter. They were eaten alive by the Ripley dribble drive offense. The lanes were wide enough and uncontested enough to park an aircraft carrier in. USJ played like a bunch of young middle school players. They look like they were confused and were constantly out of position. Its going to be an extremely miserable season.

This was all a matter of getting tired. Ripley sent 5 fresh guys in at a time and played probably 12 players. USJ played 7 the entire game.

And.........this will only get worse.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol yeah like three weeks ago all these people were just like oh man usj is going to be great this year!!! lol now i can say "i told ya so"... but at least they're young so they have plenty of time to improve!

I'm still waiting on the "lethal mid-range jumper". Maybe he was talking about JV.

This was all a matter of getting tired. Ripley sent 5 fresh guys in at a time and played probably 12 players. USJ played 7 the entire game.

And.........this will only get worse.

Exactly where the multiplier kills private schools.....from TSSAA web site, Ripley 898 students / USJ - 350 students. You can find 7 quality players out of 350 and 10-12 out of 898 with no problem. It's just a fact of numbers.

Exactly where the multiplier kills private schools.....from TSSAA web site, Ripley 898 students / USJ - 350 students. You can find 7 quality players out of 350 and 10-12 out of 898 with no problem. It's just a fact of numbers.

True statement, but I don't think there were 12 quality players playing for Ripley. He just strategically worked them in as needed to keep everyone fresh. USJ doesn't do that. IMO...they have 3 players that need to stay on the floor with the minimum rest (although even one of those sits more than I think he should).......the rest could be drawn out of a hat and used to keep your starters fresh throughout the game rather than being content competing for one half only.

But then again.........this is why I am not the coach.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure what game posters were watching. It was a tight ballgame through 3 quarters. Ripley was up by just 3 points through 24 minutes. USJ led by 3 at the half. They came out flat at the beginnig of the 3rd quarter. USJ played a lot faster than Ripley expected and handled their press with ease. USJ is starting 2 sophs (Miller and Pierce), 2 jrs (Norton and Martindale) and 1 senior(Diffey who is their "post" at a skinny 6'3"

Midway thriough the fourth quarter USJ simply ran out of gas. As was previously posted in the "force" thread if they don't rebound they won't win. This is painfully obvious as the baseline is wide open and the middle parts like the Red Sea.

Coach Russell's flex offense works if the team is patient - USJ made some great passes and finished a number of runs. It is not the game pasing him by if his team cannot make free throws. They have lost two games by a point each this year shooting I would guess 60% from the free throw line.

EJ Miller is an unselfish player who ranks as the assist leader in the conference, so don't post junk without reciting the facts. Oh, by the way - he hit Ripley up for 20 points too without making a 3 pont shot. He is just a 5'10" Soph. who should have had more minutes last year. Look for him to do even more in the next 2 years.

Frosh JR Glover continues to struggle making the transition from Jr High to High School. If he is fed inside he is pretty good player. He does not need to shoot 3s - not his place or shot. He needs to rebound and go inside.

I agree with the previous posts - USJ will take their lumps this year. They will learn a lot and next year and the year after they will be one of the top teams in the State - D II or otherwise. Remember, they have 300 kids in their high school and play against 3X to 4X enrollments.

No excuses just the facts.

All the haters will dine on crow - enjoy the lols while you can.

Merry Christmas /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

I think you need to re-think one of the best teams in the state in DII-A. Look at some of the Memphis teams and notice that there are NCAA DI players on some of the rosters. Then there is the question of who will be coaching the team?