Look at what Georgia May Do.

yellowdog

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting concept; however, our situation in Tennessee is very different because our conflict between public/private is in the smallest classification. Unless someone brings everyone back together, then I would think you would see an outcry from the AAAAA schools for something like what Georgia is considering. One thing is for sure... it's not just our state going through this type of thing, but it is very very different! :x

Posted by ELA:

Interesting concept; however, our situation in Tennessee is very different because our conflict between public/private is in the smallest classification. Unless someone brings everyone back together, then I would think you would see an outcry from the AAAAA schools for something like what Georgia is considering. One thing is for sure... it's not just our state going through this type of thing, but it is very very different! :)

We don`t have a problem in Tennessee. :x

It's funny that you and about five others on this website think that we don't have a problem, but over 90% of the public high school coaches in Tennessee DO THINK WE HAVE A PROBLEM! I guess we are all just ignorant of the facts?

Volunteer General, I promise you changes will take place within a few years and you will not be able to stop them! :)

Posted by ELA:

It's funny that you and about five others on this website think that we don't have a problem, but over 90% of the public high school coaches in Tennessee DO THINK WE HAVE A PROBLEM! I guess we are all just ignorant of the facts?

Volunteer General, I promise you changes will take place within a few years and you will not be able to stop them! :)

ELA-Why would Riverdale, Maryville, DB, Germantown...and the other 3A, 4A, 5A coaches want a change? If I am Riverdale I am saying to myself, we just won the 5A state championship, the highest classification in the state there is...why would we want to tangle with Brentwood Academy (who won last night as I predicted), McCallie, MBA...etc?

Last time we went head to head with BA for the title they kicked our tail, they also beat Germantown...and they are one of the best teams in the nation this year? Why not leave it like it is, and not worry about it.

I am a division 2-aa supporter, and only a supporter, not a coach or a player...so I don't care a great deal about what happens in the 1a and 2a ranks, so why would a coach of a 5a school care so much either?

Do you think the 1a private school coaches want there to be a change? I would love to have D2-A, AA, and the Class A and AA privates play each other for the state title. Those would be some awesome teams with BCS, ECS, Goodpasture, Ezell, CPA, USJ, Lipscomb, Harding, Byrne...heck those teams right there have all been to the state semi's twice or won the state in the last 3 years! I am more in favor of a split because then no one has to worry about the private schools, because even with a multiplier you are going to have people complaining ELA, and you know that. If you put BA in the 5A system with a multiplier they are going to win, Ezell and teams like that will also do better then average. So split them up, and never worry about it again, I think that is the most fair thing (actually the most fair thing is to leave them like it is, but oh well).

Ela....You keep saying the same thing over and over. If there is such a huge problem then why don`t we ever see articles written up in any newspapers? Don`t you think they would jump on it if there were a problem? You go to your football coaches meetings where you can get together with other folks like yourself and complain about a few private schools that are doing pretty good in sports. The fact is that besides your reporting on here about all these other coaches and a few others on here who want to whine about the current system, neither myself or many others on here have ever even heard that such a problem exists. It`s kind of like the people posting in the Shelbyville girl`s basketball thread are saying, I think there are some jealous people on here.

Keep on going to your coaching "whinefest" meetings and eventually you may create a problem. You know...if you keep talking about long enough, people will probably start to believe you.Eventually you may get your change. But IMO it`s all just sour grapes on coaches part who don`t like losing to a private school.

There are 3 private schools in Jackson. Trinity made the playoffs for the very first time last year in school history. I don`t think Jackson Christian has ever been past the second round. It took USJ 15 years to make the playoffs and another 2 to actually win a playoff game. Were you complaining in the 80`s? I doubt it very seriously. Only when you see someone who is a little bit different than you having a little success is it a problem. Private schools have been around since before you started coaching. Can you honestly say that you had your same arguments then as you do now?

The fact is that only one private school has won more than one state championship in 1A. (DCA) No other private school has won more than one. The fact is that when private schools began play in 1A it was ineveitable that some day one might eventually win a state championship. This has now happened. And now that a few of them have won a state championship, some now feel that they are too big for their britches and want them to go away. That is sad IMO. Private schools have done nothing but add to Class 1A. The 5 or 6 good private schools bring good competition to 1A. They help make 1A a viable class along with the handful of good public schools. Good competition only makes other schools better. The fact is that there are more average to below average private schools in 1A than there are good ones.

They don`t have all the advantages that you proclaim they have. Jackson is not that big of a town and it is very rural outside the area and yet the 3 private schools here must attract enough kids to support, maintain, and stay in business. Next year they will have to compete with a public academic magnet school for students.Do you think that there are that many people here who have money or desire to scrape up the money just so their kid can play ball at a private school? You and others constantly want to paint a picture that private schools have it so easy. That they have no problem getting kids to enroll and that they are simply able to pick and choose who they want to come. Well, that my friend just isn`t the case. But you just go ahead and keep preaching the word...you`ll make believers out of a lot of people I`m sure. Myself and others have tried to explain how misinformed you and others are regarding your half truths about private schools, but somehow it falls on deaf ears with most.

The TSSAA has set up the system so that all schools are divided up so they compete in 5 classes with each class having schools similar in size. I don`t doubt you that this subject will come up before the TSSAA. I do find it very despicable that some public school coaches who hold a large majority in terms of numbers want to manipulate the system because they can`t handle the fact that 5 or 6 1A schools are doing well.

"Ela....You keep saying the same thing over and over. If there is such a huge problem then why don`t we ever see articles written up in any newspapers? Don`t you think they would jump on it if there were a problem?"

I do agree with that. When I asked some city school coaches about this perceived problem, they didn't even know there was a problem?

Let's step back and look at this real quick...

Volgen's son goes to a public school...I went to a private D2 school, so neither of us are going to really care about what they decide to do. The people who are complaining the most are the ones who are coaching or playing against the Class A privates...and the ones who are disagreeing with you, don't even have a dog in the race... they aren't bias or partial to one way or the other! When we bring in facts like the DCA thing, or the 3 titles in 10 years, no one says anything. Or when we talk about how some private schools like Clarksville Academy or USJ simply get blown out in the state championship, no one says anything. If Trousdale was still in 1A, what would it matter? They would beat most of them anyway, the only reason there is even an argument here is because that some good football teams from 1A left, or are just having a bad year, and instead of taking responsibility, they decide to point the finger at PRIVATES. I have talked to people on here from schools like Gordonsville or South Pitt, and I haven't heard them complain about anything at all. It is a select few, FROM THE SMALLEST CLASSIFICATION IN FOOTBALL, who are trying to change the entire state. If the problem was a problem from the smallest 1a ranks, to the largest 5a ranks, we might have something, but why change something that isn't a problem in the first place, and, even if it was...the facts dont support it!

Hey Ego...someone posted this on the basketball board. I was wondering if it was true or not. If it is, would they still be allowed to play any sport?

"By the way I might add that Memphis city schools allow their kids to go wherever the want as long as they find their own ride, so the zone rule isnt enoforced there."

Thanks VG

Laugh all you want... it is one of the main topics at every meeting of public school coaches. I am just one of hundreds who are saying the same thing in private. It isn't just football coaches! I know of many baseball, softball, and basketball (girls and boys) coaches who feel the same way. Most every administrator I know feels the same way. Maybe we just travel in different circles! ;)

Posted by ELA:

Laugh all you want... it is one of the main topics at every meeting of public school coaches. I am just one of hundreds who are saying the same thing in private. It isn't just football coaches! I know of many baseball, softball, and basketball (girls and boys) coaches who feel the same way. Most every administrator I know feels the same way. Maybe we just travel in different circles! ;)

Heck Ela...No one is laughing here!!! Like I said Your public school coaches meeting must be a whinefest. Who is in charge of bringing the crying towels?

I brought up some good points and yet your response is to keep on laughing? Now I am laughing!

BTW...Why are there meetings of public school coaches. What on earth would they be meeting for? Is there such a thing as a public school coaches meeting? Is there such a thing as a private schools coaches meeting?

You guys need to get over it and worry about more important things. That`s such a waste of time. It`s a shame that so many of our public school teachers and coaches are expending this much time and effort over something so trivial as this. ;)

Posted by ELA:

BTW Ela..just the mere fact that you guys are discussing the subject at a meeting of public school coaches is in itself one of the most incredibly stupid things that I have ever heard. What on earth would you hope to accomplish? If you think there is a problem with private schools anyone with sense would assume that discussing it with private coaches would be the best way to air things out. From the sound of it, the public school coaches are acting like whining posse run amuck with a "bring `em in dead" bounty. It`s very embarrasing to me as a public school parent that the matter consumes you guys so much. ;)

VolGen

There is such a thing as open enrollment in the city of Memphis. I am sure you have heard of Cordova, Germantown, Bartlett, Orange Mound, Brighton, Munford, Millington...they are all in or right outside of Memphis.

You have probably heard of White Station High School who was won the last two state championships in AAA. The open enrollment policy is something that many people point at to why Memphis dominates in basketball. And althought I do agree that it does go on, my response would be that only 2 teams from Memphis can go to the state tournament, so that right there eliminates most of them. Last year Cordova surprised everyone and went, and you have to throw in teams like White Station, Bartlett, Whitehaven, East, Melrose in AAA. Two AA was dominated by BTW (who was probably the best team in the state) but who didn't even advance out of memphis! AA had Ridgeway (who has won 2 out of 3 state championships), Fairley, Carver (had Qyntel Woods who now plays for the Trailblazers), Tredwell where Penny Hardaway and Elliot Perry went and so many other schools that I can't even count. The person who wrote what they did, is upset that the city of Memphis does allow parents to send their kids to another school (like Whitehaven instead of Melrose) if they wait in line like the monday before school and ask for a change. Usually the kids are doing it for the right reasons (Melrose might offer shop, and Whitehaven doesnt)...Memphis Overton for instance is one of the best art schools in the entire state, its almost like a magnet school...their bands and arts and crafts are the best in the city in my opinion. Also White Station I believe has like 13 classes for kids that are physically handicapped (deaf or blind)...Germantown offers a television station that the students directly run! What many people on this board...and even this thread do not understand is...parents do not want to drive across the city or pay thousands of dollars just to send their kid to a private school in hopes of killing the public school kids! They send their kids there for academics and religious reasons. My dad always told me, that he wanted me to be an average student, or a kid that just screwed around, he would have sent me to a school that was around the corner! Instead we paid 6000 a year and I went to a school that was about 10 miles from my house! I can assure you, that I do not know of one kid during my freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior year that transferred to my school just to play football or basketball!

P.S. to fully answer your question...every school has a quota, the nicest school in the city of Memphis is Mitchell High school, its about 95% to 100% black, and it was paid for by you guessed it...the tax payers! I think they built 11 new middle/elementary schools and they are all unique (instead of making them all look alike and saving money) they decided to do that. These kids have not done what it takes in the classroom, and in my opinion did not deserve this...heck no one does! I'm not going to keep harping on that, because it does offend people...but that is the honest truth...anyone who says that you can just drive to a school and go there is ludacrous...even if you are a great basketball player...WHO IS TO SAY WHO IS A GOOD BASKETBALL PLAYER? Volgen you could tell Germantown your son was the next Dick Butkus, and GHS is just going to take a 14 year old kid and admit him? Nah, Don't think so...Memphis really is different then West TN. Private Message me sometime Volgen, I have some more questions to pick your brain on.

[Edited by TheEgoHasLanded on 8-25-02 8:47P]