Look at what Georgia May Do.

yellowdog

Posted by ELA:

Some great thoughts on the matter! Sometimes it takes another coach to fully understand the issues. There are so many differences between public and private schools and I can't for the life of me figure out why the better 1A private schools enjoy playing at this level when they have the ability to compete at a higher level and win? There are many public schools who have chosen to play up for various reasons, so why shouldn't some of the better 1A Privates at least discuss the possibility within their own organizations? It could mean greater gate revenue and more prestige for their school. Many people would respect them more for their efforts!

OK Ela...Here`s your chance. Now that you don`t have to spend time looking for your whistle, would you please explain why one must be a coach (and a public school coach at that) to fully understand the problems.You so often like to tell people that since they are not a coach, they just couldn`t understand. So please enlighten us all on why you must be a coach to understand.

Thanks

VG

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AND on the same note,

how can you comment on private schools, ELA, when you know as little about them as you claim others do about publics. I know your son went to one for a year or two. But, come on, there are some of us who went to one our whole lives and then coached at one. Who would have the better knowledge base of a private school?

This is getting old man, everyone is so convinced all private schools are like the EVIL EMPIRE. THEY AREN't. NO MORE than Celina is like Germantown in Memphis. (germantown is the school that staged divorces to get kids eligible from Mississippi)

Posted by VolunteerGeneral:
Posted by ELA:

Some great thoughts on the matter! Sometimes it takes another coach to fully understand the issues. There are so many differences between public and private schools and I can't for the life of me figure out why the better 1A private schools enjoy playing at this level when they have the ability to compete at a higher level and win? There are many public schools who have chosen to play up for various reasons, so why shouldn't some of the better 1A Privates at least discuss the possibility within their own organizations? It could mean greater gate revenue and more prestige for their school. Many people would respect them more for their efforts!

OK Ela...Here`s your chance. Now that you don`t have to spend time looking for your whistle, would you please explain why one must be a coach (and a public school coach at that) to fully understand the problems.You so often like to tell people that since they are not a coach, they just couldn`t understand. So please enlighten us all on why you must be a coach to understand.

Thanks

VG

Still waiting on your reply to this one Ela. Why do you have to be a public school coach to fully understand this problem? :confused:

LOL..I`ve been looking for a good place to use the confused moodicator

Vol Gen... most of us on CoachT are simply tired of trying to reason with you about this subject, or any other for that matter! We appreciate your continued support and opinions, but I have better things to do than counter each of your points (good or bad)! By the way, you need to give people who live busy lives time to read your posts and decide if and when they want to respond. Some people do have a life away from responding to your threads!

Some of these things would be better sent to you through private messages, but since you aren't a plus member yet, I will say it here! I wish you could coach at a small public school for about two years. I promise you, things are not as "black and white" as you seem to make them out to be! Consequently, I will tell you that Vince Lombardi COULD do a better job than me, but I doubt in two years he would have won too many more games than I have. This debate is not about me, or my school, but since I am the most vocal, and upfront coach about this issue, and since my identity is not hidden like yours and PanFan's is, you guys would rather talk about my team, and their problems, rather than focusing on the issue at hand... public vs private debate!

Why shouldn't a public school coach understand the differences better than anyone else? That is like saying the Doctor (who practices medicine) doesn't understand his profession (and the needs of his patients) better than the person who reads a medical journal once a week (a few weeks a year)? This is not a knock on you, but if you are not in the battle, it is hard to understand what the soldiers (and generals) are going through! Conversely, it doesn't take a GREAT GENERAL to understand that he is facing overwhelming odds. I do understand this issue, not because I am a fan of the game, but because I make a living (in large part) because of this game. Panfan... I have never said I fully understand what private schools go through, but I do know as good as anyone, what public schools face each day. Does this make me an expert on the subject, YES... I think so (at least from the public side)! I can half way respect PanFan because he is a young football coach and has experience on the private side of things.

To be honest, Vol Gen, it is hard for me to respect everything you write on this subject because you have became more confrontational than productive. It seems to me (and many others who have contacted me) that you are just trying to be confrontational. You use to present good points, but lately all you want to do is complain. I think (at least for a while) I will try to coach football and leave the complaining to you! We should simply agree to disagree and wait until the season is over. For now... that is all! Please feel free to respond to the others in this debate. I will continue to post responses to some but not all of the threads. I've got to leave now and paint a football field for Friday's game. :)

however the posts come across, i havent yet reached a point of being upset with anyone, actually i think i would enjoy meeting those who disagree with me the most.

i do want to point out that if i take a long time to respond, or even dont respond, that doesnt indicate that i have conceded a point. i have actually got a lot of things that are more worthwhile to do with my time, this is just fun and so i give it the time it deserves. when you sway me on something i will let you know.

and that may come over the BA titles. my memory is that BA was in single A from around '72 or '73 until the around '90. since i didnt have any involvement with single A and looked down on the class as weak i didnt give it much thought (except that it was pretty cheesy for a power program to play in single A). i tried to look up BA's record before the first post, since i wanted to have a number, but the tssaa site had the "playoff record" section inaccessible for "being updated", and i could not find that information on the BA site. as soon as i can find a source ( i am still not sure that i was wrong) i will be pumping out that apology. can vg or someone tell me where to look?

so vg & i both have ties on both sides of the fence. can i preface my posts by calling myself a private supporter? at least i dont criticize the privates and call them names.

yes, i sent a child to private school, but am involved in the sports program at a public school. not all my kids went private, but that one i felt needed what the private school had to offer. and i feel like i got what i paid for, private schools do a wonderful job for those who can afford it, or (as in my case) manage to come up with the funds. i do not think i was "owed" my tax money back for the public school during that time period. we have made the choice, as a nation, to make an education available to anyone who wants it. that is an admirable thing. my choice to pay more because i wanted more was my choice.

part 3, vg says i didnt get the point. but i would say that he missed mine. i specifically said i did NOT believe that privates were enrolling elementary schoolers on the basis of athleticism. i said that it IS possible to recognize prospects at that age. specifically it is obvious early on whether a given class will be strong or weak. some classes have very few prospects. some classes have a lot. some of those prospects will reach their potential, some will not, and there will always be those who overachieve and become good players despite limited ability. but a class with few prospects will only produce a few players.

vg also asked for me to state what i think are the fundamental differences. well, that has been done so well before-stan trott just recently- that i dont want to embarrass myself doing a bad job. also, this is much like a discussion of creationism & evolution. no one coming on here is looking to learn anything. and no one is likely to change their opinion.

still, i have to toss out a thing or two.

1) i have to make it my business to find out which kids parents cant (or wont) provide them with the proper attire to travel with the team. how many private coaches start the year with a trip to buy ties and dress pants? likewise, when your team stops to eat, do they need to watch for kids that are hanging around the edges & go see if they need money so they dont have to go home hungry?

2) does this indicate any possible difference to you:

USJ: 16 varsity sports 21 coaches 316 students

Collinwood: 8 varsity sports 9 coaches 324 students

CPA: 19 varsity sports 23 coaches 269 students

Celina: 11 varsity sports 10 coaches 266 students

Boyd Buchanan: 12 varsity sports 20 coaches 305 students

Gordonsville: 6 varsity sports 9 coaches 302 students

i could continue, but i need to get after some of those more worthwhile things...PRONTO!

The last year in which BA played in the smallest class was 1974. Since then, they played up to the AA level (giving them the likes of Page, David Lipscomb, and Harpeth Hall as district rivals--remember, it's fairly recent that the classes for football were separated from the ones in other sports). Under the five-class system, they played first 4A, then 5A.