Tennessee Gatorade Player of the Year 2008

play4keeps

Gatorade Player of the Year

Congrats Nicole!

It is very easy to appreciate what athletes do. But if you haven't realized thier total accomplishments and likely not knowing their GPA of 4.07, to think back at this year and especially the committment, any doubts of why just goes away and the selection process seems to be in good hands. Two State Championships in Track and Field,A final four in Volleyball, an All State in Volleyballl, a Gatorade Player of the Year a Junior Olympic player and a Scholar/Athlete and a Junior. One just whirls around and says what has she got to prove now. Where is her goals for next year? The answer likely is when will some School, Division I make a visit to her house and meet with her family and say to her, "We like you, we like your dedication and your work ethic and we like your academics and we want you to represent our school in your sport." Without knowing, its likely that visit may already have been made. Visits to schools certainly have been made. You now have to be careful about the NCAA. Now to finish up that Junior Year and maybe try to get those State Championships again in Track and Field and to be careful about conditioning and avoid any injuries. Doing all of those things does put a little wear and tear on ones body and then junior olympics?? And then likely come back to a goal she didn't achieve because its easy for athletes to forget their achievements but somehow will remember what they just missed, that Volleyball State Championship. Missed likely but certainly not forgotten. And then where is their time for the social life for a "teen age idol". That something that no high schooler needs to miss. And then there's all of those grades. I would think it's easy to take a few weeks off to recuperate but athletes don't rest easily. They just look for the next mountain, maybe a little higher and maybe a little different but looking for diversity in what they do. We look forward to seeing the accomplishments this next year and What she will finally decide next year. This is a fine accomplishment and take care of yourself.

Congrats to Nicole after her being shunned at last years TSSAA semifinals! Much as our players were... and I include Jess & Becca in that group! No sour grapes just truth....

Way to go Nicole!

Mark.

(a.k.a. Jess' dad)

Sounds like from most of your prior posts, there are a lot of sour grapes. Let it go. Have a Merry Christmas.

I would say your're right. 191 posts and burst out with this many, either the kids are out of the house or you got bored for something to do. I will say to you that your posts are generally informative and do carry with them some great quips. You are known by many and hopefully, sometime, the Knoxville News will help you get some better coverage but maybe the Oak Ridge Paper will get their readership up.

Tennesse has a lot of Great players that could have been named Gatorade Player of the Year. I have watched Nicole play this year and she is a total player. Congrad's. R Smith from Hutchinson, H Parman from GPS, Either Arnold girl from GB all could have gotten this. Tennessee has a lot to be proud of.

Tennesse has a lot of Great players that could have been named Gatorade Player of the Year. I have watched Nicole play this year and she is a total player. Congrad's. R Smith from Hutchinson, H Parman from GPS, Either Arnold girl from GB all could have gotten this. Tennessee has a lot to be proud of.

CD, not only is she a total player, just recounting her accomplishments along with a 4.07 GPA really had to convince no one she deserved consideration. Really made me tired at the dedication she had along with the dedication many others had. And could anyone say that VB players are not athletes. The game seems to be attracting very good ahtletes that are training themselves.

According to PrepVolleyball the finalist from Tennessee were Heather Parman and Jasmine Brown (GPS), Kaycee Green (Cookeville), Bekah Smith (Hutchison), Sam Serley (Independence) and Alison Woods (Centenial). All great and qualified candidates. All should have great success at the next level. I believe most have signed or are close to making a decision to play Div I volleyball. Congrats !!!!!

According to PrepVolleyball the finalist from Tennessee were Heather Parman and Jasmine Brown (GPS), Kaycee Green (Cookeville), Bekah Smith (Hutchison), Sam Serley (Independence) and Alison Woods (Centenial). All great and qualified candidates. All should have great success at the next level. I believe most have signed or are close to making a decision to play Div I volleyball. Congrats !!!!!

Since I have seen most of these players play, In the past five years I have not seen a "group" of players, and I can add others, that athletically could be peers this year to about the top 15-25 players and could excel in other sports as well. The number likely could go to about 40. This has nothing to do with the play of VB. This was the biggest difference I as able to see in this years results. Basketball, Soccer, Track and Field, golf, Tennis and with good GPA. So Tennessee players, if you want , diversify some. It may help the dreaded "burn out" in an intense sport.

Announcements