Top 5 AA teams in Middle TN

MIDTN

1. Upperman - no one close

2. Marshall Co. - Still getting it done. MC vs Upperman would make a great final.

3. Station Camp - sound team, but too small

4. Cannon Co. - Someone explain the Cookville game to me.

5. York - Might be a sleeper.

I have been following girls ball in middle TN for a long time. I'm a lot more fan than expert, but I don't ever remember districts 8,9,10, and 11 being this bad all at once. Other than Marshall Co., there is not a team in the bunch that could finish in the top 4 of district 7. What is going on?

2. Marshall Co. - Still getting it done. MC vs Upperman would make a great final.

I have been following girls ball in middle TN for a long time. I'm a lot more fan than expert, but I don't ever remember districts 8,9,10, and 11 being this bad all at once. Other than Marshall Co., there is not a team in the bunch that could finish in the top 4 of district 7. What is going on?

After getting to see Upperman I agree they are in a class alone. I don't know if Marshall County could beat them or not. My money would be on Upperman. Upperman's top three scorers are it's two senior guards and its 6'-2" junior center. Experience and size at all the right places. Don't know about the other districts but 9AA has plenty of talent but for some reason the cycle is such that almost every team that has good young players lacks experience. Good for the future but not so good for now. For some reason there just aren't teams with experienced good older players. Ross and company graduated from Lipscomb and McAlister and her group graduated from Ezell-Canady and Jackson from FRA were gone this year too. I look for the 9AA teams to be much improved by years end. The move to DII by FRA and Ezell will change the landscape next year- not to mention most of 9AA going to 10 AA except for Hume Fogg.

I wouldn't get too excited about the other teams in 7AA except Upperman.

I like you MIDTN am a fan way before expert. Although I try to keep up with bball across the state either by seeing them with my on eye or what I can read, as you know there is a lot filtering goes on what we read here, news media, etc. As for the 7a comment while iis a pat on our back, i am really surpised to how this district has played out. Upperman is definately the cream of the crop in the district and the rest of the teams are just up and down with out any consistency. As an LA fan I know we are frustrated as we can and have played well but not consistent.

Having said that, I thought the capsules below were interesting as McMinn Central which is technically east tn but they play our regions 7-8 at substate are #1 and they are very very good IMO. So, I left them there, all the others in bold are middle tn unless I missed one. They seem to think Marshall is above Upperman and maybe so as they are good. Stone another "border" team that could be middle or east is due some recognition although they were manhandled by Clarkrange but did beat York.

I think AA is probably more level top to bottom than the other classifications and really can't argue with the capsules as of now (well with out nit picking). Not trying to hijack your thread about middle tn, just though it interesting the team capsules state wide and what middle has brought to the table. Maybe we can some more posting on here and see what others think.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Team Capsules

These capsules are based on the CoachT.com Strength + Success ranking.

The ranking combines a team's opponent win percentage with the team's own win percentage.

Teams that perform better against opponents that perform better will rank higher.

These rankings are updated every morning

and are based only on scores reported to CoachT.com.

2008-2009 Women's Basketball

Ranking updated: December 22, 2008 5:42 AM

Division I Class AA

1. McMinn Central Chargers

Schedule: 56th toughest

Overall: 12-0

District: 4-0

Members of District 5. Recently defeated #25 Loudon, Grundy Co., # and #18 Chatt. Arts & Sciences.

2. Marshall Co. Tigers

Schedule: 61st toughest

Overall: 13-0

Members of District 10. Upcoming game against Dickson Co. on Friday. Recently defeated Lewis Co. and #11 Hickman Co..

3. Gibson Co. Pioneers

Schedule: 71st toughest

Overall: 11-0

District: 3-0

Members of District 13. Recently defeated #21 Dyer Co. and Peabody.

4. South Greene Rebels

Schedule: 41st toughest

Overall: 9-1

Members of District 1. Upcoming game against Farragut on Friday. Recently defeated University School and West Greene.

5. Upperman Bees

Schedule: 77th toughest

Members of District 7. Upcoming game against Riverdale on Friday. Recently defeated # , # and # .

6. Westview Chargers

Schedule: 89th toughest

District: 1-0

Members of District 13. Recently defeated Dyersburg and Henry Co..

7. Unicoi Co. Blue Devils

Schedule: 98th toughest

Overall: 9-0

Members of District 1. Upcoming game against Cloudland on Monday.

8. Milan Bulldogs

Schedule: 51st toughest

Overall: 6-1

District: 1-0

Members of District 13. Lost to Bradford by 3 on Dec. 19.

9. Stone Memorial Panthers Stone could be middle tn

Schedule: 11st toughest

Overall: 7-3

District: 1-1

Members of District 4. Recently defeated #18 York Institute. Lost to Loudon by 21 on Dec. 19.

10. Gibbs Eagles

Schedule: 78th toughest

Overall: 8-1

Members of District 3. Recently defeated Knoxville Halls.

Honorable Mentions: Hickman Co. (7-3), Bolivar Central (5-1), Polk Co. (8-1), McNairy Central (7-3), Cheatham Co. (9-2), Jackson South Side (5-2), Anderson Co. (8-1), York Institute (7-3), Smith Co. (9-3) Franklin Road Academy (8-2).

Upperman vs Riverdale this Saturday will be a great game and a chance to tie a lot of teams together. I think Upperman will wear them down and win by 10 or so. The combined coaches ego level will set some kind of record. Brentwood and Hillsboro are also in that tournament field. That could produce several good games.