FC schedule

koufax32

As someone who pays attention to district 8-AAA I was wondering if any fans outside or for that matter inside FC realized the weakness of the basketball schedule for the Rebels and Rebelettes. Why so many Class A teams and so few home games. John Wild is one of the most capable coaches in the Mid-State and has coached one year on the collegiate level. He does a good job with whatever talent level he has. His offensive schemes/sets are among the most difficult to prepare for. Why such a weak schedule and I wonder what is the reasoning behind the schedule. No disrepsect intended to the following programs, but for FC to play East Ridge, Rhea County, Cascade, Community, South Pittsburg, Whitwell among others and to play them on the road is highly questionable. It is almost like someone on purpose went out and tried to find the weakest teams in the area and play them at their gym. I suppose it is the preogative of the coaches to determine their schedule and whoever supervises the schedule making to sign off on the schedule; so there are several people involved. FC will or should I say easily win 20+ games and I think they are 13-2. I am not sure what will be accomplished by this and what Coach Wild is trying to accomplish. I think a 16-10 record versus difficult and challenging competition would be more conducive to tournament time but what do I know. Coach Wild has his reasons and only the good people in charge of FC can ask questions.

I agree. I don't know why you would want to schedule so many Class A games of this caliber. Now it would be more reasonable if he did schedule schools like Jackson Co. and Clarkrange if he was going after the single A classes. But still it makes no sense. I would rather watch a close game, whether you win or not, than a blow out. Playing a few of these games to get you started but no more than than that. But on the other hand, it is good for those schools(single A) to see other teams and go at a faster pace than usual. Unless he is patting the stats for his players would be the only logical answer I could come up with. To each his own, I suppose.

Coach Wild has his reasons for playing basically a District -8AAA schedule and a Class A schedule. I think he wants to pad his resume so that if/when other jobs become open in the Middle Tennessee area he can make a move. He looked closely at the Riverdale job last Spring, but he could not get a sniff as they hired Hillary Maxwell. He is one of the better coaches in the state and he has won at each stop, Moore County, Bradford, Lawrence County, etc. Only playing 7 home games warrants some discussion also. 6 are 8-AAA return games. How can he do this and pay bills for uniforms, shoes, travel, meals, etc, etc? His fund raising efforts are huge with his play days and elementary tournament not to mention all of the fund raising done by the boosters/parents. He has plenty of money to meet the wants/needs of the program. I don't understand how the boys coach and county wide AD would approve such a schedule, but again if it passes the necessary powers at be then it works. I suppose the supporters are hoping for a deep run by the team in the tournaments in March. Then we will see which philosophy pays off, the thought that by playing a tough schedule your team gets tested and ready for the big elimination games or the thought that playing weaker competition provides your team the ability to grow and find the players that will be ready for the tournament when action speeds up. I suppose there are merits to both schools of thought. But don't let the FC current record of 14-2 fool anyone.

Coach Wild has his reasons for playing basically a District -8AAA schedule and a Class A schedule. I think he wants to pad his resume so that if/when other jobs become open in the Middle Tennessee area he can make a move. He looked closely at the Riverdale job last Spring, but he could not get a sniff as they hired Hillary Maxwell. He is one of the better coaches in the state and he has won at each stop, Moore County, Bradford, Lawrence County, etc. Only playing 7 home games warrants some discussion also. 6 are 8-AAA return games. How can he do this and pay bills for uniforms, shoes, travel, meals, etc, etc? His fund raising efforts are huge with his play days and elementary tournament not to mention all of the fund raising done by the boosters/parents. He has plenty of money to meet the wants/needs of the program. I don't understand how the boys coach and county wide AD would approve such a schedule, but again if it passes the necessary powers at be then it works. I suppose the supporters are hoping for a deep run by the team in the tournaments in March. Then we will see which philosophy pays off, the thought that by playing a tough schedule your team gets tested and ready for the big elimination games or the thought that playing weaker competition provides your team the ability to grow and find the players that will be ready for the tournament when action speeds up. I suppose there are merits to both schools of thought. But don't let the FC current record of 14-2 fool anyone.

When you build your schedule in advance you have no idea how good or bad your competition will be. It is true that the Clarkrange and Jackson Co. year in and out should be good but to say all the other Single and double A teams are weak is unfair. I am sure that the coach is not padding his stats at the cost of this team being ready for state time. It is hard to disagree with a coach with 2 rings. Also 13-2 is not that shabby.

To the last post, I disagree with most of what you posted. You don't think Coach Wild has an idea about the strength of most of the teams he scheduled. They just did not become weak sisters overnight. Yes, you don't see Clarkrange or Jackson County on the FC schedule. I do think he is paddding his schedule for other reasons. Any coach with "2 rings" does know the playing field out there and he knows how weak most of the teams are. Why doesn't he schedule a game or two out of Murfreesboro, or Marshall County, if he wants a win in AAA he can always schedule Warren County, they have been down for years too. If he wants to keep a weak schedule secret why not go into Alabama and pick on some of the weaker schools that border FC? I defeintely think he knows exactly what he is doing. Someone that wears a Steeler jersey to the Titan game is a real Steeler fan and hard headed. Ask him if heis a disciple of Trent Dilfer? He knows what that means.

• 2 weeks later...

some coaches need wins and bless their hearts ours do. its not just wild its all the major sports. look at the schedules the past few years. Its really not their fault the fans think their kids are all americans and expect 20 wins every year.

Noticed the FC victory over Rhea County this weekend. FC must have 14-15 wins by now. Only time will tell what this really means to the program and or to the coach. Seems like nobody cares too much one way or the other based on the responses. Does apathy reign in FC or is support lying dormant until football makes a comeback at the Winchester school?

• 3 weeks later...

The Rebelettes seem to having some difficulty within the ranks of 8-AAA, losing to Lawrence County on the road and then losing at home to Lincoln County. The old grads and fans had to be disappointed with the loss to LC, since it was the 40 year reunion of the 1969 team that won the STATE. FC was fighting for second, but now will have to get some wins to finish 3 or 4. Three teams are 3-3; FC, LC and Columbia. District 8-AAA is half way through its schedule. A two girl offense makes it difficult for FC. The Rebelette offense is predicated on a number of quick hitters primarily for Zimmerman and Cunningham and when they are contained the rest don't seem to be able to make up the difference in a close game. Coach Wild will make adjustments and we will see what happens as the season moves on. I am sure he is looking for someone to step up and have the confidence to make big shots. Congrats to Shoma and Jan and the rest of the '69 Champs, kudos to you.