What do coaches look for?

kknike

What do coaches[/us look for the most in younger players? Speed, being able to handle tough situations, what i cant excatly put my finger on what my coach wants from me? i am a post, i am not extremley fast but i can beat the majority down the court, i can shoot? i cant figure it out!! what do you think?

What do coaches[/us look for the most in younger players? Speed, being able to handle tough situations, what i cant excatly put my finger on what my coach wants from me? i am a post, i am not extremley fast but i can beat the majority down the court, i can shoot? i cant figure it out!! what do you think?

I think what most coaches look for in a player is the ability to handle the ball and not lose it in tough situations,(this would include passing AND recieving the ball)make smart/fast decisions when the ball comes your way. You need to have a "high basketball IQ" in other words being able to think quick on your feet when you are in the game(or practice) and do the right thing without making alot of mistakes, LEARN the game. So work on your ball skills around the low and high post areas, work on rebounding (boxing out and jumping for the ball, dont wait on it to come to you). Be QUICK with your hands at all times and play under control. Read what is going on, on the floor at all times. Im sure if you improve on some of these things your coach will notice. Basketball is a very demanding sport.

Practice Practice Practice, on your own. Good luck.

Talk to your coach and be specific on what you can do to get better. I would say consistent strong effort, listening to and retaining instruction, and playing smart (no "silly fouls" at crucial times, etc) would be valued by the coach in addition to measurable qualities such as height or quickness. Shoot and run on your own even if your practices appear to cover it sufficiently.

Talk to your coach and be specific on what you can do to get better. I would say consistent strong effort, listening to and retaining instruction, and playing smart (no "silly fouls" at crucial times, etc) would be valued by the coach in addition to measurable qualities such as height or quickness. Shoot and run on your own even if your practices appear to cover it sufficiently.

Thats really good advice we have like 7 or 8 senoirs on our team and that makes it hard to get noticed, our coach rotates most of us in depending on how we play @ practice and thats the way it usually happends on alot of teams.. But i know senoirity is def. a big thing for us... and im only a freshman.

Since 1/2 of your varsity team is made of seniors and I am assuming you are on the varsity as a freshman, I would say he has a future planned for you. It is your job to be ready.

Thinking:

Know who you are guarding, are they left or right handed?

In the other teams offense , where does your person want to get the ball? You can you deny that position, if you know where they go in advance.

Is the person you are guarding a 3 point threat?

Do they drive? Left or right ?

Do you hunt someone, not nescaarrily your man, to box out every shot?

Do you beat the other team esp. your man back on defense?

Are you always in triple threat?

Do you waste dribbles?

DO YOU HAVE A GREAT ATTITUDE? DO YOU GIVE GREAT EFFORT?

Attitude and efffort are the 2 things you can control. You can not control, whether or not shots go in, etc.

Do you take blame and criticism, even when it may not be your fault?

Are you willing to take a charge?

Do you set effective screens?

Think ahead, if the ball comes to me, what am I doing with it? Know in advance. Know where the ball is, know where your teammates are. Every second , be thinking, what can I be doing?

While on the bench, keep notes of the post player playing ahead of you. Watch just them the whole game? Why did he/she do that? What should have been done? What can the do to get better? How is the other team defending her? How well does this person play defense? Are they always in stance? Does this person box out? Does this person look the coach in the eye when they are speaking?

If you work hard, esp in the off season, on YOUR skills, the thinking part will be easier.

Just a few things for starters!!!!!!!!!!!!