south pitt vs grace

topper06

Chattanooga basketball hasn't been the same with the public schools since Riverside and Kirkman Tech were closed.

Brainerd, Howard, Lookout Valley, Arts and Sciences, I believe Tyner, maybe others, have made it to the state tournament since then. I agree the quality isn't what it was, I haven't seen any Malcolm Mackeys out of the Chattanooga public schools lately. The small privates in A-with Grace, Temple even Boyd-Buchanan all making it to the state and the Cleveland schools in AAA have been the class of the area. The exception has been Howard as Brainerd has fallen off for whatever reason, fallen off from their previous strength. I think Silverdale will be the next team to become a contender.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old Pirate says SP has a situation that can be a positive or sometimes a negative. Some folks like a middle school atmosphere and some are fine with the old school tradition of junior high and high school being housed in the same building. OP doesn't see much of a negative or positive except 6,7 & 8th grade can work together better in sports than programs where the split is 7-12 grade. The fact is most of us had the old school type situation and never thought nothing about it. Personally OP thinks some areas went to middle school systems to create room for crowded elementary and 7-12 high schools. RR, to answer you question OP really don't see anyone who could actually be identified responsible for holding kids in a program. Keep in mind SP has been limited with basketball facility problems and elementary principles in SP not advacates of developing basketball skills. OP is really not sure if that has changed recently, but will have to become a reality if SP is to become known for basketball.

Did not know they had the jhs housed in the same building. This could be a solid plus for SP because all the kids get to be around each other. Would you not think this to be the reason their football program is so great? Kids come in contact with the hs coaches every day, they get to see all those gold balls SP has won. I would think under these circumstances the basketball coach would take both in order to instill his system. I see nothing negative about this setup at all. Is their junior high program led by good coaches?

OP is not aware of White?

I believe his name is Charles White.............He ran the ball at east ridge...........

Old Pirate says that name doesn't signal the alert horn to OP. When did he play for Jasper? Eastridge did have a RB several years ago that was a hoss but his name escapes OP now. Think he went to UTC for awhile before disappearing. Charlie White is the only name close to OP's time that can readily be remembered. Does TTP remember him? A little trevia for TTP.

Old Pirate says that name doesn't signal the alert horn to OP. When did he play for Jasper? Eastridge did have a RB several years ago that was a hoss but his name escapes OP now. Think he went to UTC for awhile before disappearing. Charlie White is the only name close to OP's time that can readily be remembered. Does TTP remember him? A little trevia for TTP.

I am sure that some of the younger kids can help me out with this one. He was after my time, but I think before peardon. He made East Ridge able to compete even as bad as they have been. Graduated as the all time leading rusher in the city of chattanooga, I believe.

He played about 7 years ago. He wasn't a bad back at all but some of his games weren't against the best competition. Some of his stats may have been inflated too, as hard as it seems to do so on just rushing totals. Against a 3-7 type Sequatchie team he had 75 yards on close to 20 carries (they went all out to stop him and the quarterback had a good passing game as a result) and at the end of the year the coach was talking about how he gained well over 100 yards each game.

He signed with UTC but never played, I remember reading he tried to play at some Division III school pretty far away and I don't know how that turned out. It sounds a little like the running back from last year at Lookout Valley, instead of signing Division II or NAIA he tried to walk on for the Mocs and it didn't work out. Around White's time a record breaking running back from Ooltewah also signed with the Mocs but only lasted a year or two, and a couple of seasons ago a really good back from Tyner only lasted a season due to grades. Things like that give some understanding on how UTC lots of times goes elsewhere for players.

This topic has went completely away from the SP-Grace basketball game but at least it's still sports related.

Brainerd, Howard, Lookout Valley, Arts and Sciences, I believe Tyner, maybe others, have made it to the state tournament since then. I agree the quality isn't what it was, I haven't seen any Malcolm Mackeys out of the Chattanooga public schools lately. The small privates in A-with Grace, Temple even Boyd-Buchanan all making it to the state and the Cleveland schools in AAA have been the class of the area. The exception has been Howard as Brainerd has fallen off for whatever reason, fallen off from their previous strength. I think Silverdale will be the next team to become a contender.

umm... I dont know about Silverdale. I went to the Silverdale/Grace game at Grace and I think thhe score was like 97-29.. thats awful. When we play Silverdale Monday its gonna be ugly too. There isnt any teams in the Chattanooga area that can match up with Grace and Temple. Power houses!!!

umm... I dont know about Silverdale. I went to the Silverdale/Grace game at Grace and I think thhe score was like 97-29.. thats awful. When we play Silverdale Monday its gonna be ugly too. There isnt any teams in the Chattanooga area that can match up with Grace and Temple. Power houses!!!

Wasn't Grace part of the best of preps tourney that howard won??? /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> Seems like they went 2-2 with losses to baylor and ridgeland. Looks like they finished about 5th in that tournament?? Seems like there are a couple of teams that match up pretty well anyway. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

We also all know that temple has been caught for cheating in the past now don't we????

I didn't say recruiting, just connections. What ever way they happened, the football coach had players transfer in when he was at LFO and it's continued at Silverdale. They got a good-sized freshman post in from Ringgold this year. Word of mouth from parents helps these schools a lot I'm sure and there's no way you could or should regulate that-as long as it's not directed by the coach. As I understand the rule there's supposed to be no talk with a coach about the sport, what position an athlete could play etc, before the student is enrolled. That's one reason the transfers, including public to public, seem outrageous at times unless it's a parent acting as the go-between. If you're a point guard transferring mostly for athletic reasons from a losing program to a Temple (just an example), how do you know what to expect without some conversations about what is coming up at that position, what kind of offense is run, etc. As for Silverdale, it's a straight, quick shot up 1-75 from that area, probably less than 15 minutes on the interstate for a lot of families, that helps too. It isn't too far from Cleveland either, down the interstate, if an athlete isn't quite good enough to succeed in Class AAA his or her parents might consider Class A Silverdale for playing time and for the perceived superior education.