Grace Baptist at Temple

dadoffour

I agree with ChattStone that Patrick Shaughnessy could dominate the game, but, his guards will have to include him, which I've never seen happen. He will probably have to get his points from putbacks.

In the first matchup last year Temple could not score in the paint---kept getting their shots blocked by the twin towers. That shouldn't be as much of an issue with McMasters gone.

I'm assuming Shaughnessy, Church, Herman, and Harper will start for Grace. Who is the fifth?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with ChattStone that Patrick Shaughnessy could dominate the game, but, his guards will have to include him, which I've never seen happen. He will probably have to get his points from putbacks.

In the first matchup last year Temple could not score in the paint---kept getting their shots blocked by the twin towers. That shouldn't be as much of an issue with McMasters gone.

I'm assuming Shaughnessy, Church, Herman, and Harper will start for Grace. Who is the fifth?

Nathan Schley has been the fifth starter for Grace early this season. He is a sophomore Guard/Forward. About 6-1 and very well-built and athletic. Not a huge scoring threat, but is gaining confidence.

Therein lies the problem for Grace Men's Basketball. They have enough talent to do whatever they want, but there is no continuity or team play at all in what they do. Everyone seems to fend for themselves. Call it poor coaching, poor player attitudes, none of the above, or all of the above, but they shoot themselves in the foot more than many teams in the area.

From what I have seen Grace's bench (Wilson, Nelson, Ruebusch, Carter, Brown) is deeper and more talented than Temple's (Reaves, Pendergrass, Kemp wasn't starting early in the year but don't know if that has changed, Jones etc) so foul trouble might hurt Temple worse than Grace. We'll see...

Temple's starters the last few games have been Kemp, Sexton, Johnson, Andrews, and Montgomery. Reaves, Pendergrass, and Peterson have seen the most time off the bench the last few games with Armour contributing some minutes. Reaves was actually slotted as a starter but broke his arm in a pre-season scrimmage against Notre Dame. Peterson has started since the beginning because Kemp broke his leg in a car accident and had another injury(?). Temple proved in the game against Walker Valley when Sexton sat down early in the second half that they could compete with anyone with any starter on the bench. Foul trouble may be more of an issue with Grace than Temple.

I only saw Grace play Silverdale and that would be a hard game for me to judge the quality of a bench but I did not think that their bench was outstanding. We will definitely get a good picture tomorrow night.

I am getting excited about tomorrow night!!! It's around the corner. I still think Temple by five. Grace is going to jump out quick and hard but they will get cocky like usual and let Temple back into the game, where late in the 4th temple takes first lead and pulls out the W... Herman and Church are unreal though!

I will stick with my earlier prediction that Temple will frustrate and confuse Grace early and often and win with a margin of ten or more.

Grace is much like Temple in that they return most of their starters from last year. It has to be the best rivalry game in any class in Chattanooga tonight.

I will stick with my earlier prediction that Temple will frustrate and confuse Grace early and often and win with a margin of ten or more.

Grace is much like Temple in that they return most of their starters from last year. It has to be the best rivalry game in any class in Chattanooga tonight.

If you look at both starting 5 and bench players Grace is stronger. The only guy Temple has that is better is Sexton...the other 4 starters Grace is stronger matchup. But of course you have the obvious inconsistency of the solid athletes Grace has. You can watch one game and say they are definitely the top team in the state, in which they should be. Then you have another game where they don't click and play as a team and they lose games they shouldn't. On paper Grace is obviously the stronger team, but paper don't win ball games.

If you look at both starting 5 and bench players Grace is stronger. The only guy Temple has that is better is Sexton...the other 4 starters Grace is stronger matchup. But of course you have the obvious inconsistency of the solid athletes Grace has. You can watch one game and say they are definitely the top team in the state, in which they should be. Then you have another game where they don't click and play as a team and they lose games they shouldn't. On paper Grace is obviously the stronger team, but paper don't win ball games.

I think Grace may be slightly more talented, but that's all. Here's how I match them up:

Shaughnessy/Johnson Give Shaughnessy the edge based on shot blocking, rebounds, and hustle

Hermann/Sexton Both great scorers but Sexton makes others better. Edge to Sexton

Andrews/Church Haven't seen Church this year, but based on last year pretty equal

Harper/Kemp Haven't seen Harper, but Kemp's playing awfully well in all areas.

Schley/Peterson Haven't seen Schley. Peterson is very athletic by not contributing much yet.

My pick is Temple by 12.

I think Grace may be slightly more talented, but that's all. Here's how I match them up:

Shaughnessy/Johnson Give Shaughnessy the edge based on shot blocking, rebounds, and hustle

Hermann/Sexton Both great scorers but Sexton makes others better. Edge to Sexton

Andrews/Church Haven't seen Church this year, but based on last year pretty equal

Schley/Peterson Haven't seen Schley. Peterson is very athletic by not contributing much yet.

My pick is Temple by 12.

Dadof4 recruits,

How can you make a prediciton? You state that you haven't seen any of them play? I question how much you have upstairs sometimes.

My pick is Temple by 12.

I would have to give Harper edge over Kemp. Kemp is a shooter and Harper isn't as much of one. But Harper is a better athlete and much quicker. He has great handling skills and shares the ball well. I'd put him above Kemp just cuz he is the better athlete. Church is playing pretty well this year, he is hitting the 3 pretty well. As far as score, I'm going with Grace but it just depends on which team is going to play.