CPA @ East Lit.

matt610

Game is Tues. Jan. 13 @ East Lit.

CPA beat Pearl-Cohn last night, but the big story was DL falling to East Lit. at the buzzer, a few days after DL beat CPA for the first time since the '06-'07 season. I saw the box score and it looked like they were able to get it done with very balanced scoring with 8 players scoring and the high-point man with 10. East Lit. finished 2nd to last in the district last year if I remember correctly, so their early success this season is quite surprising. CPA beat East Lit. 67-19 in their first game last year, and I have not seen East Lit. yet this season. I know that they didn't graduate anyone, but can someone who has seen them this year comment on how they've been successful and how they were able to beat DL?

Interesting note from last night's CPA-Pearl-Cohn game: There was a sophomore starter for PC who could not have been 5 feet tall. The kid looked like he belonged in a 5th grade game, but despite his tiny stature, he was one of their best players. He hit a couple 3's on CPA and had a few behind the back passes that drew awes from the crowd. He had the CPA fan section cheering for him and was incredible to watch. Has anybody else seen him play or know more about this kid because I was really impressed with him and that a kid of his stature could perform so well on the high school level. The Tennessean needs to do a story on him.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the kid that plays for Pearl Cohn is named BJ Wilson and he is every bit of 4'11". Honestly, my 5th grader is bigger than he is and he is a 10th grader! When that kid actually goes thru puberty and grows he could be a nice player. You can't help but root for a kid that plays that hard despite so many obstacles on a simply wretched team. I would be willing to bet that there isn't a smaller starting player in the state at any classification than this kid.

Game is Tues. Jan. 13 @ East Lit.

CPA beat Pearl-Cohn last night, but the big story was DL falling to East Lit. at the buzzer, a few days after DL beat CPA for the first time since the '06-'07 season. I saw the box score and it looked like they were able to get it done with very balanced scoring with 8 players scoring and the high-point man with 10. East Lit. finished 2nd to last in the district last year if I remember correctly, so their early success this season is quite surprising. CPA beat East Lit. 67-19 in their first game last year, and I have not seen East Lit. yet this season. I know that they didn't graduate anyone, but can someone who has seen them this year comment on how they've been successful and how they were able to beat DL?

East Lit. had a great game. Very balanced. BUT (and this is not intended to take away anything from EL - they won) against East Lit. for DL: Evan Webb, starter - out, maybe for the season; Blake Bell, starter - out, concussion last week; Trevor Hunt, starter - stomach virus and vomited all night the night before, but played (he looked like death on a cracker); Dallon Hudson, starter now that Webb is out - high ankle sprain (you should see it, it's a gross purple and black) but played, no lateral movement or push; Matthew Powell - first or second off the bench all season - went down with a sprained ankle in the first half, but came back and played. Again, nothing taken away from EL, they played a great game. But, DL was far, far from full strength. Looking forward to second meeting.

Not sure the winner of CPA and East Lit. is in the driver's seat unless DL loses to PC. DL still has the win over CPA. Just a thought.

Doctorno, you forgot that East Lit played the game without its top two post players Aaron Booker and Carlos Partee. Booker was out with an ankle sprain and Partee had strep throat. The Eagles only dressed out 12. Part of the game. Survive and adapt.

The real question is why didn't DL foul on the inbounds play with 6 seconds left? You still had two to give to get to the bonus. Instead you let Calvin take the ball into the lane and beat you. I'm pretty sure McPherson wanted them to foul.

Also, I was shocked that the CPA-Pearl Cohn score was as close as it was. East Lit beat Pearl by 42 on Tuesday night and Pearl looked absolutely awful. It honestly didn't look like they even wanted to be there from the opening tip. Z. should have scored 50 points because they didn't dress a player over 6'1". Little B.J. starts at point for them and is maybe 4'8". He is a performing rapper in his free time. Our 5'3" point looked like Godzilla beside him.

The bottom line is that every night is game night. You either show up and get the job done or not. It doesn't matter who you have playing and who you don't. The best team on THAT NIGHT wins and it may not be the same from day to day. On paper, CPA should walk away with this district. However, they have suffered an injury to an important player for them and they need someone else to step up and take up the slack. Lipscomb needs the same. So does Eas Lit. We tell our kids every day to take advantage of the situation given to you and rise to the occasion. Step up or step aside.

Good luck to all of 9AA. Four games down, ten to go.

Doctorno, you forgot that East Lit played the game without its top two post players Aaron Booker and Carlos Partee. Booker was out with an ankle sprain and Partee had strep throat. The Eagles only dressed out 12. Part of the game. Survive and adapt.

The real question is why didn't DL foul on the inbounds play with 6 seconds left? You still had two to give to get to the bonus. Instead you let Calvin take the ball into the lane and beat you. I'm pretty sure McPherson wanted them to foul.

Also, I was shocked that the CPA-Pearl Cohn score was as close as it was. East Lit beat Pearl by 42 on Tuesday night and Pearl looked absolutely awful. It honestly didn't look like they even wanted to be there from the opening tip. Z. should have scored 50 points because they didn't dress a player over 6'1". Little B.J. starts at point for them and is maybe 4'8". He is a performing rapper in his free time. Our 5'3" point looked like Godzilla beside him.

The bottom line is that every night is game night. You either show up and get the job done or not. It doesn't matter who you have playing and who you don't. The best team on THAT NIGHT wins and it may not be the same from day to day. On paper, CPA should walk away with this district. However, they have suffered an injury to an important player for them and they need someone else to step up and take up the slack. Lipscomb needs the same. So does Eas Lit. We tell our kids every day to take advantage of the situation given to you and rise to the occasion. Step up or step aside.

Coach McPherson did tell the players to foul. He even showed them how. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> For whatever reason, they didn't.

Again, not taking anything away from East Lit. They played a great game (and, no, I didn't know they were missing players - 12 dressed guys looked like a pretty full team to me). All I was pointing out was that DL was far from full strength. From the sounds of it, EL may have been too. No argument that the players playing have to step up.

If DL wasn't at full strength and EL wasn't at full strength, then the next time they play it should be another great game. Get your tickets early - it will be a barn burner. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Best of luck.

Good post. There are " if's and but's" in every game some are misfortune and some are self inflicted. You as a team must be able to overcome.

CPA looked really good offensively in their 62-54 win tonight over a very talented East Lit. team., who was MUCH improved from last year. CPA did this despite having 25 turn-overs. Z Mason was a beast inside with 24, and Hunter Miller found his shot from the field as well as the free throw line with 19 on the night despite being in foul trouble for most of the 2nd half. Take away the turnovers, and CPA, for possibly the first time this year, looked much like the team that went to state last season. CPA is looking forward to adding Anderson back to the lineup whenever that may be, and is now back in control of their own destiny in the district. David Lipscomb comes to visit CPA on Jan. 20th, and if it's anything like the last 8 or so games they've played against each other, it'll be a good'un!

CPA wins a key game tonight against a very tough East Lit. team that caused most of CPAs 25 turnovers with very sticky defense and tough double teams. East Lit. also shot the ball very well from downtown but.....to no avail against a Z Mason who came to play tonight. No one there to stop him unless you triple team him or tackle him. Hunter Miller was also excellent even while being triple teamed and mugged most of the night. But.......credit to a tough East Lit team who will win a lot of games this year. They don't have a star but they go at least 8 or 9 deep with very little difference in talent. Huge threes from #23 on East Lit.

CPA is clearly still searching a consistent lineup without David Anderson but the upperclassmen came to play in the second half with solid play from Will Chapman and Corbin Taylor. Big free throws from both and a huge three from Chapman at a key moment. Solid play from freshmen Taylor Akers who will could challenge to man the CPA point next year.

CPA is still the team to beat and will likely advance to "State" if they can get Anderson back in the lineup but 9AA should beware of East Lit. They'll press you the whole time and create havoc. You better be able to handle the ball.