Tri-County Seven

krichunaka

Just like zAZa90, just like The Highlander; just like coachh17; like all of us; I want, more

than anything, for my favorite team to do well. That said, it's not at all difficult to view

these contests, tactically and technically, from an unbiased perspective.

So, tactfully, technically, the game was a mess. The mauling at Cloudland was very sad

to watch.

Physically, there have been injuries: Chelsea Anderson, Taylor Byars, Danielle Jones.

They'll heal, and Jones and Byars will come back even better; in fact, Jones played

several minutes last night. Anderson, a senior, will not play again, but her injuries will

mend, and she'll move on to better things.

And, to clarify, the alleged "lack of effort" on my part, is much more than just, the girls

not trying. In fact, the effort in the first quarter, and part of the second, was inspiring. But

at some point there was a shutdown. And thus, Emotion Health becomes the bigger concern.

Something is askew. Something is very, very wrong at Unaka.

And though there's blame-enough to go around, for certain, it's Not the players fault.

They are much better than what we've seen this season.

And, they deserved a better fate.

As for Kenenth Chambers, he will coach again. A big part of his decision process is

geographical. Where he might best fit, I have no idea. All I know is, there have been

several inquiries, which is not all that surprising. He's a very capable coach.

And, he also has an incredible record as a softball coach.

Just some thoughts.

Krichunaka, this is not a poke at you, the more this stuff comes up, the more damage is done, not only for the girls but the coach (current and past). Not trying to start anything, but who are the inquiries? Who are your sources?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UNICOI COUNTY V/S SOUTH GREENE AND 2 VERY DISAPPOINTING WHISTLES

WELL YOU CAN BLAME IT ON ALOT OF THINGS IF WE HAD DONE THIS AND IF WE HAD DONE THAT ....WE WERE AHEAD OF THEM A COUPLE OF TIMES ,BUT WHERE I FELT LIKE WE WERE AHEAD THE MOST CLASS. OUR GIRLS ATTITUDES WAS WAY GREATER THAN THERE PLAYERS AND THERE FANS AS WELL. LOW CLASS THEY SHOWED BOTH THE BOYS AND GIRLS MAYBE WORSE THAN HAPPY VALLEY SHOWED IN THE LITTLE TOURNEY THEY HAD .

ALI AND IVORY PLAYED WELL UNDERNEATH WHEN THEY GOT THE BALL . S.G IS GREAT AT STEALING THE BALL AND REAL GOOD AT TRAPPING YOUNG PLAYERS. WHITNEY AND ALI BOTH FOULED OUT . THE REST LOOKED GOOD , AND WE ARE VERY PROUD OF THE FIGHT THEY SHOWED .

IT WAS A HEARTBREAKER . YOU FEEL LIKE YOU WANT TO BLAME , CUSS,AND KICK SOMEBODIES OR SOMETHING BUT,IT,S ALL IN THE GAME RIGHT.. SO CLASS ,INTEGRITY AND SPORTSMANSHIP GOES A LONG WAY ... AT LEAST THAT IS WHAT SHE TELLS ME EVERY GAME HA HA

And to think, the Lady Blue Devils were at home, where they took South Greene

down to a four-point, bitter end. But, somehow, someway, we expected those

beloved Creekers to make a game of it.

Where to start? The obvious, overall beat-down is all-entailing. However there are

a few things where better effort could've made this a much more competive game:

Boxing out. Anybody can box out. And with respect to the great performance by

Cloudland, the Lady Rangers did little-to-nothing under the boards. Board-play is

not complicated. Sure, there are tricks to the trade, so to speak, but rebounding is

a war of wills. And, if Unaka had a pregame advantage, anywhere, it was in the

paint.

We've known for years now, that Shellie McKinney has, and always will, battle from

start to finish. Last night she and Brittany Reece, who, played the best we've seen

her play, destroyed Unaka under the glass.

Perimeter Defense. As repeatedly stated by The King himself, the Lady Highlanders

MUST hit the Three to win. News Flash, Lady Rangers: All of them can hit the Three!

So, the Lady Rangers didn't guard the perimeter, and they didn't box out. Those are

the things that better effort can significantly change.

There's much more to the Roan Mountain fiasco, but the essense of last night's loss

was an apparent lack of effort. The Lady Rangers are struggling, physically, and sadder

still, emotionally.

We've witnessed, first hand, the affect of the "change in direction." Unfortunately, the

result has, to date, evolved into a downward spiral.

Again, the loss of Taylor Byars is huge. And though her absence has created opportunity

for some of the younger players, there's no true measure of her court-presence.

Chensie Cox and Tayler Nidiffer both played aggressively, and with time, both will help

greatly. Kayla Wilson saw several minutes, and continues to improve.

But last night's spotlight shone directly on Cloudland. Jordi Miller was hitting from a mile

away, and we saw a couple nice, mid-range jumpers, which bodes very well for tournament

time, when many a gunner has trouble hitting from long-range.

Brooke Hughes hit a couple bombs; B. J. had her usual assortment of plays. Sydnie

Buchanan is still Miss Reliable.

And, the younger players could be at least as successful as the current starters. The future

looks bright on the mountain.

Elizabethton had a good week. They played well against Unicoi and South Greene and I think the home court decided both of those games. South Greene will be in for another fight with Etown when they come to our house. Likewise, the LAdy Devils will be looking to avenge their loss to the Cyclones when they go to Erwin. Its not easy to win on the road in the conference, especially between teams of this caliber. So the team that can win on the opposing teams court will probably come in first.

GO CYCLONES!!!

YES--GOOD LUCK I HOPE YOU CAN TAKE IT TO THE BOARDS AGAINST S.G. AT HOME .. WE WILL HAVE TO TRAVEL AND THAT IS ALWAYS FUN DOWN THERE.. IT,S A TOUGH 7 NO MATTER WHERE YOUR AT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sad, isn't it? We really feel for the seniors on this team. Their frustrations were obvious. Like krich said, suffering emotionally. So, my question is, what did this 'different direction' really do to the young ladies on the creek?

Highlander, it is sad. Soooooooooo many people getting such pleasure out of watching the Lady Rangers suffer. The MOST suprising aspect is WHO! To think, these poor girls and parents don't even know where it's comming from. To be led in such a direction by posters, so called fans(of the program), "caring ex-coachES", and even people who "want the job". To answer your question concerning "direction", I would have to say, until the PLAYERS(first), PARENTS and TRUE fans realise where their TRUE frustrations and TRUE emotional suffering is REALLY comming from(weather they want to admit it or not). The direction will be the same. Sad, isn't it!!!!!

Krichunaka, this is not a poke at you, the more this stuff comes up, the more damage is done, not only for the girls but the coach (current and past). Not trying to start anything, but who are the inquiries? Who are your sources?

Thanks for the advice. And for not poking. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Is is not my intent to highlight the negative. There's plenty of grief and strife...

with our economy, wars, sickness and famine, the bailouts/ripoffs, having close

friends and relatives facing near-certain, terminal illness, etc., so our little Seven

thang is way down the priority scale. Nothing all that serious.

However, last night's game (in proper, sports-fan perspective, of course) was very

sad. To that length, it's interesting that a couple prominent and knowledgeable

Cloudland fans are (almost) lamenting the apparent breakdown. It is what it is.

And it's multi-faceted. Of course, the injuries have been well-documented. That's part

of it, but any well-versed fan who has seen Taylor Byars play would attest to her importance

to this team, to the significance of losing her for the season.

And it's happened before: Three seasons ago, Sallee Taylor suffered the first of two

serious injuries. Her foot/ankle was broken, which led to reconstructive surgery, then

rehab. The very next season she tore her ACL. With her healthy, I have little doubt that

Unaka would have returned to Murfreesboro. Megan Johnson's last-second, District One-A

tournament heroics got the Lady Rangers a good Regional seed, but Kelly Oliver's red hot

Lady Bulldogs eliminated an outstanding Cloudland team, then put Unaka on the road for

substate, and the resulting loss. The point being, at our level of play, one major injury

can have catastrophic consequences.

There's still time to get much better. The effort at Happy Valley is very encouraging, so hopefully,

the Roan Mountain experience is an outlier.

But exclusive of what I think or say, this stuff is up and running. The lines are hot. It's rampant.

And, of course, dialogue is a most-precious Right, thus, the wonderful irony: There really is no

"Last Word."

Thanks for the advice. And for not poking. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Is is not my intent to highlight the negative. There's plenty of grief and strife...

with our economy, wars, sickness and famine, the bailouts/ripoffs, having close

friends and relatives facing near-certain, terminal illness, etc., so our little Seven

thang is way down the priority scale. Nothing all that serious.

However, last night's game (in proper, sports-fan perspective, of course) was very

sad. To that length, it's interesting that a couple prominent and knowledgeable

Cloudland fans are (almost) lementing the apparent breakdown. It is what it is.

And it's multi-faceted. Of course, the injuries have been well-documented. That's part

of it, but any well-versed fan who has seen Taylor Byars play would attest to her importance

to this team, to the significance of losing her for the season.

And it's happened before: Three seasons ago, Sallee Taylor suffered the first of two

serious injuries. Her foot/ankle was broken, which led to reconstructive surgery, then

rehab. The very next season she tore her ACL. With her healthy, I have little doubt that

Unaka would have returned to Murfreesboro. Megan Johnson's last-second, District One-A

tournament heroics got the Lady Rangers a good Regional seed, but Kelly Oliver's red hot

Lady Bulldogs eliminated an outstanding Cloudland team, then put Unaka on the road for

substate, and the resulting loss. The point being, at our level of play, one major injury

can have catastrophic consequences.

There's still time to get much better. The effort at Happy Valley is very encouraging, so hopefully,

the Roan Mountain experience is an outlier.

But exclusive of what I think or say, this stuff is up and running. The lines are hot. It's rampant.

And, of course, dialogue is a most-precious Right, thus, the wonderful irony: There really is no

"Last Word."

That very well could have been, The Last Word, but I just don't see it taking place on "this topic". Thus making you correct, by the way which makes me correct also(posters ect.....)(irony)? you were also correct in your first post(playing hard or lack there of) in my opinion.

Of course I must get my two cents (well maybe worth about half of that in today's economy) in. First I'm not sure Unaka's game at Happy Valley was that encouraging. Sure it was a close game but Happy Valley didn't play very well at all. Effort wise, and that is directed more towards Happy Valley than Unaka. Unaka played an ok game. I'm not sure they can play much better. Yes, they have some kids that could be decent players but if they haven't developed by now they will not develop this year. There is some hope for the future. They, Unaka, are just not that talented. The only way they compete would be with maximum effort and that doesn't seem to be given every night. Coach Chambers would not make a big difference with this team given the injuries they have gone through. They might be a little more comfortable with the offense or defense because they had run it in the years past but they would not be contender for the conference. I must agree with some of the earlier post that Coach Chambers should let this team go. I'm sure he thinks he is doing what's best for them by showing his support by being at all the games but this is not his team any more. Unaka said they didn't want him anymore and that is it. Why would he want to go where he is not wanted? I hope he is not doing this just to keep the team spilit or just to watch them not be successful so he can feel a little justification. I really don't think this is the reason but one never knows. The more the team is reminded of what happened the more they will not concentrate on the task at hand. I have stated before the powers to be in Carter County do some really, well let's say not very smart things, but what is done is done and each has to go on.

Seems to me that the people who do care should tell these certain individuals that if they really want the team to succeed they should stay away. I would say that they would continue coming to the games anyway because they only worry about themselves and the worst the team does the better they look. Truly a sad world that we live in.

For my part, I try to see as many of the Seven teams (and the three most-relevant

Greeneville schools) in as many different matchups as possible. My original plan

Tuesday night was to go to Erwin, but surprisingly enough, the weather reports from

there were even more foreboding than in Roan Mountain. Rest assured I'll go to the

game that has the most interest to me. I gain nothing if a particular team wins.

Or loses.

I have also attended several games with Coach Chambers at various venues, and in most

cases, we attended non-Seven games. For instance, we saw a couple-dozen great matchups

at Hal Henard, primarily because we wanted to see Jasmine Hassell, Taylor Hall, Lauren Avant,

Sydney Goins, Bailie Roberts; several others. Watching the best-in-state allows for clearer

evaluations/comparisons when writing to colleges or universities.

Screenandroll,

Where have you been? After all these years, you show up on Wednesday night?! And, any

idea what's up with Coachh17?

I agree that Unaka is not "that talented," just like Happy Valley is not that talented. The

advantages for Happy Valley over Unaka are depth and continuity. Every Seven team is one

key injury, illness, dismissal from mediocrity.

For my part, I try to see as many of the Seven teams (and the three most-relevant

Greeneville schools) in as many different matchups as possible. My original plan

Tuesday night was to go to Erwin, but surprisingly enough, the weather reports from

there were even more foreboding than in Roan Mountain. Rest assured I'll go to the

game that has the most interest to me. I gain nothing if a particular team wins.

Or loses.

I have also attended several games with Coach Chambers at various venues, and in most

cases, we attended non-Seven games. For instance, we saw a couple-dozen great matchups

at Hal Henard, primarily because we wanted to see Jasmine Hassell, Taylor Hall, Lauren Avant,

Sydney Goins, Bailie Roberts; several others. Watching the best-in-state allows for clearer

evaluations/comparisons when writing to colleges or universities.

Screenandroll,

Where have you been? After all these years, you show up on Wednesday night?! And, any

idea what's up with Coachh17?

I agree that Unaka is not "that talented," just like Happy Valley is not that talented. The

advantages for Happy Valley over Unaka are depth and continuity. Every Seven team is one

key injury, illness, dismissal from mediocrity.

Krich, been out of the loop for a couple of weeks. I do agree that both Unaka and Happy Valley are not overly talented. HV has the better goto player in Bowling while I do believe Unaka is a little more athletic counting all the positions. Unaka should be better at the post but it was about the same in the games I've seen. You are correct (see what being away does to me) in probably the biggest difference in the two teams is depth. HV can bring some off the bench that gives them a little boost in different areas and the fact that HV does have a goto player that can score, pass and take care of the ball. About Coachh, you have known him for many years, have you ever been able to figure him out? Probably not. Looking forward to catching up on all the goings on.

About Coach Chambers, have you talked to him about his going to the games might have a negative effect on the girls? I'm not asking you to reveal or talk about your private conversations just wondering if anyone that is close to him had brought this to his attention, the fact it could be making it worse. What do you think? Is his presence a benefit, a hinder or really doesn't make any difference at all? What would you do if you were him? Just wondering what a great mind like yours would do in this situation. If it was me I would not go to the games. I would still want to support the girls anyway I could but being a distraction at the game would not be one of them. I would try to make them understand that by not being there was in no way a lack of support for them but make them realize they just needed to play, play hard and do the very best they could.

My Last Post:

I'm fed up. Fed up with the animosity emanating from this forum. Over the course of the last few years, I've written a number of posts, nearly all on the Cloudland Lady Highlanders. However, I've been a part of the Tri-County Seven discussions and contributed as much as my limited knowledge and abilities allow. In past years, I wrote a synopsis of each of Cloudland's games and posted in the TC-7 thread. Last year, I decided to stop hijacking Kim's thread and I posted the game comments in a Cloudland Thread. Strangely, yet predictably, I had someone actually remark to me that I had a lot of gall to think our games deserved their own thread. Since I posted for enjoyment, and to support and boost our girls, I was taken aback. For that reason, and for the negative turn the forum was taking, I just stopped posting altogether. Several rather more articulate and knowledgeable people have also ceased participating here for similar reasons.

I have refrained this year from posting for the most part, only answering direct questions. In the future, I'm not sure I will even read the message forums. The scoreboard and strength rankings plus the schedules for the respective schools we are playing can provide all I desire to know about our upcoming opponents.

I would like to ask everyone to remember something, and to please try to accomplish one task for me. I'll get to both in a moment.

First, I'd like to tell you a little about my perspective on local basketball, and why I even care. Yes, I'm a Highlander fan. Some even call me the Voice of the Highlanders. And while I live and work in Roan Mountain, and my children attend school and play for Cloudland, I have deep roots in Carter County and East Tennessee.

For well over a decade, my children and I have been a part of basketball in East Tennessee. I coached in Youth Club, and eventually was elected President of the Roan Mountain Youth Club. As a part of that group, and then in school ball, my kids have played against and made friends with others from every school in the county. At least a couple of the girls from Unaka have spent time in my home, and one stayed with my daughter at the Lady Vols Basketball Camp. I have family at Unaka, and at least one very special friend playing for them now. At the Cloudland/Unaka game, I cheered just as hard when they scored as when mine scored.

Incidentally, at that game I looked across the gym and saw a group of Elizabethton's former players. During the boy's game, several of Cloudland's players sat intermingled with them, laughing and flirting with the boys. Together, as friends.

At Happy Valley, a former coworker's daughter is one of my favorite players. I've watched her develop from an awkward little girl that tried sooooo hard, into a beautiful talented young lady. No other player I've seen has any more determination than she. We have competed hard against them for years, but we still cheer them on when they play a non-county foe.

The Hampton girls have been strong competitors since grade school youth club. Yet I follow their progress and cheer their successes and bemoan their losses just as they do. Unless they are playing Cloudland of course. Coach Tolley is a friend, as is his wife, by the way a Cloudland teacher.

I call Ken Chambers, Matt Birchfield, Leon Tolley, Kelley Oliver, Len Dugger and several others friends and acquaintances. Dana Hill at HVMS asked me to leave his practice when I walked in unannounced. We competed strongly in middle school! He did it with a smile on his face, I should add.

In every post I've made, I have made a determined effort to only post positive comments. Always. Re-read my old game coverage. I had a positive comment about every player. If they played poorly, I would mention their hustle. If they shot badly, I discussed their great defense. Keep in mind that this forum is not limited to the adults. Believe it or not, the players read this as well.

It isn't, or shouldn't, be all about basketball. These children will live and work together for the rest of their lives. Don't think that they will not go on to college and/or work and never associate with anyone from The Enemy Community!

I have friends and family in every corner of Carter County. I bet you do too. Yes, I support Cloudland before anyone else, and you should continue to boost your chosen affiliation as well. Just don't do it to the detriment of either players, fans, or coaches at another school. Strain to keep your posts upbeat and positive. The negativity is very off-putting and does nothing to benefit anyone. Do I always accomplish my goal of impartiality and perfect sportsmanship? No, just ask at least one local coach! But I try.

This thought of only writing positive remarks is what I ask you to remember before you hit the "Add Reply" button. If a post will not benefit your team, or someone else, don't make it. The task I want you to accept is to turn this forum, and in particular Kim's wonderful Tri-County Seven thread, into a place to celebrate the accomplishments of our area athletes. This isn't the place to attack another poster, another team, and certainly NEVER a player. These are children, and they should be nurtured, protected, and encouraged. If you can't do that, please either leave the online community, or at least stop posting.

The Highlander

Highlander, I'm not sure who or what has been said or done to you. I have always enjoyed your posts on here about the Lady Highlanders. If you worry too much about what other people say or do then you are heading down a road filled with many down moments. I do, and I mean really wish everything in this world could be positive but that is not realistic. Negative things happen everyday. Negative things are said on this site and even in this thread. But I truly believe for the most part everyone does not say negative things to hurt someone but just to express their viewpoint. If we do not teach our children, players, and even ourselves to deal with negative comments or actions then we do them and ourselves an injustice. They will face these throughout their lives. Dealing with not only positive remarks but also negative ones should be taught to each and everyone. We live in a society today where every little remark seems to be monitored and examined by everyone. I'm not condoning remarks made out of anger or just said to try to hurt someone in some way but we must accept the fact that things do go wrong and we must learn to deal with them. How we handle bad situations will determine our own character. It is not hard to handle things when everything is going good. When we shelter these players from all negative things then we are not teaching them about life. Constructive critisism can be very helpful if done and excepted in the right manner. Just because someone says something negative about you doesn't for one mean it is true and for two doesn't make you a bad person. You have to listen to the people you trust and forget about the rest. No one can please everyone. No player can please everyone that watches them play. They must first, please themselves with their play and second please their coach because they are the ones that matter the most. They are the two that knows best what needs to be done. We as game watchers sometimes feel we know better and express ourselves by telling what we would do. Nothing wrong with that. It has it's place. If you have kids still playing then tell them to play because they love the game, play for themselves and do exactly what the coach says because the coach is the one that determines playing time. And most kids are happy if they are playing. Again Highlander, if you want to post then post. Post the way you want to post. We respect that but you must also respect the way other people want to post also. You will continue to see some negative remarks on this thread, can't change that. But don't let anyone keep you from doing what you want to do.