Hampton Basketball

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I can read, it looks like the Dawgs want to make some changes. Let's look at a couple of things:

1) Post players have to be the most important part of a team... especially a team as united as the dogs (I shouldn't have to say this, but if you can't sense the sarcasm in the previous statement, don't read any further cause you won't get it). If I were a post player on the team, I would create a username, get on the board and suggest my opinion about how things should really be, if it hasn't been done already.... or has it (aka. every post on this topic).

2) Since the guards are scoring all 85% of the points in every game, it seems to me that the other 15% could be taken up by anybody (maybe even another guard). Since Hampton has the best post player in East Tennessee (yeah, that's what you said "usernameisalreadytaken"), I would fight for my 15% of the points somewhere else. Anybody who knows basketball knows that you gotta have a post game to get down the road.... come on guys!

3) If the coaches could see that the post players everywhere else are getting their points and minutes, they would see that the post game is oh so imperative. But, with that in mind, be different and make the change and go small with the lineup like the Highlanders. I mean, Coach Carp knows how to do it at Cloudland, shouldn't the Bulldogs be able to do the same? (Since the blood bleeds blue at both places)

Think about it....

I don't think the Dawgs want to make any changes at all. Why would they? They are winning!!! They have beaten EVERY team that they were supposed to and have pulled off a couple of games that could be considered upsets. They've lost to Tennesee High, 2 times to Unicoi, 2 times to Johnson Co., once to Elizabethton, and twice in Cherryville. Is there any of those games you would consider the Dawgs to be the favorite? If they were losing to teams that they should drill like Providence, North Greene, and Unaka, I could see why people would be complaining. But they are not. They've had some quality wins against Sullivan South, Unaka by 19 without Andrews, at Chuckey Doak, at University High without Hill or Andrews inside, Harriman, Greenback, Happy Valley, and Avery Co. Almost all of those wins were by 9-20 points, so it isn't exactly like the Dawgs have been squeaking by these teams either. Their record looks very impressive to me considering their 4 leading scorers are sophmores...

There is no way the 2 guards score 85% of the points. That's ridiculous. I agree that you have to have a post game to get down the road. I've been saying that all year. Everybody just to needs to give Hampton's post player some time to develop. He will be fine by the time he is a senior. As for your grand plan about the small lineup, I do not know if the Dawgs could go any smaller. They already play the 5'10" Roberson at the 4. I don't know how much smaller they can get...

First to the post players at Hampton, Thats the nature of the game.(every where else at least) You rebound, run down the floor(repeatedly), you defend, and you take very few shots(except off. rebounds), with very little if any credit.(IF YOU PLAY FOR HAMPTON) Coach White plays his own way, and thats HIS way. Who can argue with his success? I'm sure if you choose another path, White will fill the void(may very well be with another guard) if they are scoring 85% of the points, it may need to be looked at anyway(they WILL move on). Kuriousgeorge, funny you typed about Carpenter, every thing I'm hearing is "He's the next man" at Hampton. I even heard this at the Cloudland/ Unaka game. This came from Cloudland fans/supporters. Anyone else hearing this?

Hampton??™s post players are going to be fine. It??™s just taking them a little longer to develop because they are playing in the post which is difficult to do at a young age. It is much easier for a young guard to come in and have an impact right away. A lot of it is due to the post players having to be physical and using their strength against an older and usually stronger defender and a guard really doesn??™t really have to worry about being physical with a stronger older player as much as the post does. And your right, you can??™t argue with our success. Our team is playing pretty well right now and is looking good going into the conference part of our schedule. The statement ???Hampton??™s guards are scoring 85 % of their points??? is crazy. It??™s simply not true and doesn??™t mathematically add up but you??™re a creeker so I??™m not going to be surprised if you don??™t understand what that means. Carpenter to Hampton? I think that is just a bunch of creeker chatter. I don??™t see that job being promised to anyone when Coach White is at the helm and plans to stay for the next few years.

GO BULLDOGS!!!!!!

Well Mr. username with this statement you sound like you do not know what you are talking about. Have you ever played basketball. These guards are good they know what they are doing. When they get stopped they know what to do with the ball. Now to the post situation, is not hurt. His pride might be hurt because he let a guy half his size push him around. ONE of the reasons that he does not get the ball is because he does not work hard enough to get the ball.The SECOND reason is because when he does get the ball he does not make a good enough move to score. And he does not need to quit, you are saying that he does THAT IS THE STUPIDEST THING THAT I HAVE EVER HEARD. Quiting is the easy way out and once he starts working harder for the ball and if they still do not get him the ball he needs to talk to the guards and if that does not work I know that the coaches will get on them. and GOD does give talent, but he will help people that help that help their self.

DAWG for LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, well, well! I guess sitting on the Bulldog bench for 4 years makes you an authority doesn't it Lucas A?? I have sit and watched and played and forgot more basketball than you ever will. Talk about wet behind the ears...you don't have a clue what it takes to play team ball! It takes EVERYBODY WORKING TOGETHER! That includes the guards, the wings and the post players. AND ALSO THE COACHES (including some of you so called volunteers or want to be's). It takes working the ball around and yes getting the ball inside! A good post game will free up your outside game. For starters, there is NO DISCIPLINE on this team. Hughes and Ward tell the coaches what to do. That needs to stop JERRY! All "some" of the players care about is who scored the most! And it's all about getting their picture in the paper. JERRY, take control of this team and your coaching staff or you will have an early exit from the tournament! And by the way, Jerry you don't have to prove anything to all the "DOG" fans, why do you put yourself thru all the agony with your back. Ever thought about giving up the reigns and enjoying retirement? After all it's hard to teach an old dawg new tricks...GOD BLESS.

Well, well, well! I guess sitting on the Bulldog bench for 4 years makes you an authority doesn't it Lucas A?? I have sit and watched and played and forgot more basketball than you ever will. Talk about wet behind the ears...you don't have a clue what it takes to play team ball! It takes EVERYBODY WORKING TOGETHER! That includes the guards, the wings and the post players. AND ALSO THE COACHES (including some of you so called volunteers or want to be's). It takes working the ball around and yes getting the ball inside! A good post game will free up your outside game. For starters, there is NO DISCIPLINE on this team. Hughes and Ward tell the coaches what to do. That needs to stop JERRY! All "some" of the players care about is who scored the most! And it's all about getting their picture in the paper. JERRY, take control of this team and your coaching staff or you will have an early exit from the tournament! And by the way, Jerry you don't have to prove anything to all the "DOG" fans, why do you put yourself thru all the agony with your back. Ever thought about giving up the reigns and enjoying retirement? After all it's hard to teach an old dawg new tricks...GOD BLESS.

Bulldogblue05, I think you and BULLDOGFANFORLIFE need to talk!(type) I don't think where I'm from has anything to do with this mess. By the way, READ my post, I was supporting coach White. But to be quite honest, it looks like theres trouble in Hampton.

But to be quite honest, it looks like theres trouble in Hampton.

The only trouble I see is in the stands with parents and people who think they know what they are talking about. It's called jealousy. I don't think there is all that much of it on the team. I think the players know who the best players are, but the parents think otherwise and turn them against each other. I'm tired of listening to all this jealous crap. If you want your kid to play more or score more, take him somewhere else. Hampton can find somebody to play with Jones, Ward, Hill and Hughes...

I like how you join for twenty minutes and think that you can come on here and bad mouth me. First of all, Dawg White does this becaues he loves it. Second of all, I could care less what you think because the coaching staff is not there to please anybody. This coaching staff was choosen because they know how to win and that is what the school wants. Jerry has control of his team and coaches, if he didnt he would have ran them off by now. AND if there is anybody that knows about team ball it is me. SON, i didnt care how many points I scored as long as HAMPTON WON. Before I came to HAMPTON i was a asst. coach at Bluefield College. I DO NO WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. and when i played i was a post player and a wing so i do not take up for any post or wing players. Because they have to work for the ball if they want it. AND IF YOU ARE WHAT YOUR NAME SAYS YOU ARE "DAWG FOR LIFE" THEN YOU WOULD NOT BE TALKING ABOUT COACH WHITE LIKE YOU ARE. Coach White and Buck Vanhuss has given this school its name. and about the new tricks son, it seams funny to me that every team around here and down the road runs the same thing Coach White runs now and 30 years ago. I think it is stupid how HAMPTON people are always trashing other HAMPTON people on here. You might think that i am doing this also, but you are wrong. I know most of these people personaly and i say it to there face and they same the same thing to me. we might fuss and complain about things but when it comes down to it we have one thing in common WE WANT TO SEE HAMPTON WIN!

DAWG FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it is stupid how HAMPTON people are always trashing other HAMPTON people on here. You might think that i am doing this also, but you are wrong. I know most of these people personaly and i say it to there face and they same the same thing to me. we might fuss and complain about things but when it comes down to it we have one thing in common WE WANT TO SEE HAMPTON WIN!

Well said. I totally agree...

I like how you join for twenty minutes and think that you can come on here and bad mouth me. First of all, Dawg White does this becaues he loves it. Second of all, I could care less what you think because the coaching staff is not there to please anybody. This coaching staff was choosen because they know how to win and that is what the school wants. Jerry has control of his team and coaches, if he didnt he would have ran them off by now. AND if there is anybody that knows about team ball it is me. SON, i didnt care how many points I scored as long as HAMPTON WON. Before I came to HAMPTON i was a asst. coach at Bluefield College. I DO NO WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. and when i played i was a post player and a wing so i do not take up for any post or wing players. Because they have to work for the ball if they want it. AND IF YOU ARE WHAT YOUR NAME SAYS YOU ARE "DAWG FOR LIFE" THEN YOU WOULD NOT BE TALKING ABOUT COACH WHITE LIKE YOU ARE. Coach White and Buck Vanhuss has given this school its name. and about the new tricks son, it seams funny to me that every team around here and down the road runs the same thing Coach White runs now and 30 years ago. I think it is stupid how HAMPTON people are always trashing other HAMPTON people on here. You might think that i am doing this also, but you are wrong. I know most of these people personaly and i say it to there face and they same the same thing to me. we might fuss and complain about things but when it comes down to it we have one thing in common WE WANT TO SEE HAMPTON WIN!

Well we go to Bluefield for a little golf scholarship and get home sick and come home to cry to mommy! Now you try to kiss up to Jerry and get to set on the bench again. WOW full circle!! I am impressed! WE ALL WANT TO SEE HAMPTON WIN!! The players on the floor know more basketball than you do!! The freshman team knows more than you do. And by the way "genius" I wasn't trashing any of the "real" coaches, I was making a suggestion to Jerry. I have a lot of respect for him, have known him long before you were ever born. I know how much pain Jerry is in. He has a severe back problem. He is also a compassionate coach...if not he wouldn't have let you sit on the bench for 4 years!! I also knew Buck Vanhuss and trust me, you wouldn't have made a good manager for Ole Buck. First of all you shouldn't get on here and trash the players on the team, so don't look for respect from them. Secondly, thats why Hampton sports is where it is today, snotty nosed "kids" trying to act like coaches. The title of "coach" isn't given to you, you have to earn it! So keep your negative comments to yourself better yet maybe I should give Jerry a call and let him know just how people are trying to tear down the team from inside. I'm sure he would be very proud!!

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG! LOL!

I'd like to say sorry about some of my previous statements, I just wish the post could get more spotlight and/or attention, so they can do for Hampton what they are capable of.

Hampton has four outstanding sophmores and will be very hard to beat when they are juniors and seniors and really now. LETS NOT TURN INTO UNAKA!!!

THIS IS A CALL OUT TO EVERY HAMPTON FAN OUT THERE. LETS JUST SUPPORT THE HAMPTON BULLDOGS AND NOT FIGHT AMONG OURSELVES.

A FAMOUS QUOTE SAYS: UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL!

God Bless and GO Bulldogs!!!

Bulldogblue05, I think you and BULLDOGFANFORLIFE need to talk!(type) I don't think where I'm from has anything to do with this mess. By the way, READ my post, I was supporting coach White. But to be quite honest, it looks like theres trouble in Hampton.

What mess are you talking about? The dawgs are winning. Sure, there are some things we need to do better but we are young and getting better every game. Some people prefer different styles of play and want changes made at every school in every sport to me it??™s a very common thing. I think people just see the great potential and talent this team has and they want to make sure that it is used in the right way and it will be. This group is going to have a very successful run and its going to be a lot of fun to watch if you??™re wearing Hampton colors.

GO BULLDOGS!!!!!!!!

Well we go to Bluefield for a little golf scholarship and get home sick and come home to cry to mommy!

For you to criticize a guy who was an all state performer at Hampton High School and earned a scholarship for golf for the first time in school history is completely ridiculous. Even if you don??™t agree with his posts it??™s still dumb to make a statement like that. There has been a lot of players from Hampton and other local schools earn scholarships and decide to come home there is no shame in that. College level athletics is not for some people and that??™s not because they couldn??™t cut it at their college. I have heard many college athletes say that it??™s not worth it. Apparently you don??™t know how hard it is to be a college student (not to mention being an athlete) if you did I don??™t think you would have made that remark. And I??™m sure bigdawg3 would be more than happy to mop the golf course with you any day of the week.