Upperman v. Livingston

up2late

There are some very good posts in this thread, and some that are rather short sighted. But let me add mine to the mix and let ya'll judge me as you feel fit:

1) The game was a tough, hard nosed game by both sides.

2) The officiating was HORRIBLE.

First half fouls

LA - 11

UHS - 8

Second Half Fouls

LA - 19

UHS - 18

Keep in mind that these are fouls ONE HALF, and include the Foul Fest at the end of the game where LA was trying to cut the lead and fouled on every possession. Until that point LA only had approx 8 fouls.

3) Chase Dunn is a tough, hardnosed ballplayer. When he has a chance to take it to the @@@@ and draw a foul, he is going to do it. And he is going to do whatever it takes to get the shot off, and hopefully in the basket. On the play where the UHS kid allegedly tried to "take him out", CD changed directions TWO times within 5 ft of the basket. (he did this on two different plays) The UHS player was doing all he could do to keep CD from getting the ball in the basket. Make him earn it at the foul line (and apparently he is not the greatest FT shooter). It was a smart play, it was the right play, and it was not a dirty play. CD ended up closer to him at the time he left the ground, actually jumping in towards the defender. CD is TRYING to draw the foul, and the defender is trying to make sure that the shot does not get off. Rough play. Not a dirty play. Im glad no one got hurt.

Just a quick side note, a rough foul on a layup and a reach to grab someones leg are two direct polar opposites when you look at the "intention" of the foul. Im not trying to throw anyone under the bus, but yes, i am trying to say that LA was not exactly free from criticism last night.

4) Did I say that the ref stunk yet? Badly infact. Both directions. They were bi-suckual.

5) Trying to interpret a NOD from a coach after a foul...........whatever. MrCoach McWilliams is not out there trying to get kids hurt. But making sure the shot did not get off is the correct play. And sometimes a kid comes up from making a foul like that and feels like he maybe should have just let the layup go. Maybe the nod meant "yeah, that was a good foul to take". Interpretations....they can go both ways. (mine is right, as always)

6) LA did not lose because they "had a bad shooting night". What causes bad shooting nights?

a) nerves

/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> defensive pressure

c) fatigue

d) defensive scheme

It was a good game. UHS Stepped up and took a game that most people thought they could not get. Congrats to them on that one. There will be at least one more meeting, Im sure there will be plenty of excitement and attitude from both sides.

Also, I asked the kid sitting next to me who's responsibility it was to let CD know how many points he needed in the second half to get his record. Her answer was "oh, Im sure he has that all in his head" The eyes rolling in her head were the funny part of the conversation!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Anyways, it was great to meet King21. I look forward to the next meeting. This is a great rivalry, and it is sure to give us another great matchup.

Good luck to the Hog-Eye nation the rest of the way, except for when you play the Bees of course!!

This opinion is strictly the opinion of GatorBill Inc, and is intended for GatorBill Inc and his audiences use only. Any other use, transmission or interpretation will be dealt with to the fulllest extent of the law. The Opinion of GatorBill Inc, does not necessarily refect the opinion of CoachT.com, its owners or subsidiaries

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The officiating crew was horrible last night, but that is not the reason LA lost the game by no means. I agree that when the Taylor kid took out Dunn on the lay-up, that should have been a Flagrant, or maybe even an automatic ejection. He done that on purpose I have no doubt. I also agree that there were multiple times that Coach McWilliams should have gotten a "T". Anyways enough of that, there will be another meeting between these two teams and it will be a different story.

When one ref knows that his partner/partners are screwing the game up, they tend to listen to the coaches just a little more than they might if they felt the game was being officiated correctly.

Just sayin.

Intentional foul. Yes.

Ejection? No.

Are we going to also eject the LA kid for grabbing an ankle and twisting?

Let's just get over it. The Taylor kid is not out there to hurt anyone. I have not been around here forever, but I have been around long enough to know that. And any good LA fan has seen enough of him to know that also.

This opinion is strictly the opinion of GatorBill Inc, and is intended for GatorBill Inc and his audiences use only. Any other use, transmission or interpretation will be dealt with to the fulllest extent of the law. The Opinion of GatorBill Inc, does not necessarily refect the opinion of CoachT.com, its owners or subsidiaries

Who called Coach Melton by Richard? I think you made the comment of maybe condoning dirty play? If you can call him Richard, then you know him on a first name basis. If you know him on a first name basis, you would also be intellectual enough to know that he does not condone dirty play. Period.

King you need to come down a notch. We all know him as Richard and we know the person & the coach both but that is beside the point

I don't know McWilliams but I think he is a good enough coach not to encourage that kind of play. As a coach you can't control every move your players make, you guide them and hope they do the right thing. When they step out of line you then you discipline them. So the question is did Richard see what player did last night? My point is you can't condemn him if he didn't see or know about it. If he does know I would bet my last dollar he took care of it.

When one ref knows that his partner/partners are screwing the game up, they tend to listen to the coaches just a little more than they might if they felt the game was being officiated correctly.

Just sayin.

Intentional foul. Yes.

Ejection? No.

Are we going to also eject the LA kid for grabbing an ankle and twisting?

Let's just get over it. The Taylor kid is not out there to hurt anyone. I have not been around here forever, but I have been around long enough to know that. And any good LA fan has seen enough of him to know that also.

I know that he is not out there to hurt someone, and I am not trying to give this kid a bad rep. But he did do it on purpose and should have paid the concequences on this particular play. I still believe that he very easily could have been ejected just because from the angle I was at, It looked like he lowered his body in the direction of Dunn's feet.

Coach Melton does a excellent job of coaching, but heaven forbid that anybody say anything about him that is not totally praising him. As far as success goes, when he wins 600+ games then we will talk about success.

I have no objection to the fact that you agree, or disagree, with Coach Melton or anyone else. My only objection was, with you insinuating, that he incourages 'dirty' play.--- Whether or not he has been successful?--- I believe his record to this point speaks for itself. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

From my angle, it looked like D went up, and T went under him, though ducking at the same time towards his feet. That's how I saw it.

Intention is the key. Did he INTEND to undercut, or hurt CD? I do not think so. It should have been an intentional, but not an ejection. I would love to see the tape on this one, because I do not believe that CD took the wisest path to the basket either.

In the heat of battle, in the very small amount of time that a person has to make a decision, and react to the movement of another player, things happen. I would say this no matter which side of the argument I was on.

Im sure the next game will be stepped up a notch on both sides.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Im sure. Also, to everyone who doesn't like D's attitude. If you were fouled like that, in a rivalry game, would you just get up and go to the line, as he did, or get in a face and have words and go from there? (i.e. Kurt Rambis) Shows just how classy the kid is. Taught well.

I would take a kid like CD on my team anytime. Hard nosed. Plays hard all the time. Quality.

I have to say that I am a little disappointed in the overall practice of walking away from a player after they get knocked to the ground. I am pointing at one player, or one team. It happens everywhere, boys and girls teams. Not enough kids are willing to help pick up their opponent these days. It doesnt mean your dont still want to kick the crap out of them on the scoreboard. These players should still be more civil between the whistles. Like I said, this is not aimed at LA or UHS. Just a general comment.