All KIL Prep Extra teams named

orangeblur

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

check the KNS

How could a kid who was nominated twice for prepxtra defensive player of the week and actually won it once be left off of all- prepxtra? Maybe one of the experts who picked this team could explain that for me. This kid was TACA allstate and led his region in tackles and he's not even 2nd team prepxtra. Congratulations to those who made it, but you've got to wonder sometimes what it takes to get selected for these things.

How could a kid who was nominated twice for prepxtra defensive player of the week and actually won it once be left off of all- prepxtra? Maybe one of the experts who picked this team could explain that for me. This kid was TACA allstate and led his region in tackles and he's not even 2nd team prepxtra. Congratulations to those who made it, but you've got to wonder sometimes what it takes to get selected for these things.

Let me quote somebody who taught several young men in knoxville for several years how to play the game,

"If you need a piece of paper to tell you who can play, you probably don't know much about the game"

no knock on the kid, but, stats, specifically tackles, can be very miss leading information. A tackle made 20 yards down field counts the same as a tackle made at the line of scrimmage on paper, but in reality, we all know it doesn't. some voters/sports writers realize this, most don't. that is why he may have made one poll but not another.

Let me quote somebody who taught several young men in knoxville for several years how to play the game,

"If you need a piece of paper to tell you who can play, you probably don't know much about the game"

no knock on the kid, but, stats, specifically tackles, can be very miss leading information. A tackle made 20 yards down field counts the same as a tackle made at the line of scrimmage on paper, but in reality, we all know it doesn't. some voters/sports writers realize this, most don't. that is why he may have made one poll but not another.

Wow. I feel so stupid now I didn't realize this before. Unless you know who I'm talking about don't make assumptions about tackles 20 yards downfield. He had 9 sacks, 16 TFL and was easily the best linebacker in the region.

uknowme-

- I have to agree with sx123 - stats are for losers (my opinion).

- I'm not sure which region your son plays in, but my son plays in reion 3-4a (for Halls). - We palyed against Maryville, and scored 7 points. We played against Central and scored 23 points, South Doyle and scored 38 points. Thus - Maryville's defense was MUCH better than either, hands down, bare none, no where close. However, according to the stats Central and South Doyle both had 4 players each with more tackles for the year than anyone on Maryville's team.

- How can anyone in their right mind think that these two teams had 8 players better than anyone on Maryville's defense? Truth is, we had many 3 and outs against Maryville(not many tackles), as did most teams. That is a sign of a good defensive player, not how many tackles he made.

- Cody McCoy made All PrepXtra from Maryville. He was by far the best linebacker in our region! I saw them all. Many - maybe 5-8 had more tackles. That means nothing. Cody sacrificed himself against us, drove himself and our lineman into the ground, and helped cause his TEAM to stop us on many three and outs. He played TEAM defense, didn't worry about stats, and got the job done. That my friend is what defense is about.

- By the way, I have no idea who McCoy's family is and would not recognize him if I saw him on the street. I just get tired of this generation of stats.

- I can't think of anyone better at LB in the prepxtra area than those listed. Maybe you can enlighten us. Three players played in the clinic bowl - can't argue about those selections (like I said, few points allowed by team defines good defenses, and good defenses are made up of good players). That leaves Cole Lail (over 300 takles in the last two years - showed what he could do on a phenominal defense last season) and Tyler Richardson (team went a few rounds in playoffs).

- Like I said, I can only speak for region 3-4a. In our region, they picked the right guy. (I saw them all) No one else was close.

uknowme-

- I'm not sure which region your son plays in, but my son plays in reion 3-4a (for Halls). - We palyed against Maryville, and scored 7 points. We played against Central and scored 23 points, South Doyle and scored 38 points. Thus - Maryville's defense was MUCH better than either, hands down, bare none, no where close. However, according to the stats Central and South Doyle both had 4 players each with more tackles for the year than anyone on Maryville's team.

- How can anyone in their right mind think that these two teams had 8 players better than anyone on Maryville's defense? Truth is, we had many 3 and outs against Maryville(not many tackles), as did most teams. That is a sign of a good defensive player, not how many tackles he made.

- Cody McCoy made All PrepXtra from Maryville. He was by far the best linebacker in our region! I saw them all. Many - maybe 5-8 had more tackles. That means nothing. Cody sacrificed himself against us, drove himself and our lineman into the ground, and helped cause his TEAM to stop us on many three and outs. He played TEAM defense, didn't worry about stats, and got the job done. That my friend is what defense is about.

- By the way, I have no idea who McCoy's family is and would not recognize him if I saw him on the street. I just get tired of this generation of stats.

- I can't think of anyone better at LB in the prepxtra area than those listed. Maybe you can enlighten us. Three players played in the clinic bowl - can't argue about those selections (like I said, few points allowed by team defines good defenses, and good defenses are made up of good players). That leaves Cole Lail (over 300 takles in the last two years - showed what he could do on a phenominal defense last season) and Tyler Richardson (team went a few rounds in playoffs).

- Like I said, I can only speak for region 3-4a. In our region, they picked the right guy. (I saw them all) No one else was close.

Winning football games is actually a sign of a winning TEAM, not individual players. The kid I'm talking about actually did play in this region, but he did not play linebacker against your Halls team. He was definitely the best linebacker in the region no question about it. I saw them all, too. You can disagree if you wish, but you are simply wrong.

Your argument is flawed. The same people that did the week to week nominations and even picked particular players as their winner, separate from the fans vote, did not place some of these same players on 1st or 2nd team all KIL Prep Extra. These "teams" come from the same people. Explain that please. That's like winning a drawing you didn't buy a ticket for.

Ironman80,

Surely you can't believe that no one on South-Doyle or Central's football team is better than any player on Maryville's defense. I would argue that many teams, including Halls, had players that would play a lot in Maryville's system. Maryville has proven year in and out to be a dominant team in the state, but even their own coach admits that they are not the most talented individually. You must be drinking the Kool-Aid made in Blount County. Going deep in the playoffs does not prove a great defensive player, but it does prove a great defensive team that responds well to great coaching and playing within a system. Also, how do you know that Cody McCoy didn't worry about stats? He might have, but that is irrelevant. The selections of the "pros" doesn't depend on what the kids were thinking do they? To an extent, I agree with part of your argument. The part about total tackles. They can be misleading, but are tackles for loss and sacks misleading? If they are, then Reggie White would never be mentioned in the record books. Obviously they mean nothing to Prep Extra.

whatheheck -

- You didn't uderstand what I said. According to stats, South Doyle and Central would have 8 players better than Marvilles BEST player. That's a joke! Maryville's defense was the best we saw. Good defenses are made up of good palyers. The best defensive players we saw played for Maryville.

- I can't say that about offense. Both Powell and Clinton had offenses that were really good. Again, good offenses are made up of good players. Kier Houston and Darin Stone were the best QB's I saw. I have no idea how their stats look.

- LB is like QB on defense, winning is the top priority and getting everyone in the right position. I do think sacks, TFL's. etc. can be very misleading. Last year we had a player get 3 sacks in two quarters against a weaker opponent (almost 4). Had this kid played the entire ballgame, 7 to 8 sacks wouldn't have been out of the question. Had we played a few more weaker opponents, 20 sacks for the year would have been a real possibilty.

- Again, if this "mystery" LB you keep talking about led a GOOD defense to a championship run, let us know who he is. I really have no idea who you are talking about - I might've thought he was a heck of a player. Until then, I have to say I agree with the LB's as I saw them on the PrepXtra.

uknowme-

I can Farragut had one of the best defense they have had in a long time at this school and not one player made All-State or KIL Prep team just on offense. I think this is a sad thing to see. 21 Int's as a team this year along with 22.5 sacks at least one sack in every game beside the Bearden game and they play a 3-5-3 defense and you can say they pretty much won the last 6 games plus all the games in the playoff's for Farragut.

whatheheck -

- You didn't uderstand what I said. According to stats, South Doyle and Central would have 8 players better than Marvilles BEST player. That's a joke! Maryville's defense was the best we saw. Good defenses are made up of good palyers. The best defensive players we saw played for Maryville.

- I can't say that about offense. Both Powell and Clinton had offenses that were really good. Again, good offenses are made up of good players. Kier Houston and Darin Stone were the best QB's I saw. I have no idea how their stats look.

- LB is like QB on defense, winning is the top priority and getting everyone in the right position. I do think sacks, TFL's. etc. can be very misleading. Last year we had a player get 3 sacks in two quarters against a weaker opponent (almost 4). Had this kid played the entire ballgame, 7 to 8 sacks wouldn't have been out of the question. Had we played a few more weaker opponents, 20 sacks for the year would have been a real possibilty.

- Again, if this "mystery" LB you keep talking about led a GOOD defense to a championship run, let us know who he is. I really have no idea who you are talking about - I might've thought he was a heck of a player. Until then, I have to say I agree with the LB's as I saw them on the PrepXtra.

Your explanation clears up a little of my confusion; the syntax got me; however, I'm not speaking about any one player in particular. When did I mention a "mystery" linebacker? I'm simply responding to my interpretation of your post. Sure a player can pad stats, but if sacks and tackles for loss are spread out over a season against all offenses good or bad, and his numbers are better than other defensive players against the same offenses, that has to speak highly of that player. Also, I'm not sure how defenders played against Halls alone is the best measuring stick. You have to look at the body of work. High school football is relative. I've witnessed bad teams have success against good defenses simply due to one mismatch or "unconventional" formation. Case in point, several years ago a terrible South-Doyle, and no I'm not a South-Doyle supporter, team nearly beat a great defensive team at Jeff. County by running the option that wasn't expected. By your last paragraph, a great defensive player on a terrible defensive team would never get recognized unless he alone could lead a team to a championship or at least a run at one. After all, these honorary awards are individual recognitions not team recognitions. Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but it seems to me this line of thinking leads to situations like the Heistman Trophy in 1997. Remember Peyton was great on a decent team, and Woodson was decent on a really good team. Finally, some of these so called best players were relegated to 2nd and 3rd teamers at the KY-TN Border Bowl played yesterday in Williamsburg. One in particular, and I won't mention his name, a linebacker, was moved to backup center. This is fact, I was there for the game and the better part of two days.

whtatheheck -

- You make some really good points. My comment at the "mystery" LB was at uknowme, who claims the PrepXtra LB's were a joke (implying their stats were not as good as others, thus they couldn't be as good). I claimed I thought the players were deserving at that position.

- I agree that great players can be on weak teams. But I also believe that QBs and LBs can be great without great stats, simply by leading their teams to greatness. I know I'm old fashioned, but I like the old days when peolple would do their jobs and allow others to make the tackle - not seeking personal glory but team success.