Dyersburg Trojans

mrbigster

The rumor mill has it that Bart will be bringing his father, long-time West Tennessee coach Jim Stowe, with him. That would be a plus, I think. Shades of the Kiffins in Knoxville!

Maybe he will bring someone who can coach pass defense. I have a lot of respect for Coach Counce, but never really saw much pass defense during his years here.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bringing his father?....How old is Coach Stowe?....I am thinking he and Coach Tucker from Milan are about the SAME age and Coach Tucker is 75....That is what was told to me over the Thanksgiving Holidays....

Papa stowe is how everyone got to know him at haywood will just be in the box on gamedays on the headset...im anxious to see tho the other coaches he will bring in with him.

What does this mean?

For all of you with short or selective memories what has been the knock on Haywood Tomcat football the past few years??...

When my son was in the region with Haywood as a member of the OC Rebel football team, it was that the Tomcats were always very athletic...They probably had the best looking talent and the most physically imposing athletes of anyone in the region....The knock on them was they were VERY undisciplined...They seemed to always turn the ball over at the worst times...They seemed to always be penalized the most....It was asked quite a bit wonder how good this Haywood team would be with a coach that got the players to be disciplined.....

I would say that is what was meant by the post....

I hope the Trojan following give Stowe more of a chance than they gave Bowling....10-2 wasn't good enough....

For all of you with short or selective memories what has been the knock on Haywood Tomcat football the past few years??...

When my son was in the region with Haywood as a member of the OC Rebel football team, it was that the Tomcats were always very athletic...They probably had the best looking talent and the most physically imposing athletes of anyone in the region....The knock on them was they were VERY undisciplined...They seemed to always turn the ball over at the worst times...They seemed to always be penalized the most....It was asked quite a bit wonder how good this Haywood team would be with a coach that got the players to be disciplined.....

I hope the Trojan following give Stowe more of a chance than they gave Bowling....10-2 wasn't good enough....

I liked Darren...I think what he has done at OC and UC is amazing...He was in a "NO WIN" situation at Dyersburg when Logan Parker came down....That was THE TEAM everybody had been waiting on since they were in 8th grade...and Bowling WASN"T a discipilnarian....Kennedy was his hatchet man...

That being said...Hope Stowe does alright...He is OUR COACH now...So we have to SUPPORT him...Word is he is bringing a RATHER LARGE African American coach with him...I have heard the kids talk and they say...THIS GUY IS HUGE...and they think he is gonna be part of Stowe's staff...wonder who he is?...

I liked Darren...I think what he has done at OC and UC is amazing...He was in a "NO WIN" situation at Dyersburg when Logan Parker came down....That was THE TEAM everybody had been waiting on since they were in 8th grade...and Bowling WASN"T a discipilnarian....Kennedy was his hatchet man...

That being said...Hope Stowe does alright...He is OUR COACH now...So we have to SUPPORT him...Word is he is bringing a RATHER LARGE African American coach with him...I have heard the kids talk and they say...THIS GUY IS HUGE...and they think he is gonna be part of Stowe's staff...wonder who he is?...

Maybe it is one of his two black assistants at Haywood... Coach Seymour or Coach Beard both former Haywood High alums and Coach Seymour played at the U of M if I am not mistaken and Beard at TSU..

I just wonder how much longer this mantra that Dyersburg fans ran Darren Bowling away is going to continue. Purple and Gold, you especially should know that UC was always Bowling's choice--he was just on a year's sabbatical at Dyersburg. His on-field coaching was not the problem. Ask people who were on the inside at Dyersburg about his and his assistants' teaching (or lack of it), the cleanliness and orderliness of the dressing room area, the overall team discipline, and his slipshod management style. I was most appalled by his attempt to credit God and his handicapped daughter for his decision to leave. (I personally suspect that God has better things to do than choose positions for high school football coaches.) Bowling was marking time at Dyersburg; he left some of his assistants "high and dry" here, leading some to believe until the last wek he was here that he was staying. Dyersburg got 10 wins and a fine man in Coach Decker out of the deal.

I just wonder how much longer this mantra that Dyersburg fans ran Darren Bowling away is going to continue. Purple and Gold, you especially should know that UC was always Bowling's choice--he was just on a year's sabbatical at Dyersburg. His on-field coaching was not the problem. Ask people who were on the inside at Dyersburg about his and his assistants' teaching (or lack of it), the cleanliness and orderliness of the dressing room area, the overall team discipline, and his slipshod management style. I was most appalled by his attempt to credit God and his handicapped daughter for his decision to leave. (I personally suspect that God has better things to do than choose positions for high school football coaches.) Bowling was marking time at Dyersburg; he left some of his assistants "high and dry" here, leading some to believe until the last wek he was here that he was staying. Dyersburg got 10 wins and a fine man in Coach Decker out of the deal.

Augielio....

Coach Bowling would have never left Obion Central had he known he wasn't going to be at Dyersburg but a year...He has already told some of his former players that it was a mistake to leave OC...As far as UC goes, the Tornadoes had a coach...UC isn't in the business of running coaches off...They have had four coaches now since 1975...Fishel would still be the coach at Union City, more than likely, had his team not lost to Gleason....There was no "master plan" between Bowling and Union City to have Bowling quit OC, accept the job at Dyersburg, stay a year so UC could get rid of Fishel then have Bowling take over....Dyersburg's players never were sold on Bowling's system...In one year, less than that actually, Bowling changed the culture at Union City, turned a passing team into a running team and took a QB who hadn't played football since his freshman year and turned him into a all-state player....He turned a passive, weak team into a 10-2 program in a year...You don't do that without being able to manage and teach discipline...Ask some of those Union City kids about discipline.....Had Dyersburg's players taken grasp of his proven philosophy, especially with the athletes they had, the sky would have been the limit....

As far as dressing rooms and whatnot...The first thing Bowling did at Union City was bring in new weight equipment, remodeled the weight room, remodeled the dressing room and got new uniforms.....I went in the dressing room one night during the week when they were playing youth league football there at the stadium...You could eat off the floors in that place...Again, during the week an hour or two after a practice...Alot of that is players taking pride in their house and program...Coaches shouldn't have to be janitors as well...

You do remember that Bowling actually offered the job back to Counce after he was hired when he thought there was a chance Counce wanted to come back??...He did that knowing he didn't have a job....At the time the Union City job wasn't open...

As far as God and his daughter, I don't think you or me or anyone else should have the gall to question that...

My goodness...when is everyone going to get over the fact that Dyersburg let the wind out of Darren Bowling's sails. He just didn't fit here. Simple as that. It happens. Get over it. I could sit here and list the pros and cons of Darren Bowling all day. He is gone. It is over and he is never coming back. We have a new coach. His name is Stowe and that is whats important at this point.

My goodness...when is everyone going to get over the fact that Dyersburg let the wind out of Darren Bowling's sails. He just didn't fit here. Simple as that. It happens. Get over it. I could sit here and list the pros and cons of Darren Bowling all day. He is gone. It is over and he is never coming back. We have a new coach. His name is Stowe and that is whats important at this point.

In the very limited time he was there, I doubt very seriously if you could honestly do that...

Good luck with your new coach.....His Haywood County teams have been consistently criticized over the years by posters of every team in the region on his lack of discipline .... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

In the very limited time he was there, I doubt very seriously if you could honestly do that...

Good luck with your new coach.....His Haywood County teams have been consistently criticized over the years by posters of every team in the region on his lack of discipline .... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Whatever.....