17.8 rebounds per game, 11.3 assists per game

Indian

These were the numbers for a couple of area leaders in the paper this morning. I would like to watch films of their games, especially the assists. The assists are by a player averaging 16 points a game herself and the team scores 64 per game, with free throws (I'm guessing 8 per game, that might be a low estimate) and her own points taken out that probably leaves them with about 20 field goals per game by players other than her. That's not even counting three-pointers which would lower the number of made field goals per game-they made 15 threes in two games this week. I just can't believe one player is getting actual assists on over half the field goals scored by her teammates. That would mean the other players are barely getting any assists at all except to her and the other players score few baskets without her passing it to them. They also have won some games by large margins and I doubt she's out there passing in the fourth quarter.

It's not a big deal really but it's annoying to read.

These were the numbers for a couple of area leaders in the paper this morning. I would like to watch films of their games, especially the assists. The assists are by a player averaging 16 points a game herself and the team scores 64 per game, with free throws (I'm guessing 8 per game, that might be a low estimate) and her own points taken out that probably leaves them with about 20 field goals per game by players other than her. That's not even counting three-pointers which would lower the number of made field goals per game-they made 15 threes in two games this week. I just can't believe one player is getting actual assists on over half the field goals scored by her teammates. That would mean the other players are barely getting any assists at all except to her and the other players score few baskets without her passing it to them. They also have won some games by large margins and I doubt she's out there passing in the fourth quarter.

I noticed the same thing Indian. Sounds like someone doesnt know what the definition of an ASSIST is. My opinion of the new paper stats is it hurts you more than it helps you. Team wise and player wise.

I noticed the same thing Indian. Sounds like someone doesnt know what the definition of an ASSIST is. My opinion of the new paper stats is it hurts you more than it helps you. Team wise and player wise.

There are a lot of people doing stats who don't know what an assist means. And there are a lot who don't care as long as they make their player look as good as possible. Let's just say that they don't mind too much if they error in a more positive direction. There was this one AAU website where the team listed all their player's individual scoring averages. If you add all the averages together, the sum ended up significantly larger than their team's scoring average. I checked to see if maybe they were listing the player's high school average but if they were it was an exaggerated version. The assists stats also couldn't have been right given the number of points they averaged per game.

I'm sure all the college coaches are quite aware that this stuff goes on. But it's still real irritating especially if your daughter has to compete against that.

I'm thinking anytime she's involved in a score at all they give her one, on every pass into the lane regardless of what the post has to do afterward, etc. That would still be pushing it because of their free throws and their threes bringing down the field goals made per game, they made a lot of threes again last night. This is an excellent player who has a chance to play Division I in college, she's only a junior and it's not like they're trying to build a bad player into a good one. The stats in the paper won't matter to college coaches as far as signing her or not but they may not like reading 11 a game in stats submitted to them, then seeing on film it's less, maybe a lot less.

The points per game as a team might not equal the individuals' averages added together since the minutes played by each will vary every game. Say a freshman plays 3 of the first 6 games and scores a total of 20 points, she might average as much as a starter who's played every game.

• 2 weeks later...

This happens a lot.

This same team is credited with 22 assists per game by their top four passers, in the Chattanooga area stats. If they make an average of 5 threes which is about how it looks going by their box scores, that's nearly 50 points out of their 62 being scored off passes, leaving only 12 points for foul shots or players doing anything on their own (making a steal and getting the lay-up, making their own move to the basket, etc).

Just remember that the coach has alot to say about this as well. All balls go through---you name the player---the girls do what they are told or get yelled at.