Is The System Flawed?

a09

I understand that in the State Individual Tournament, every district is represented. This system seems slightly unfair to me. I averaged 207 this season, but i came in fifth in my district and won't be participating in the State Indivdual Tournament. After looking at the list of competitors, i counted that there are 56 bowlers participating in the Tournament that averaged less than me. Now don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to talk down anyone else's accomplishments or say that I deserve to be there more than anyone else. Those guys earned their spots. I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks that the system is flawed? Should the top 64 averages overall from the state be taken? Opinions please.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you that there should be some way to include more bowlers from Districts or Regions where there are LOTS of strong bowlers. But where do you draw the line? Also, some bowlers roll a majority of their games in centers where there are very good lane conditions all of the time, while others may bowl on very tough conditions most if not all of the time. So that would have to be a consideration as well. I certainly don't have the answers, but it does seem unfair that a 200+ average bowler of any kind be left out, yet someone with a 150 or lower average can make it. We'll see what others have to say!

I agree with you that there should be some way to include more bowlers from Districts or Regions where there are LOTS of strong bowlers. But where do you draw the line? Also, some bowlers roll a majority of their games in centers where there are very good lane conditions all of the time, while others may bowl on very tough conditions most if not all of the time. So that would have to be a consideration as well. I certainly don't have the answers, but it does seem unfair that a 200+ average bowler of any kind be left out, yet someone with a 150 or lower average can make it. We'll see what others have to say!

It hppened the same way last year. Jake Flatt from Columbia Central averaged 211, ranking him in the top ten in the state, and fifth in district 8, but did not make the tournament. It is not necessarily "fair", but it's how it is done. I understand your complaints, given that Jake had the talent to do some damage in the tourney, but it's the way the rules fall sometimes that make you work harder.

Good luck to all of those competing this year, team and individuals!

It hppened the same way last year. Jake Flatt from Columbia Central averaged 211, ranking him in the top ten in the state, and fifth in district 8, but did not make the tournament. It is not necessarily "fair", but it's how it is done. I understand your complaints, given that Jake had the talent to do some damage in the tourney, but it's the way the rules fall sometimes that make you work harder.

Good luck to all of those competing this year, team and individuals!

i say all 200 plus averages get in

I understand that in the State Individual Tournament, every district is represented. This system seems slightly unfair to me. I averaged 207 this season, but i came in fifth in my district and won't be participating in the State Indivdual Tournament. After looking at the list of competitors, i counted that there are 56 bowlers participating in the Tournament that averaged less than me. Now don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to talk down anyone else's accomplishments or say that I deserve to be there more than anyone else. Those guys earned their spots. I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks that the system is flawed? Should the top 64 averages overall from the state be taken? Opinions please.

I think they should take the top 50 bowlers in the whole state.

I think they should take the top 50 bowlers in the whole state.

I totally agree. We should take the top 64 guys and girls from across the state and let them roll. How in the world is someone who averages in the low 100's going to compete with kids who consistently average 40-50 sticks higher.

Yes, Jake Flatt is a very good bowler and should have made it! But i bet he isn't worried about it since he has his own ring to wear.

HEY TSSAA change the rules!!!!

I totally agree. We should take the top 64 guys and girls from across the state and let them roll. How in the world is someone who averages in the low 100's going to compete with kids who consistently average 40-50 sticks higher.

Yes, Jake Flatt is a very good bowler and should have made it! But i bet he isn't worried about it since he has his own ring to wear.

HEY TSSAA change the rules!!!!

dixie I don't believe you would really want to do this. Most bowlers, coaches, and parents who are in the "bowling industry" or very closely connected to it (you may be one!) know that there are only a certain number of centers around the state that support HS bowling enough to put out a really good lane condition for the kids. And like it or not, this definitely has an effect on how high the averages are! If TSSAA did take only the top 64 averages, then a few teams would have most if not all of their starters qualify, and then some of the smaller districts or regions in rural areas that may not have the easiest lane conditions wouldn't stand a chance! And many of these kids could average much higher if bowling on the easy conditions that others have. Again, I would love to see more of the top kids advance, but I'm really not sure how you could go about it any differently than it is already being done.

By the way...I really like your posts on here - you are like MOST of us who come on here - supporting and wishing the best for the KIDS, because that is what its all about!!

dixie I don't believe you would really want to do this. Most bowlers, coaches, and parents who are in the "bowling industry" or very closely connected to it (you may be one!) know that there are only a certain number of centers around the state that support HS bowling enough to put out a really good lane condition for the kids. And like it or not, this definitely has an effect on how high the averages are! If TSSAA did take only the top 64 averages, then a few teams would have most if not all of their starters qualify, and then some of the smaller districts or regions in rural areas that may not have the easiest lane conditions wouldn't stand a chance! And many of these kids could average much higher if bowling on the easy conditions that others have. Again, I would love to see more of the top kids advance, but I'm really not sure how you could go about it any differently than it is already being done.

By the way...I really like your posts on here - you are like MOST of us who come on here - supporting and wishing the best for the KIDS, because that is what its all about!!

I see your point. Yet is sure is a shame that talented bowlers who average 190 plus get left out of the "dance".

As far as my posts on this site, thanks. I just feel the urge to defend what is right, what is the truth, and continue to verbally at least support the kids.

As with everything else we all remember how we too once were teenagers and we said stupid things and had to apologize. I say this in reference to the situation on the Nashville Overton post. It is just sad that good people-kids and coaches from Hendersonville and White Station have to suffer through the barrage of criticism from others who may be upset over a past loss or jealous of someone elses successes.

Why is it not possible for people to simply talk about bowling on this site and not get in to the drama- I am so over it.

I see where your school is doing well- best wishes to you and your teams in the upcoming tournament,

there is alot of good girls and boys out there and i heard that there was boys there with a avg of 176 ish that made it and wuit after the 2 game because it wasnt fair for them to be on a level with a 215 avg bowler he is a way underdog i state ....cc and soddy and hixson and white station all got good bowlers in the dis and region and i know there is more than 4 bowlers that have a avg of 190 + and some of the boys in state never in the life bowled on sport shot or there bowling alley have to much people bowling in there city and always a full house they dot have time to set up sport shots and pba pattern league high school cant go in because they have youth or something like that...

i dont they it is fair for syrmna to have distict and regions and state there....i was talking to tssaa to take it to another state that no1 is from switch with ky like.... ky's high school bowl in tn and we bowl in ky...what do yall they of that??

there is alot of good girls and boys out there and i heard that there was boys there with a avg of 176 ish that made it and wuit after the 2 game because it wasnt fair for them to be on a level with a 215 avg bowler he is a way underdog i state ....cc and soddy and hixson and white station all got good bowlers in the dis and region and i know there is more than 4 bowlers that have a avg of 190 + and some of the boys in state never in the life bowled on sport shot or there bowling alley have to much people bowling in there city and always a full house they dot have time to set up sport shots and pba pattern league high school cant go in because they have youth or something like that...

i dont they it is fair for syrmna to have distict and regions and state there....i was talking to tssaa to take it to another state that no1 is from switch with ky like.... ky's high school bowl in tn and we bowl in ky...what do yall they of that??

from what i have been able to gather in behind the scenes research, the state tournament will NEVER leave smyrna because the powers that be all are tied in with TSSAA in some form or fashion and refuse to allow the state tournament to travel from year to year.

I mean their are big cities like Knoxville and Memphis that not only have enough hotel space but also good bowling alleys to be able to host this tournament. Also, if you look at Smyrna's schedule they bowled all but two of their matches at Smyrna, I guess there is just no other alley that has good lanes because the people say that the lanes at murfreesboro are not good.

Ask yourself this, while some of the issues concerning bowling are centered around other sports, yet the location of the state tournament is not even a consideration. Football and basketball teams all play the major tournament games on a neutral site in murfreesboro and in football the lower seed travels. Most other sports play major tournament matches at neutral sites.

I guess the rest of us simply have to go along with the show since we don't have the pull or finances to change things.

TEAM STATE TOURNAMENT:

BOYS

2002 - Hendersonville

2003 - Hendersonville

2004 - Hendersonville

2005 - Smyrna

2006 - Smyrna

2007 - Hixson

2008 - Columbia Central

With this info, one would have to assume that it is somewhat of an advantage for teams from the Smyrna area. However, in my opinion, the only advantage they have is that they don't have to travel and stay at a hotel to attend the tournaments (which, in all honesty, is quite convenient). When it comes to the bowling aspect of the tournament, they don't have a better chance of rolling high scores than anyone else. Hixson proved it and so did Columbia Central. The most amazing memory I have about the state tournament was back in 2007, when Hixson was bowling against White Station in the semi-final. White Station hammered out a 3937 against Hixson! Hixson could have gone home that day complaining about some reason why they lost, but they refused to lose. They fired right back with a 3946 and won the match 16-11. That's what defines a champion... They didn't worry about house advantages, not that White Station had one in the first place. Their hearts were there to bowl, just like Smyrna in 05 and 06, Hendersonville in 02, 03, and 04, and Columbia Central last year.

INDIVIDUAL STATE TOURNAMENT:

CRITERIA:

1) Bowler must have bowled in at least 2/3 of the total games in the regular season.

2) The top 3 averages in each district (who meet rule 1) will be allowed into the tournament.

3) The remaining 18 spots will go to the residual bowlers in the state (who meet rule 1) with the highest 18 averages.

Who thinks this would work better? It would represent the top bowlers from each district while still being fair to others who weren't top in the district but still had a high average.

Here is a simple solution.

Let every bowler enter a state individual sectional and pay $12 to bowl 4 games. The top 24 from each section advances to the state tournament.

3 tournaments - Memphis, Nashville, and Chattanooga

Regional Directors pick the center and date.

You can still require the 2/3 rule or some minimum number of games to be eligible, but then a kid that does not think he/she has a chance will not bowl and they are all qualifying on an identical condition to decide who makes the Big Show.

Shoot holes in it!